Thread: Seperation Anxiety???

Seperation Anxiety???

Loki, seems to be so attached to me that he cannot bear to even be a few feet away! If I am standing at the counter or sink, or anywhere for that matter, he will scale my body, and perch on my shoulder! If I am busy doing something, like cleaning, he will meow untill I talk to him, or pet him. He cannot stand to be alone, he will tolerate attention from the rest of the family if I am not around, but the moment he sees me he runs for me and scales my body to get to my shoulder, where he will just sit and purr all day long if I let him. Hubby has had to pluck Loki off my body Numerous times, and of course he finds it quite humerous! Loki dosent hurt me in his attention process, but I am so worried that this is not normal! Should I give him attention, or should I try to seperate from him some? I have never had an animal this attached to me before!

If you would like, here is thread about getting this little boy!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=114938
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Cats with issues TV

Sounds Like Loki can use our help. we are currently looking for cats with issues and the families that love them to be part of a new TV, where our licensed and trained vet/cat behaviorist comes to your home to help correct behavior and restore harmony. For Free! If you are interested please contact [email protected] for further info. we'd love to help!

Quote Originally Posted by callingallcats
    Sounds Like Loki can use our help. we are currently looking for cats with issues and the families that love them to be part of a new TV, where our licensed and trained vet/cat behaviorist comes to your home to help correct behavior and restore harmony. For Free! If you are interested please contact [email protected] for further info. we'd love to help!
    Sorry, but no thanks. I was realy just wondering if this behavior was normal, and If I should stop the behavior. Thanks anyways.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I'm not sure, I would love to see what other PTer's say.

To me, it sounds like this is little guy who was 'dumped" and didn't know WHAT to do. You stepped in and rescued him and he is afraid of being left again. So this should settle down over time. Some things which may help - set up a place for him and put in an old sweatshirt with you scent on it, or a towel with your scent. Does he enjoy sleeping on your bed? That is where your scent is the strongest and often where pets sleep when the owner is unavailable. No saying how long he was on his own, but he may have been taken away from his mom before he was ready, so again he needs time to heal and adjust to that. Give him lots of loving and petting and then set him down on the spot you set up for him with your scent. Of course, being so young he doesn't stay in one spot more than a moment!

I had another thought. Sleep with a small stuffed animal so that it has your scent. Then, use that as a pacifier. When you "take Loki off," give him the stuffed animal! Hope this helps.

Some cats need affection more than others. I think your cat may always want alot of TLC. Over time he may realize that you are going to be there for him, and relax about it. Just like a stray cat may overeat until he realizes the bowl will always be there for him.

I always tell my cat good bye when I'm leaving and I'll be back soon, in a little while, or later. After a while he learned how long it was and knew what to expect and adjusted better. Cats seem to like a routine they can predict. When I come home I give him a friendly greeting, and a hug, which we both enjoy.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Great Ideas!! I do tell him goodbye, and to be good! He does sleep in bed with me, kind of drives hubby nuts cause he goes to bed earlier than me, and Loki will not go to bed with him, he waits till I go to bed, then he comes with me I will definitely try thescent thing tho! Sounds like a great Idea! I figured it had to deal with him being left on his own, I dont mind all of the affection, I just dont want my leaving the house to be a huge issue for him. I find tat when I come home, he is right at the door waiting for me. Not sure if he is there all the time, or if he hears me coming. It is almost like having a dog! he he he he he! He may have only been here a week so far, but he has latched onto my heart, and will never let go! I have never had a cat this attached to me before. All the other cats I have ever brought into the house, have always had a deeper affection for my huby for some reason. Of course all the other cats to ever live here were girls too, Loki is the very first boy to live in our home! Makes him all that moe special!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Critter Crazy,
    Loki is what we call a “Velcro cat”, and a mighty cute one at that.
    Consider yourself lucky that he has chosen you to be his favorite human.
    My calico has always been like that. She is my little shadow, follows me everywhere and craves attention all the time which hasn’t changed in the 13 years she’s been with me.
    Like Cit Cat said, some cats are more affectionate than others and there is nothing wrong with him.
    At his age he probably wants to play all the time, and if he is keeping you too busy you might want to consider getting him a playmate. How does he get along with your gorgeous Bloodhound?

