Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs not on leashes at Dogs OK On Leash parks...

Dogs not on leashes at Dogs OK On Leash parks...

So who lets their dog run free off the leash in a park where it's clear that dogs are welcome, but ON their leashes?

Today Smokey and I went down to the park - the first time out for him on his 30 ft lead. Well, we walk into the park (he's not 30 ft out yet) and I see an adult dog (he was a pit/mix) about 1/2 qway down the grass. The dog runs over to Smokey and at first things were OK but then the other dog snapped and started barking and rolling Smokey around. The owner calls from 1/2 across the park "Come here now!" Uh, thanks.

Basically I'm just pissed cuz I think if you're gonna let your dog off the leash at a place where they are supposed to be leashed you should at least like, be WITH your dog. But whatever, I got over it after the dog got up on Smokey again and then finally ran away.

But then are walking and Smokey starts going towards them (her dog still not on a leash) and she says "He's really friendly." OK. Fine. So we go over and I've got Smokey right by me... things are chill... I let him go a little further... things are OK... then the dog snaps again and she goes "Boy! aren't you in a mood today?!"

Whatever.

But we did run into a Bermese Mt. Dog - I'd never seen one before. So pretty! I could never handle all that hair , though.
    His name was Nepoleon cuz he's small for his breed.

ANYWAY - so if you guys let your dogs off their leashes where they aren't supposed to be, aren't you afraid your dog will be "in a mood" and snap?

I occasionally let my girls off leash to run inthe park, IF and only IF there is NOONE else there. I am not afraid they will be in a mood and snap at someone or something, but that they will get distracted and foreget to listen. I am constantly scanning to make sure there is no one entering the park and as soon as I see someone coming, I call the girls to me and put their leashes back on. I also call them to come back every minute or so and if they do not come almost right away, that is the end of their freedom on that trip.

I can totally understnd your frustration with someone having their dog off leash and not paying attention to it. That is a good way to get their dog injured or worse (or someone else's dog)

I never let Anna or Rosie off leash.. they will definitely escape and run off.. So, I'll never allow them to go leash free.. - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I can totally understnd your frustration with someone having their dog off leash and not paying attention to it.
    yeah, that's basically it. i'm way over it now, it was just like WHOA! watch your dog lady.

There's a huge park near our house that's kind of the neighborhood "off-leash but technically on-leash" park for dog owners around here, and I definitely know what you mean about being peeved at people whose dogs really have no business being off leash. Someone whose dog is aggressive to the point of being scary or unpredictable shouldn't have it off-leash; someone whose dog ignores recalls shouldn't have it off-leash either. Someone whose dog is both needs to do some serious TRAINING so that the dog isn't a menace to people obeying the leash rules!

We scan the park very well before letting Kobie and Eli off-leash: lots of other dogs, or even an unfamiliar dog around, and we don't go. We keep very close tabs on Kobie while she plays because she's the one still learning to be friendly to other dogs, but her recall is perfect because we've trained it. It can be done, and people who stand around hollering "come!" at their totally oblivious dog usually get a talking-to by myself or the hub. I hate it when my dogs are polite and obedient, but some idjit has uncontrollable beasts running loose!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

I've been reading Pet Talk as a guest for a while, but when I read your post I had to sign up and write in. I, too, have this problem at the on-leash park in our neighborhood.

On our evening walks, my Oreo, a black lab, loves to go to this park, but since it is near a busy street and is not fenced she is never allowed off the leash. There is a group of dog owners that meet there and allow their dogs off leash to play. (I am amazed at how they are not worried about the street!) The dogs always run up to Oreo and the owners don't even watch. So far, we have had no problems with the dogs.

However, the problem is with the owners. As we walk past they are very judgmental of me and insist that I am doing Oreo a disservice by not letting her off leash. They are the ones initiating a conversation at all, and they have been very rude! I have had to bite my tongue many times!

So now we either walk a little earlier, before the group meets, or go to a different park. I just can't believe how judgmental they are, especially since it's technically an on-leash park!

First, welcome to PetTalk! Feel free to post pictures of Kona and Oreo, by the way...

