Thread: MOLLY-SEPARATION ANXIETY+

MOLLY-SEPARATION ANXIETY+

HI DOTD FRIENDS, I'M BACK FROM WN.DC & STILL FEELING THE PANGS OF GRIEF AND THE ANXIETY OF AN IMPENDING WAR. MY HUBBY & I LEFT ON THE 17TH IN A PLANE 1/2 FULL OF SOMBER PEOPLE. WE LEFT OUR BEST FRIENDS BEHIND, MY MOM IN A WHEELCHAIR & OUR DOG "MOLLY" WHO NEEDS 2 EYE DROPS A DAY FOR GLAUCOMA. WE CALLED MY RETIRED, MARINE BROTHER BACK INTO ACTIVE DUTY TO TAKE CARE OF THE " THE SPECIAL NEEDS" AT HOME. ALL WENT WELL UNTIL NIGHT FELL. MOLLY G. FOLLOWED HER CUSTOMARY ROUTINE DURING THE DAY; THAT IS LOUNGING ON THE DECK, MUNCHING ON HER FOOD, AND PERIODICALLY PATROLLING THE BACKYARD IN HOPES OF CAPTURING "RUNT" THE LITTLIEST GRAY SQUIRREL. THEN ORDINARIALLY WHEN THE MOON RISES MOLLY SETTLES AT THE FOOT OF OUR BED. HER EARS TUNED INTO OUR SNORING. POOR MOLLY, TRY AS SHE MAY SHE COULDN'T FIND A BED WITH HER ALPHA OR BETA LEADERS. SHE MOVED FROM ONE BED TO ANOTHER WHIMPERING AND WHINING "OH WHERE, OH WHERE IS MY PACK?"
    THIS BEHAVIOR "SEPARATION ANXIETY" WENT ON FOR THREE NIGHTS KEEPING GRANDMA & THE MARINE AWAKE THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT! AT LAST THE MARINE HIT UPON A TACTICAL PLAN. :roll eyes: LEAVE THE SLIDER SCREEN OPEN IN HOPES THAT MOLLY WELL TAKE HER WHIMPERS & WHINNING OUTSIDE. IT WORKED! BUT NOW THE HOUSE IS FULL OF FLIES! MOLLY WANDERED IN & OUT UNTIL THE SUN ROSE & LIFE WENT BACK TO NORMAL. NOW DEAR DOTD FRIENDS: WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE TO HELP MOLLY G. OVERCOME HER ANXIETY & FEAR OF ABANDONMENT?

Oh Bee, I'm just glad you made it back safe and sound. It must have been a very heartbreaking experience to be in Washington, but nonetheless I hope you got to sightsee some. Poor Molly, my heart goes out to her, who says dogs don't have feelings. I think your brother did exactly the right thing, at least it helped her and you can always get rid of the flies.
    Give my good wishes to your Mom and for Molly a big hug and kisses from Daisy and Perry
    WELCOME HOME
    Jackie

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

Bea, I'm glad you had a good trip. Given the circumstances, I'm sure parts of it were tough for you! And your poor brother and Mom with the sad Molly! I hope she is back to normal now that you are back with her. I have no clue as to what to do about it, as we have the same problem with our Lilly. Unfortunately, when I leave, they are here alone, until the Petsitter comes and gives them lots of love. But I know from my one experience when I took them with me, that Lilly literally moans at the door I walk out of, until I come back. My mom was the witness to that one, and NOTHING she said or did made any difference. It is heartbreaking, isn't it?

Anyway, welcome home! Hope we will be hearing from you more now!

Logan

I don't own a dog and I guess this is why.
    The wonderful creatures are so sweetly loyal and they get so upset when you're not around. I would love to have a dog so much but I think I'll wait till I retire so I can be there all the time. My four kitties, even though I know they miss me when I'm at work really don't seem to mind my absence that much - unless I leave them for an extended amount of time - which I have done and usually find some presents in the middle of the couch or my bed

THANKS JACKIE, PURLEY AND LOGAN FOR REPLYING. THE SAGA CONTINUES ON MOLLY G. I, TOO, THINK THE MARINE'S STRATEGY WAS THE BEST PLAN. YOU ARE RIGHT JACKIE, THE FLIES ARE TEMPORARY GUESTS. BUT NOW MOLLY WON'T LET PAT OR I OUT OF HER SIGHT OR SMELL. I WAS ON THE DECK WITH HER AND PAT WENT OUT THE FRONT DOOR. SHE MIRACULOUSLY HEARD HIM. SHE WHINED TO GO IN THE SLIDER AND FIND HIM. SHE HAS TO KNOW WHERE BOTH OF US ARE EVERY MINUTE AND IS LAVISHING US WITH KISSES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. AREN'T DOGS THE BEST?! PS PURRLEY HOPE U RETIRE SOON AS YOU AND YOUR KITTY CATS WILL ENJOY A DOG BUDDY.

Bea, that's exactly why we call them our best friends, they will care for us and do anything for us and make sure we are in their sight so they know we are o.k. Hugs and Kisses to the lovely Mollie from Perry and Daisy.
    Jackie

Thanks Idit - retirement wont come soon enough for me. I don't know if my kitties would be very happy about having a doggie or not - I know 3 of them have never even seen one

Welcome back Bea. We missed you. As for Molly, didn't Marine brother invite her up on the Big Bed to sleep with him?

The one and only time I've been separated from Hannah, I had a friend stay over night with the dogs. This was 3 years ago, pre-Tucker. I was gone for three nights. When I got back, I expected jumps of joy and lots of kisses. When I came in the door, Hannah turned around and walked in the other direction. "Hannah, Mommie's home, Mommie's home! Come here, let Mommie give you a hug" No dice. She would have nothing to do with me, wouldn't even stay in the same room with me. I think it took the rest of the day for her to get over being mad at me.

LOL Rach! Sorry Epal, Bea, can't help you, cause Cody has never had a seperation anxiety attack quite like Molly's. Granted, leaving him at the vet or groomer, which I don't do anymore, I do it myself (at least try to groom, not vet)was a nightmare. BUT, like Hannah (Cody got secret lessons or visa versa) if I DARE to miss his routine walk, timely "outties" because I had the audacity to HAVE FUN AT HIS EXPENSE and come home late,GEEZ! He will totally ignore me, which makes me cry I can come home, then go out, but to not be present for over 8 hours, WELL! I'm more upset than Cody! That little bugger has me wrapped around his paw! I feel your pain Rachel! I've gotten way too many "humpfs!", nose in the air, head turns to suit me!