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

My Starr is also some what like this but as he's gotten older he's become a little bit more independent. Loki sounds like he loves you very much and he sounds like such a sweetheart too.

I have 4 males and 2 females and I've found that the males tend be much more needy when it comes to needing their daily pets,belly rubs,cuddles,scritches etc. Maybe Loki would also like to have another kitten to play with and this might help him feel less lonely thoughtout the day. Most of my cats will also be greeting me at the door when I come home and this is prefectly normal. They're hungry and want to fed.

Quote Originally Posted by auggie
    Critter Crazy,
    Loki is what we call a “Velcro cat”, and a mighty cute one at that.
    Consider yourself lucky that he has chosen you to be his favorite human.
    My calico has always been like that. She is my little shadow, follows me everywhere and craves attention all the time which hasn’t changed in the 13 years she’s been with me.
    Like Cit Cat said, some cats are more affectionate than others and there is nothing wrong with him.
    At his age he probably wants to play all the time, and if he is keeping you too busy you might want to consider getting him a playmate. How does he get along with your gorgeous Bloodhound?
    He is curous about the dog, but dosent dare get close yet, just sits at a distance and watches! he does have a love for the bunnies! he sleeps on their new indoor cage, and licks them through the cage! quite cute! I love the affection, and I am glad it is not uncommon! *sigh of relief!*
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    My Starr is also some what like this but as he's gotten older he's become a little bit more independent. Loki sounds like he loves you very much and he sounds like such a sweetheart too.

I have 4 males and 2 females and I've found that the males tend be much more needy when it comes to needing their daily pets,belly rubs,cuddles,scritches etc. Maybe Loki would also like to have another kitten to play with and this might help him feel less lonely thoughtout the day. Most of my cats will also be greeting me at the door when I come home and this is prefectly normal. They're hungry and want to fed.
    I wouldlove to go out and get a new kitty for loki to play with, but i am afraid I would be pushing the envelope with hubby's patience He tolerates all of my critters, but pefers not to have as he puts it"a small petting Zoo" he he he he! maybe someday! But for now, I dont work, so I am home all day long, except when i have to run errands. So he has plenty to do here with me. we just got new toys and a collar for Loki, and he is quite content! Such a sweety! he even took a shower with me the other morning! couldnt believe my eyes, he just jumped right in, and begged to be picked up! so I gave him a bath, since he was already wet! Crazy Kitty!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Rescuing/Adopting young cats

When I rescued Grasshopper, she was just under three months old. She clung to me like velcro also. I concluded later on that it was a bonding process. She was my shadow all of her nearly 18 years, however the clinginess lightened up as she grew older.
    I have just adopted Spencer, who is around four years old, and although in the short time we've been together, he has become attached, and is affectionate, he hasn't "velcro'd" me all the time like Grassopper did. I find the quality of affection to be the same, so my conclusion has been it was due to the age of the kitty when I entered his or her life.
    Perhaps this is the case with Loki, especially considering how young he is - ? It's kind of like babies - as tiring as it is being up and down all night, you know those days of need and nurture will never come again, and you deal with them and treasure them. (Most of the time !)
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Well I do understand that I have been a little out of the loop but I can offer some insight on this subject.
    I have a male cat the I bought out of a pet store (a bad one at that). Anyway when I brought him home he was covered in fleas,ear mites, and worms. But I loved him and it didn't much matter how sick he was. He had some issues with separation from his siblings which were still at the pet store. He would not sit still always crying all night long. Well I found out that he needed the face rubs that his mother must have given him. Once I did that I was forever known as Mommy. He is 5 yrs old now and about 18 lbs and the only way he sleeps is in my hair kneeding my neck and ratting my hair into a great big mess. I really don't think that his reaction to you is out of the ordinary he just really loves you. And I guess you should feel blessed that he has chosen you because up to this point he must have had no one that the little guy could have really counted on. My orange tabby Tucker is my boy there is no doubt in my mind that he would be miserable without his mom. I love that especially since I know that I am his favorite he is always there for me even when my husband isn't around. He is my bestfriend and look at your baby as a bestfriend and the connection with your little boy will pay you 10 fold. I promise!!