Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free or For Sale?

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.

Free or For Sale?

If you were going to get rid of your pet, would you list it as free or for sale?

Apperentally, many potential adopters won't adopt if it says for sale, because they assume you will ask too much. Were as it is always dangerous getting rid of a pet for free. Many reasons: if you can't afford 100$ (or so ) will you be able to afford vet visits. Do you really want this pet as a pet? (see thread about animal abuser )

Anyways, wanted your feed-back.

P.S. Where is my poll?
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

well If I had absolutely no choice and had to get rid of one of my pets, I first would see if I could place my pet with a family member or close friend, If that was not possible I would give the animal away, but with strict reference checks. I am very protective of my animals, and would only want them to go to the best home. I had to do this with my horses this summer. I did not charge, but did extensive checks, and placed all 3 of my horses in the same home, and a great home it was. There was also a contract written up, that if their current owner could no longer take care of them, I would be involved in the re-homing process if I could not take them back myself. I would do the same thing for any one of my animals!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I would never get rid of any of my pets but if I absoulutly had to they would be FOR SALE or at least a small fee of an adoption fee because people who really want and care about the pet will pay.....

Well if I had to give a pet a new home I would..

Ask a pretty good price for it this way I would know the buyer is going to want this animal and take care of it well because they payed well for it,If this person did realy want a pet for free I would ask about the vet stuff and what kind of pets they have because of course I would not want a bird homed with a cat.

I don't plan on giving my pets a new home.
    Last edited by Argranade; 10-20-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    I would never get rid of any of my pets but if I absoulutly had to they would be FOR SALE or at least a small fee of an adoption fee because people who really want and care about the pet will pay.....
    Thats not nescesarrily true! I have seen many people go and pay 500-1,000$ for a pet and either do nothing with it, or beat it or kill it! Just because some one pays money for something dosent mean they realy care! I would rather give my animal away to someone I know I can trust, then take money from someone i dont know from adam! But this is just my opinon!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

uhh..NEITHER! my pets aren't going ANYWHERE!! ever!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Never ever, under any circumstances would I give away my dogs. I would list them as for sale. If they feel they connected with my dogs, they would be willing to be pay $125+.

I would do a homecheck, and a vet check.

But it doesn't matter anyway - my dogs are staying with me forever.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Firstly, my babies aren't going anywhere, but this is a poll just for fun so I will answer...

If I had to get rid of one of my pets, I would first see if a close friend or relative could take it, or at least someone I know has a good home for a pet and would be a great owner. But if I did not know the person well, or not know them at all, I would sell my pet. I would never give away for free. I would put a reasonable price on it and not go any lower. If a person truly wanted my pet and loved it when they met it, they would be willing to pay the reasonable price. If they ask for too much lower I probably wouldn't because that would make me wonder if they would go cheap on my pet or not have enough money for vet bills and other needed things. I would also ask about the living environment and other related things before I sold my pet.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

if i must give up a pet i would definatly ask for an adoption fee. if you can't afford a small adoption fee you can't afford a much more expensive vet bill when the dog gets hurt. i normally ask for $50 for my rescues. on occation i've "givin away" a pet. for example i didn't make Corinna pay the $50 adoption fee for Tyson...hell, she and her husband drove across the country to personally pick up their boxer boy.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Of course, I'd never get rid of my pets.. but if something happened that forced me to rehome for the comfort and safety of my own pet, I have relatives who would take the cats & dogs and friends that could take my rodents & birds. I've talked to them about it at some time or another, and they said they'd want to take them instead of seeing them go to a strange home.
    Though, out of the two choices, I'd put a price on my pets... especially the rats(as if some reptile people find cheap rats for sell, they'll use them as food). And like already mentioned, if a person isn't willing to pay a small fee for the animal, most likely, they won't want to pay for vet bills.

If I were unable to care for my dog, the first thing I would do is contact friends and family. I think at least one of them would be willing to take my baby. But if not, I would place her with the local American Eskimo rescue organization. I have worked with them before, and I know that they go to great lengths to find the best home for each dog.

In Atlanta if you take a dog to a local research center (the places where they put cosmetic's in dogs eyes to see how it will affect them, etc. etc.) they pay you $50. It is SO important for people down here to charge at LEAST $100 to re-home a pet. This is so that in no way can some sicko take the pet they just adopted from you and give it to research to make a quick $50. If you advertise Free to Good Home or anything like that it is very likely you just signed the contract for your pet to go to research. We have a thing here called Craigslist where you can advertise pets for adoption. Local sicko's browse that daily looking for free to good home adds and promise to give them great, loving homes. They then turn around and make a quick $50.

It's heartbreaking, but true. Someone can appear wonderful but in reality they aren't.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

My dogs aren't going anywhere but I did recently adopt out two Cockatiels I fostered for about a year. I did say free when I listed them but I also made it clear I would be asking A LOT of questions. I only listed them as free because I also let them know that the birds were not friendly and were likely to bite. I just wanted them to go to a home that would understand that and appreciate two birds that have had a hard life. I ended up finding a FANTASTIC home for them with a rescue worker. Their cage is more than double the size of our dogs' crates!

If I were to adopt out another foster, I wouldn't even specify if there would be a fee or not. Their primary concern should be about the animal, not the amount they'll have to spend to obtain it. There would be a fee in most cases to cover vet expenses but that is something they would find out after I screen their application.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

My babies arnt going anywhere! ..but if for some out of this world reason i HAD to find new homes for them, i would never ever just GIVE them away, their would be an adoption fee. And of course I would be extremly strict about what homes they went to.

If I didn't have family/friends to permanently or temporarily take in my dogs (which I do), and rescue orgs I know and trust couldn't or wouldn't take them in, they would go through our clubs' adoption process (and that includes their adoption fee).

I would never, ever offer my pets "free to good home."
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Robert McCloskey