Thread: Separation anxiety?

Question Separation anxiety?

I have had my dog (Jack Russell) for less than a month and she has been my little shadow since I got her. I just went away for 3 days and she stayed at the house with my roomate. We keep her crated during the day and she is always fine. However, right after I left on Friday she sulked for awhile and would not eat for 24 hours. I got back last night and she just doesn't seem like herself. She is walking strangely (walking with one of her rear legs up), she goes right into her crate after she eats and plays for a few minutes and doesn't come out. She didn't do this before I left. Is she still suffering from separation anxiety? How can I get her out of this? I am going out of town on business for 2 weeks and I don't know what she'll do then. Please Help!

Sounds like she hurt herself somehow. Even if its just a pulled muscle, she might be hurt. It doesn't sound like separation anxiety... that is a whole different situation and you'd know she has it by destryoing everything to get out the door to you and barking her head off.

I agree. This definitely isn't SA. It sounds more physical than mental. I'd call the vet and get her checked out as soon as possible. You might want to ask your roommate if she acted like this during your leave and if she might have gotten injured.

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl
    I have had my dog (Jack Russell) for less than a month and she has been my little shadow since I got her. I just went away for 3 days and she stayed at the house with my roomate. We keep her crated during the day and she is always fine. However, right after I left on Friday she sulked for awhile and would not eat for 24 hours. I got back last night and she just doesn't seem like herself. She is walking strangely (walking with one of her rear legs up), she goes right into her crate after she eats and plays for a few minutes and doesn't come out. She didn't do this before I left. Is she still suffering from separation anxiety? How can I get her out of this? I am going out of town on business for 2 weeks and I don't know what she'll do then. Please Help!
    I agree it sounds like she hurt herself, or from being contained she is stiff.
    When you let her out, be calm and casual, and not really even pet her - just matter of fact, let her out and let her follow you out. After about whatever time it takes for her to come " back to herself" then give a little cookie. The cookie can NOT be associated with getting out because then she will worry when is she getting out to get a cookie.
    Also- take a look at her crate. Is it big enough? She should be easily able to turn around, easily fit a water bowl, and should have like a little kong or nyla bone to chew on. Also leave the music on her low. And put her in there when you are home for a few days so she knows nothing is going to happen to her.
    When you open the crate, just say nothing. Dont say " do you want to come out?" which raises the excitment to getting out.

Thank you

Thanks for your help everyone. Stitch is doing better, but I think she may have arthritis. It just started getting cool here in North Florida and that is when she started showing these symptoms. She still limps a little bit and has some lameness in her left leg, but it seems to be better. Her crate is a good size- not too big, not too small. She can stand up and turn around in it. I have a water bottle attached to the side for her. She will crawl into her crate at night when everyone is in the living room watching t.v. (her crate is between the LR and DR), so she really likes the crate. I am going to take her to the vet next week before I go out of town to have her checked for arthritis. I heard that it is easily treatable- just like in humans. I hope that is all it is..