Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon getting a Betta

Soon getting a Betta

I was at Walmart today, waiting for my interview to start and wandered over to the fish to look at their Betta's. I felt so bad - they were in such tiny glasses.. fish half their size were in huge 5 gallon tanks!

I have a question about food and water.

What kind of food should I feed a Betta?

I can't afford a nice 5 gallon tank right away, but the one I'm getting is a LOT bigger than the little thing they're in now. I'm wondering about how I transfer the Betta from the small glass to a tank. I heard from someone that you have to do it gradually?

Also, about a filter (are they necessary?) and cleaning/keeping the water clean. Can anyone tell me a bit about going about it all?

Thanks so much in advance!!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Well lucky for you I bumped into this site and used to study betta's. With the tank I started with a very small plastic one, but I wouldn't recodmend putting any things for the fish to hide in besides a plant in there. With the filter if you don't want to change the tank every week or two i would get one. Betta's come from Thailand and Vietnam they grow up in rice patties, from my studies they do like heaters, but they can be at room temperature as long as the room isn't freezing. Hope this helped!

- I_love_my_pets

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    I was at Walmart today, waiting for my interview to start and wandered over to the fish to look at their Betta's. I felt so bad - they were in such tiny glasses.. fish half their size were in huge 5 gallon tanks!

I have a question about food and water.

I can't afford a nice 5 gallon tank right away, but the one I'm getting is a LOT bigger than the little thing they're in now. I'm wondering about how I transfer the Betta from the small glass to a tank. I heard from someone that you have to do it gradually?

Also, about a filter (are they necessary?) and cleaning/keeping the water clean. Can anyone tell me a bit about going about it all?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Well, happy new betta. i have one myself and I named him stardust!
    Such amazing and pretty fish are they? WEll, enjoy your betta as much
    as I'm enjoying mine...

Elle Mayson

My favorite pellet is hikari biogold. It's available in most fish stores. Frozen (not freeze dried!) bloodworms are also a favorite among my bettas.

I'm wondering about how I transfer the Betta from the small glass to a tank. I heard from someone that you have to do it gradually?
    If I know I'm going out to buy a fish, I'll set up the water before so that it can get to room temp by the time I get back. Then I float the cup/bag in the water for about 30 minutes, then gradually add a bit of water every 5-10 minutes until most of the water is the new water.

I don't keep a filter in anything smaller than 5 gallons. Starting a cycle with a new fish is risky, and doing a fishless cycle is such a hassle for such a small tank. In anything smaller than 5 gallons (I really only do it for 10 gallons+), it's hard keeping a steady cycle.

Hope that helps

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Thanks so much Ashley and love_my_pets..

That was all the info I needed!!

I'm getting so excited now. I've already cleared space to put the tank.

But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Congrats Bettas are the best fish. now that I have 4 i can't ever see myself without a least 2.Can't wait for pics Are you going to get a boy or girl betta?
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I'm not looking for any gender specifically. I'll just go with whoever pops out at me and I have a connection with.

Usualy if the betta is realy active towards you or even flares its fins it should be the one!

Hopefuly there shall be some pics right???

I'm not looking for any gender specifically. I'll just go with whoever pops out at me and I have a connection with.
    The males normally look better, lucky if you can find a female that does. (no offense)

I'm not looking for the nicest looking Betta, love_my_pets. I'm looking for one that is in need of a good home.

Males and Females are both great pets.
    Do you have any name ideas??
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Yep. If I get a male, either

Louis Riel: Canadian politician and leader of the Métis people of the Canadian prairies.

or

Gabriel Dumont: leader of the Métis people of what is now western Canada.

I'm not Métis but Louis Riel changed lives the for Métis people in Manitoba, and that is where I live. I consider Louis Riel a hero, and look up to him.

I'm totally not sure about a female, though!

I'm not looking for the nicest looking Betta, love_my_pets. I'm looking for one that is in need of a good home.
    Well i know that i just wanted to give info!

I didn't see anyone mention this. You can only have one male betta in a tank. If you have 2, they fight. You can have as many females in the tank as you like, with or without one male. Usually the males have the flashy tails, and the males are the ones sold in those little plastic cups. The females are community fish, so they will be in a tank together, possibly with other fish.

I never had a female. I have kept several males - one at a time - in my tank with other fish. Only once I brought one home and he started attacking the tetras. Back he went next day.

They really are wonderful to watch, it is SO relaxing!

Thanks, Freedom.

How often & how much do you feed a Betta?