I can't believe people would hassel you about your being a safe dog owner! If they're that certain their own dogs are fine running about near a busy street, so be it. But why make you feel like a bad dog owner because you don't want your own dogs running loose near speeding cars with dogs they don't know yet? Jeez. I think I'd probably blurt out something like that if they got in my face about it--it's like people telling other people how to raise their kids! It's obnoxious, and you just don't do that unless you want to hear a mouthful. Do what you and your dogs are comfortable with...safety first!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Thanks. I try to mind my own business when we go there; I wish they'd do the same. Oh, well.

I'd love to post pictures of my kids--they are both gorgeous! I'll have to get my pictures put on CD when I get the next roll developed.

The only place i let Presley off the leash is at the beach. One time when we were at the beach a dog came over and beat the snot out of her. I poiltly said to the owner. That is a pretty nice dog you have there that would beat the crap out of a 4 month old puppy. He just looked at me and i said if i seen him running lose and attacking dogs i would phone the police. I havn't seen him back at the beach since

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I only let Cookie off leash when we go to the dog playground in the morning because they all are off leash and play and swim together for 1 hour.

If I walk around with Cookie on leash, other dog owners with their dog off leash come and ask me (some really rude) why my dog is on leash! I've been quite frustrated every now and then because it's not their business why I want my dog on a leash when we walk (Cookie rarely comes back when I call her now that she is a teenager-doggie and simply looks and ignores me).

Here most people have their dogs off leash the minute some grass and trees are in sight. And many people have their dogs off leash when they walk them in the city.

At the dog park here, we're allowed to let the dogs run without leashs, seeing its fenced in. The rules say if you dog is not friendly with other dogs, it cannot be in without a muzzle or something to keep all the dogs safe. Anyway, theres people that come all the time, one of them was a smaller breed, I don't remember what kind, maybe a boston terrior?? Anyway, he's fine playing with all the bigger dogs, but when he meets with a new puppy, he gets aggressive, and attacks the pups. He usually ends up putting his dog on a muzzle, but then takes it off later, and he repeats it. If I took a pup in there and he did it to me, then I'd either leave when he's there or ask him to put the dog on the muzzle..I don't know how safe it is for the pups, I know it scares the hell out of them, you can hear them squiel...

When I 1st got Josie, she was around 6 wks, and I took her to the normal park where dogs are expected to be on lead, but don't have to be. This huge GS ran over at us at full speed, stopped a little then jumped on Jo. When the dog ran over, Jo had her little tail between her legs and seemed kinda scared or something. The guy said he was friendly, but he was still jumping all over her, and she let out a few cries. I was annoyed at the guy for not calling off his dog as soon as he did it, I probably would have pushed the GS away and grabbed Jo if they guy did not..I don't think the GS ment to do any harm, but he was to rough for her and I was scared she'd be hurt.

When she got a little older, I use to let her off her leash to play with the other dogs, till one day, her dog friend run up by a road, and of course, Jo followed. I was freaking out and yelling for her to come here, while running up to her (mind you, the owner of the other dog was like, Oh, my dog is running by the road, oh well) So, I probably looked like some kind of freak, but I was just worried. This kinda old man seemed to understand that, and took a ball and started to wave it around and threw it away from the road, which worked. I was really greatful for that guy :]
    Anything like that happen to any ofyou too?? Its horrible..but I never let her loose down there now, she usually listens, but you never know

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I was JUST having this discussion with some fellow dog owners last night....There is an unofficial "off-leash" area near my house. It is an old road that is fenced off at the entrance so there is no traffic. It leads through woods and fields that used to be a city park until someone was murdered there 50 years ago. At the top of the road are water towers that the city maintains. Since this area was once a park, there are all sorts of trails and paths through the woods as well as a beautiful old stone staircase that goes all the way up the hill....I'll have to get pictures of it sometime. It is a really peaceful pretty place, especially early mornings...

Anyway, many of the neighbors bring their dogs up there and let them off-leash. I can name about 20 different dogs and their owners who use this park regularly for an off-leash area. However, there have been a few instances where there have been confrontations. Yesterday, I was standing talking to a woman who had 2 black labs. At first her dogs and Duncan were sort of "posing" to each other but after a little snarling and growling, they were best of friends and were playing and running around together. Another lady showed up with her malamute on a leash....Well the lady's labs ran over to say hello and this other woman started screeching and yelling like a banshee that her dog didn't get along with other dogs and could she come get her dogs, blah blah blah...(This lady said that she NEVER lets her dog a MALAMUTE!! off leash and she doesn't have a fenced yard!!!!! This poor dog must be going stir crazy!!!!!)

