Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy generic or name brand?

Do you buy generic or name brand?

Do you tend to buy generic or name brand?

I usually buy generic food unless there is a major difference in quality. Target and Kroger make pretty decent generic brands, but sometimes I think there is a distinct difference. When I want something really good, I usually buy higher end food.

For clothing I usually like name brand (not a specific kind, just in general) but I usually buy them second-hand. Second hand shopping is one of my favorite hobbies! I rarely buy new clothes, I finally had to break down and buy a few nice work outfits new though because I don't know of any good second hand shops around here (there are several in Iowa City that are the BEST).

What about you?

Depends what it is. Most of the time I by generic, but there are a few food items that I won't buy unless it's name brand. I don't care who makes my clothes, as long as they fit comfortably and look ok. I buy whatever is cheapest as far as clothing goes.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Generic or name brand?

Over time I have learned which generic products are equal and which are not. Drugs for instance- generic where available.

Ketchup - Heinz only
    Tea Bags- Tetley Only
    Herbal teas - Name brands only
    Pet Food - Wellness, Natural Balance

Peanut Butter - Name Brand Only
    Any processed can foods - Name brand only

many other items however, generic

I prefer to buy name brand most of the time. I usually get things on sale and with a coupon and it ends up being the same price or cheaper than the off brand. I keep a food storage for emergencies though, so I usually don't buy most things unless they are on sale, unless im out of something and really need it right now. It's just a habit i got into a long time ago. Clothes it just depends, I have to clothe three kids and they like the name brand stuff, i just bet it cheaper online on sales or at ebay, can get new with tags for a fraction of the price.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

For food, it really depends on the quality of the product. I don't care whether my clothing is name brand or not.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Being single and shopping for just me and my teenage son, I am probably the worst shopper when it comes to saving money on goods. I'm kind of like, If I want it, I buy it. Maybe I need someone to show me how to conservatively shop.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

I usually buy generic unless I have tried it and didn't like the quality. Most generic's I don't really see much of a differance. I DO insist on Glory Greens when I buy those, NONE compare to Glory greens and I am hooked on them.

Funny you mention used clothing stores... I just bought 3 shirts at the Goodwill store that I just LOVE!! All 3 were made for me and just sitting there waiting for me to bring them home.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Well, my dad is a huge 'it must be name brand' person, so thats usually what we had at home. Now when I buy things for myself I tend to go with generic brands or whatever's on sale.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

honestly it dosent really matter to me...But there are certain things i wont buy generic brands of.

I mostly buy generic, however there are a few groceries that I do by name brand such as soda and some cosmetic items.

As for clothes I will admit that I do like nice labels! At least I save up by going generic at the grocery store! I also do mostly shop in the sales section and I don't really like womens clothing however I'm too small for most mens clothing so I usually shop in the boys section making my clothes a resonable price.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I don't really care about brand names, other than I know that, for example, Canada Dry gingerale doesn't make me sick, other sodas with citric acid usually do. I read labels, ingredients list first. I do, however, like Quaker Oatmeal better than the store brand, but I did try the generic!

Well I am not the one that shops for groceries, but my parents buy an equal amount of generic and name brand foods. Some of the foods taste better when they are name brand, and vice versa. I really dont care most of the time.

As for clothes, I admit I like the 'expensive' stuff better but I'm fine with buying Wal-Mart clothes or clothes from the thrift store. I have about $200 to buy school clothes with and I usually buy the cheapes thing possible. I bought a good amount of my clothes at the thrift store. They were only 3cents a pound and I found some really good deals! I usually buy my other clothes at like JCPenny's, Dillards, or Mervyns or something. I sometimes buy them at like Wal-Mart or Target. I have bought a couple like REAL name brand stuff, but I'm too 'poor' for them. (Not really, but I just like to save my money XD)
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

For clothing I only wear name brand like Volcom, Etnies, Element,Roxy etc. I also buy them new so it cost a arm and a leg. $100 for a new sweater

As for food I dont buy my food , as long as it taste good I dont care.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Whatever is better. I'm pretty picky about things and usually stick to one brand for each particular item.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I'm a real cheapskate, so I generally go for generic. If I've tried the generic and don't like it, I'll be glad to pay extra for a brand name. As long as it fills the bill to my satisfaction, I'll cut the cost with generic. And food doesn't stick around very long (except on my hips!)

I buy most of my clothes from thrift shops. I can get a good brand name or a cheap brand for the same price --$1.00 apiece. I do buy my jeans at Wal-Mart because they are the only place I can find stretch jeans with pockets that actually fit all day. I usually weigh the need/want against the $$$. If I ever find the black coat I want, I'll be happy to pay whatever it takes.