Thread: Paw protecter wax anyone?

Paw protecter wax anyone?

can anyone tell me if this stuff works? lately everytime I take Misty out for walks and runs she comes home with her pads either blistered or torn up, this is an EXTREMLY recent thing, and started only like a month ago. currently I am wraping her feet in vet wrap, as boots do not stay on, see with most dogs there is a width differnce between their legs and paws, but with Misty there is none, if I covered her toes and held out her leg you would never be able to tell where he leg eneded and paw began, this results on anything like boots and socks to just slide off no matter how tight. vet wrap works on her front feet but it will NOT stay on her back feet, not to mention at $5 a roll vet wrap gets expensive! I was looking at paw protecter wax when I was at petsmart today, it all looks ok, but at $12 for a little jar I wanted to check into it first.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Hmm, never heard of it, but It's worth a try!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Gonzo's paws get tender too, he has never had torn pads, but I understand it's very painful and it can take a while to heal.

Have you taken her into a vet? They might give you some kind of ointment to treat her pads. I always walk with Gonzo at night or in the early morning, when the pavement is cool, and he never runs on hard surfaces (only grass/dirt). =0) that works for him.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I don't think it would do much for blisters and ripped pads. I use paw protector wax for some of my sled dogs in the winter. It does a great job of preventing snow and ice build up between their toes, but does not protect their pads from much else. If it's icy or the snow is sharp(yes, for those who don't get snow, snow can be sharp!), I still have to bootie. You might want to try some plain ol' vaseline before you buy the expensive stuff. I know lots of mushers who swear by it for paw protection. Zinc is also very important for good feet, especially in very active or working dogs. Maybe try adding some to her diet.

If I really, really need a bootie to stay on, I put it on and then wrap a couple loops of vet wrap around the top.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I use it in the winter time, I can't say if it works as I've never had a problem with or without it. Maybe try putting a healing agent on her pad and then putting a bootie on it and taping it? When Visa cut her hock, I put some Aloe Comfrey gel on it, wrapped a sock around her leg, and duct-taped it. It healed nicely.
    I've been BOO'd!

I have heard of it. Don't know if it works though..... You might try it and see how it goes!!! I personally think with the heat around here it would melt!!! It is so hot!!!!
    Last edited by shihtzulover850; 06-01-2006 at 12:33 PM.

thanks guys! I will try adding zinc to Mistys diet, and give vasaline a try first
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Hmmm, well, it might be something serious so I would suggest taking her to the vet to get her checked out. But if everything is alright, here are some things I would try.

Paw Protector wax works as an invisible boot, so it may help you a little.

If you have, here are some things you could try:
    Mushers Secret
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 6929&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032062&ASSORT MENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1149175874 985&itemNo=1&Ntt=paw+tectors&In=All&previousText=p aw+tectors&N=2&Ne=2 ]Doggy Socks[/URL]
    Doggy Hiker Boots
    Paw Wax Paw Protector

Hope I could help...

the link for the paw wax you posted is the very stuff I was looking at when I asked this question lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    i am going to be looking into getting boots for finn...and, i am going to look into adding zinc to his diet, as glacier suggested. he tears his pads up all of the time. i try to keep an eye on them, but, sometimes he just plays so hard that the next thing i know he's limping. :/ it never seems to bother him for more than a day or so, though. i think boots would stay on him, though, so, hopefully that's all i need! good luck with finding something that works for misty!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Were you looking for them or asking a question about them, I'm confused

Booties

I've had that problem with Cokette my pom. I bought some boots for her and they didn't stay on. I made s suit that went down to cover her paws with wool then covered the paw part by sewing ballons. It worked but now I'm thinking of making suspenders to hold the boots. I'll get back on this when I finish it .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie girl
    I've had that problem with Cokette my pom. I bought some boots for her and they didn't stay on. I made s suit that went down to cover her paws with wool then covered the paw part by sewing ballons. It worked but now I'm thinking of making suspenders to hold the boots. I'll get back on this when I finish it .
    This thread is from May I think she has the problem solved now.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee