Thread: Joined to find help! Ajji had surgery.

Joined to find help! Ajji had surgery.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site. I found it while searching online for resources for my dog.

My sweet little Peke had to have surgery 3 days ago. 3 ruptured discs were removed from her back.

Do any of you know of good resources to help pay for her surgery? Her bill is now up to 4,500 dollars. My boyfriend and I are both restaurant servers/bartenders and can hardly afford to pay it. We are planning on having a benefit party. . . but don't know if that will cover the costs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to know more, please send me a message. Also, below is a message I posted on myspace a few days ago:

Sweet little Ajji had to go into surgery last night. For those of you who don't know Ajji is my dog. . . actually she is more than that. For those of you that know Ajji you know how amazing this little being is. She is an angel. A stoic, beautiful creature that can ease any one's mind and bring happiness into every situation.

She single handedly has taught me about love, patience, forgiveness, and how to be responsible. It's crazy how much my life has changed since this beautiful creature has come into it.

My body feels like it's about to explode with range of emotions I'm feeling right now. I have a lot of anger and hatred for her previous owners (whomever they are) for letting her live with several ruptured disks in her back and then abandoning her on the streets.

It's crazy because I never realized or knew that she was in pain. She is ALWAYS happy and playful. She is such a positive energy.

I have never heard her bark or whine. The only noise she makes is her happy grunting and she snores when she sleeps. Saturday morning Zane and I awoke to what sounded like a human baby crying. It was Ajji; it was absolutley heart breaking. She couldn't move her hind legs and she was in a great deal of pain. However, whenever I would touch her she would give me a kiss and wag her tail.

She is still a happy dog with lots of love. I feel like she is owed a life with out pain. Even if it is for only a couple years more. She had 3 ruptured discs in her back that were removed. There is a 20 percent chance that she won't be able to walk after she heals. . .in that case she'll get a Chariot (dog wheelchair). At least she will be out of pain.
    All of this is costing me and Zane a lot of money. . .but how can we price an angel? If the money wasn't going towards Ajji it would just be going to something material. I always used to make fun of people that spent sooo much money on their pets. . guess I've learned my lesson. It's hard when you are put into the situation. Euthanization was NOT an option because she is still very mentally alert and happy, besides the pain.

To raise funds we'll be throwing a "Save the Ajji" party. Donation bar, DJ, the works.

I'll keep you all updated and hope to see you there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this bulleting (if you made it all the way through) As you can tell Ajji is the world to me.

I get to see Ajji today at noon to see how she is. I'll keep you all updated.

Love,
    Anu

Some pictures of Ajji

I thought I should share some pics!

That was taken with a camera phone.
    Ajji and me. SHE looks like a wise old MAN. lol.

Oh, poor Ajji! It is good that she has owners who care now, though. Will the vet's office let you set up some kind of payment plan?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pekingeses I am the owner of a 7 year old Pekingese and I completely understand your unfaithful and overwhelming devotion to Ajji. These dogs are simply magnificent creatures. Now I understand why they were said to be the children of lions and marmosets. They certainly have the courage and soul of a lion!

As for the financial problems, I know many adoption groups like to set up auctions to help funds. Perhaps you can work with a rescue group and see if they'll help you. I know many all-breed rescues like to reach out to the community by finding privately owned animals who need a little bit of extra financial help. As Karen mentioned, some vets also offer payment plans. Especially with such a large bill, I'm sure your vet would be more than willing to offer you a plan. Good luck to you and Ajji. She's beautiful.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    What about iMOM.org? Your pup is just too darned cute! I hope everything works out with her surgery. Welcome to Pet Talk

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHedd
    What about iMOM.org? Your pup is just too darned cute! I hope everything works out with her surgery. Welcome to Pet Talk
    iMOM helps raise funds before expensive procedures. Unfortunately, they aren't equipped to help pay for existing vet bills. You might try Orthodogs

I'm not sure if they help for existing vet bills, but since they specialize in ortho types of treatment, they may have more information. They have a page on creative fundraising ideas which includes:

Creative Fundraising
    Babysitting, garage sale, car wash, bake sale, craft sale, plant care, pet sitting. Projects have the added benefit of helping to occupy your mind in a productive way. If you have a creative streak, it can be therapeudic.

Ask if your veterinarian offers CareCredit (www.carecredit.com). CareCredit allows you to pay over time, and the loan will be interest-free if the balance is paid within a specified time period.

Some caregivers find that friends, family, and community members are willing to contribute financially if they are aware of a difficult situation.

Contact your local library for information about how to organize fundraising efforts.

Hold a "Vet Garage Sale". Clean house for cash! While you have the neighborhood's attention, make and sell sugar cookies or doggie biscuits shaped like doggie bones. Set out a donation can that has a photo and flyer which shows your pup and where their support is going -- or have your pup out there with you, if you can.

If you have a creative fundraising idea of your own that you'd like us to share, please send us an email: [email protected].

I hope you stay around. I'd love to hear more about Ajji.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks for all the responses!

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate everything. Ajji is finally home! Yeahye She is eating, drinking, her ears are perked up and she looks very happy. The doc said she may have a slow recovery as far as walking goes because her surgery was so extensive. (it took over 3 hours) We'll know if she walks within 6 weeks though. The signs are good. She has a deep pain reflex and wiggles her paws when I tickle her paw fur.

As far as fundraising goes. . . Some of the payment was approved for CareCredit so that was nice, but I still need to raise money. My boyfriend and I are both artists by day and bartenders/servers by night so we thought it would be a great idea to have art show parties and put up a donation bar with wine, liquor, beer the works. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks again and I'll keep you all updated. . . with pictures next time

-Anu