A few minutes after she left, a man showed up and was just walking around the gardens. At this point Duncan was on a leash because we were getting ready to leave. One of the labs ran over to the man and the man raised his arm and yelled..."Go Home!" Well the lab saw this as a threatening gesture apparently and started growling at the man. The man started yelling at the lady to come get her dog or he would be suing, the dog should be on the leash, it's against the law, etc,etc, etc....

Also, last night...(it was a busy evening at the park!! ) two ladies showed up with their dog Spot. We've seen them plenty of times before. Well Spot didn't get along with one of the labs so a fight broke out, knocking one of the ladies to the ground and causing a general ruckus!! Duncan wasn't involved in the fighting. He was just acting like a teenage boy and watching all the action up close....Goofball....I went over to the dogs, and yelled ENOUGH! and they split and everyone ran back to their moms.

SO, my point of all this...since I am one of the off-leashers: I think people who go there with their dogs, on or off leash should know and be prepared to come across other dogs on and off-leash if they are well aware that this is a place where dogs run loose. Most people would know that after their first or second visit since there is always someone there with a dog...If your dog is off-leash, he should be well-mannered and come when called. However, well-mannered in dog language is much different than well-mannered in people language. Sniffing another's butt is common practice and dog owners should not see it as an invasion of their dog or as rude. If you don't let the dogs interact and say hello, there will always be a problem...
    A dog on a leash should be held to the same standards as a dog off leash. If your dog doesn't "get on" with other dogs, your dog may need some socialization.... A dog on a leash shouldn't be lunging at another dog on or off leash. People with ill-behaved leashed dogs shouldn't throw stones at people with well-behaved off-leash dogs... This subject just gets so touchy since the leash laws are on one side and while the other side has no legal leg to stand on, they stand on the moral ground of letting the dogs be dogs I guess....

I dont' want to start a big argument, just putting in my 2 cents....

Just for the record, I never let Duncan off leash anywhere else but here or the real dog park or at my friend's camp which is on a private road with no traffic and no other dogs.... He always wears his collar with his rabies tag and license as well as his microchip id tag. Just in case......

Ok off my soapbox now.....

My dog is usually off leash. She is submissive and listens well, so her personality permits that. The park we go to there are a lot of dogs off leash with few problems. Most owners are responsible for their dogs and keep unfriendly dogs on a leash. I've never heard anyone give someone a hard time for having their dog on a leash and it's really a friendly atmosphere. People often ask me "Is it ok if they play?" before taking their dog off the leash.

Being that my dog is submissive she is often the one to get picked on, and I know even on a leash some owners have no control over their dog. One guy had his hand on his dog's leash while his dog nipped my Sadie and wrapped the leash around her, trapping her. Rather than pull the leash when the attack first started the guy just said "stop" politely while is dog (not even a big dog) dragged him.

First, neither of my dogs would ever be off lead in any kind of park. We usually don't even go to parks since we live in the country and can go walking down the road. When we do, we make sure we stay away from other dogs, because Angus would start a fight with ANY dog, just because, and Roxey, she is very dominate and is always the aggressor (mabye due to being raised with Angus since he is so much bigger than her?). Second, I'm pretty sure Roxey would run off without her lead on, guess it's just in her genes! I really wish we could go to parks and take them off lead, oh well.....

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I can never let Kia off a leash even if dogs are allowed. Not because of her mood, but because she will run and come back when SHE feels like it. I can only let her go in a fenced area.

It would depend on how trained my dog was... but even then, if a cop happens to come by and find your dog off a leash in an area that they should be leashed... *ouch*

They have strict leash laws in Lansing. There is a committee trying to get a fenced in dog park built. They want to allow dogs to run off leash but it's conflicting with the leash laws... lots of red tape.... no clue when the park will be finished.

Until then.. Kia will be leashed.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June