Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my Bettas!

I got my Bettas!

I got 3 females and tried them together but its not working so tomorrow I'll be out getting a divided tank hopefully or 2 other tanks!

They dont have names yet and they are tiny! I've seen photos of bettas about but these are really small!

I'm not 100% clued up on the types and I'll try and get photos soon but my little blue girl is VERY lively!!

They are all ok, I saw 2 of them starting up on each other earlier so I thought it was best to seperate them.

Yes the "Educated" man in the shop told me my 4gallon tank could fit about 10 bettas, Im very glad I done research and asked from you guys because he obviously didnt have a clue! They are normally so good in there even if hes new its no excuse to lie like that.

So please pray I find a divider tank tomorrow! Ive not actually looked around for one but I dont remember ever seeing them either.

Are you sure they are females? Please post pictures and I can determine if they are males or not

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    Are you sure they are females? Please post pictures and I can determine if they are males or not
    Please note that some males look like females. So you really never know for a fact. I know there is someone on pt who thought they got a female and ended up having a male.

I had to laugh about the sales person saying that you could fit 10 in a tank. Sadly some people probally follow that advise.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

sorry they are blurry I really need to recharge my camera batteries but the 2 reds look the same but one is a tiny bit smaller

cant you tell from a spot on the belly? I cant remember if thats male or female

add to post

First&second look like a females, not sure about the third though. It looks somewhat like a male to me......because the fins are a little long to be a male's. Here, give a visit to these websites:
    How to sex Bettas
    Yahoo Answers- How do you tell the difference between a male and a female Betta?
    Good luck!

any other suggestions? The blue has an "egg spot" but that can mean both male and female?

Im keeping them all apart anyway so it just curiousity more than anything.

Zoomer sorry if I offended you, I dont think you took what I said the way I wanted you to, I do appreciate your help and I had no intentions of offending you, you have helped me alot so thanks and sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy4paws
    any other suggestions? The blue has an "egg spot" but that can mean both male and female?

Im keeping them all apart anyway so it just curiousity more than anything.

Zoomer sorry if I offended you, I dont think you took what I said the way I wanted you to, I do appreciate your help and I had no intentions of offending you, you have helped me alot so thanks and sorry
    Oh thanks but you have nothing to be sorry for, I just get uptight easily and I know you didn't mean to offend me when we Instant Messaged Thanks for giving me someone to talk to! I love talking pets

All look like females. Don't jump to seperating them too early. Remember that they have to develope a hierarchy. Let them meet each other a few times over if you need. My girls will tear tail fins if they get in a tiff but they don't go further than that.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

So maybe put them back just to see again? they all look alot more lively today which is definatly a good thing! I think I'll still get a small spare tank or 2 just incase it happens again, the only reason they didnt get a tank last night was because it was late last night but the containers have enough water to keep them a happy for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy4paws
    So maybe put them back just to see again? they all look alot more lively today which is definatly a good thing! I think I'll still get a small spare tank or 2 just incase it happens again, the only reason they didnt get a tank last night was because it was late last night but the containers have enough water to keep them a happy for the time being
    Why don't you just keep them seperate just in case? They could fight and ripped fins cause a great deal of stress. If they didn't get along the first time I don't suggest taking the risk a second time. I wouldn't, anyway... There's no harm in doing that...

Right, Ok let me explain.

I went to pets at home twice today and didnt have much luck, they sold goldfish bowls but that was about it they DID have a pet carrier which I've found online too I got the second biggest but they only had one and it was on offer and they wont be getting more in unfortunatly!

I got quoted on a divider at £7.50 but getting to the shop if another story because I dont drive and buses on sunday are a nightmare so atm they have a piece of plastic dividing them up in the bigger tank so they each have their own space.

I cant actually buy online because I dont use my card on my computer because I dont think its secure enough in that way so they will have to make do atm with that they all have, hopefully I can find 2more tanks like the one above so I can have them in their own tanks rather than a big bulky tank and a small one.

I also got some more gravel and some plastic plants today along with an ornimental bridge and a ship wreck boat so I've had fun decorating the tank! I got some stress coat and they seem to be ok in their own spaces but its only a temperary thing, I cant physically do much for them until monday I can look tomorrow in my local town they have one petshop and thats it! I havent slept properly for 4 days now and over that time I've had about 8 hours sleep and worrying about my bettas isnt helping so Im trying my hardest to make it liveable for them and I dont want people to think Im mistreating them because im not Im doing the best I physically can do

Decorations are great. They help the females establish their own territory. In my tank, each girl has their own little cave or hiding spot. Make sure decorations are not hollow and have no space to get stuck. if they are hollow, fill the hollow area with filter media or something, because if they can swim into the hollow decoration, they will, and they will get stuck.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Thanks, I've made sure I got them big enough for them to fit in I've seen both go through plenty of times so its a good fit

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    Why don't you just keep them seperate just in case? They could fight and ripped fins cause a great deal of stress. If they didn't get along the first time I don't suggest taking the risk a second time. I wouldn't, anyway... There's no harm in doing that...
    I think IRescue knows alot more of what shes talking about, alot more then you anyways, you made your betta kill your neons because you didnt like them so I dont know why you would be trying to be giving advice on bettas.
    Like IRescue said her girls fight a little bit sometimes too but they work it out and a few ripped fins isnt going to kill them. Maybe she would rather have them all together and maybe THAT is easier for her.

Your not a expert on fish so stop claming you are and stop harassing people through pm's
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Pretty fish, look like females too me as I used to have many of them in a tank together with at least 2 large plants, with these plants in there the fish had cover just incase another fish would chase them.

Sometimes females will get a bit agressive towards each other but thats usualy if the tanks too small, if the tank is large enough and there are many planted hiding spots all your females should be fine...I never had my female betta's fight actualy this post is making me want some female bettas lol I forgot how pretty they where in my tank....*saves money for some*.

Beautiful fish..cheers!