Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allergies..can anyone recomend a food or vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by iamgobsmacked
    First of all changing to a food with less overall ingredients is essential. Foods like Natural Balance, Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. Try alternating them from time to time in insure greater nutrition.
    With a dog with allergies, I would be very careful with rotating. Not that I think it's bad, I do it for one of my older dogs that does best on 50% kibble (and 25% canned + 25% water), but only with foods I know my dog can handle. The trick is to see what your dog can handle and can't, and it can be more trickier with a dog with allergies as the progress can go down hill quickly.

btw, I know a lot of dogs that have had issues with Wellness since they changed (LOTS of poop problems).

Alternate from time to time with a good quality cod liver oil. I usually do three weeks in rotation.
    I would not suggest cod liver oil if someone feeds kibble, the vitamin A + D can build up to toxic levels.

Offer distilled water instead.
    I don't think I would want to offer distilled water all of the time (instead every once in awhile and rotated with filtered).

What foods did you feed him on raw? Atleast you know he's not allergic to those foods.

I recommend trying California Natural. It has very few ingredients. Chicken Soup has ALOT of ingredients so it's no surprise he is allergic to something in there -- not only are some of the formulas 3-4 meat sources but there are milk products in there as well. There is a chicken as well as a lamb formula of California Natural.

Usually the more exotic the meat, the better. Beef is generally the most common meat allergen, followed by chicken and then lamb, as these are the three most common meats used in pet foods. Beef is definatly one to stay away from but use your judgement on chicken and lamb as these aren't nearly as common of allergens. Rice is the easiest grain to digest and usually dogs won't be allergic to it but stay away from everything else, especially wheat and corn. Also keep away from by-products, colours/dyes, etc. That's one reason California Natural is nice, all it basically has is chicken and rice (even if it has way too much rice in my opinion).

For the skin, try getting a soothing shampoo. If his skin is moist and he has hot spots (or welts, anything with moisture) I recommend a coal tar shampoo. Nova pearls has an awesome formula because it takes the moisture out and basically adds it's own "good" moisture in. As far as I know it is the only shampoo that does this. Don't use Coal Tar unless the moist -- typically tar is quite a harsh treatment and should only be used in very bad skin conditions. Sulphur ans salicylic acid is better for dry skin, don't try it for moisture. Lavendar, aloe vera, wheat grass, calendula, etc are all things that are good for the skin and are added to alot of different shampoos. Oatmeal is typically for soothing dry skin and I don't think this is his problem. Avoid any and all chemicals -- just look for nice, soothing, natural shampoos. Nature's Specialties, Cain and Able, Wags, and Ikaria all have some very good all-natural skin-healing formulas.

My vet sells a spray called Allergex that you spray a few times into the dog's mouth a half hour before it eats -- it's all herbal and quite safe. I believe it's only $20. I can try to find a website for you, but if you can't find it in your area I'd be willing to send you some.

Jordan - It tends to take him 2 weeks to devlop an allergy. I'm assuming that while on RAW he was fed so many diffrent meats and nevr had one for to many days in a row if it made it so he did not have allergies. I fed him beef, chicken, turkey many other kinds of meats. Basically anything and everything the grocery store sold he ate.

Right now Konnor is on 3 pills a day, twice a day along with a spray for his tummy to clear up his bumps. There have been significant improvments, however I do not want to medicate him for the rest of his life. So I will take him off his meds once he is fully on his new Duck and Potato food. If he does not have a reaction while off his meds then I will consider the food a success. If he does have a reaction then I will continue to do more research and try feeding him RAW again.

Thank you everyone for your help! I really apreciate it. I know I havn't responded to all of your post, but I am reading them all and learning from them all. I greatly apreciate the help you guys are providing for me and Konnor.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Skin and environmental allergies

With a dog with allergies, I would be very careful with rotating. Not that I think it's bad, I do it for one of my older dogs that does best on 50% kibble (and 25% canned + 25% water), but only with foods I know my dog can handle. The trick is to see what your dog can handle and can't, and it can be more trickier with a dog with allergies as the progress can go down hill quickly.

btw, I know a lot of dogs that have had issues with Wellness since they changed (LOTS of poop problems).

And I have five dogs, have treated hundreds of others who do very well on Wellness. And in fact the excretion becomes much less than prior. However, not all foods work for all animals. Overall, however, Wellness is one of the best foods for allergy prone animals primarily because it only contains five ingredients. Which makes elimination diets more doable. It is also good to have a few choices of foods that allergenic animals can thrive on because tolerance thresholds can and do occur frequently. By periodic rotation this is less likely to occur.

I would not suggest cod liver oil if someone feeds kibble, the vitamin A + D can build up to toxic levels.

Alternating on three weeks of ground flax seed, then switching to cod liver oil will insure that plenty of the Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to support the skin are available. It has been shown that animals with frequent skin eruptions, hot spots etcetera benefit greatly from extra supplementation from these important fatty acids. Since these are insoluble they do not metabolize out of the body as readily as other vitamins. ( a good thing for pets with allergies and skin disorders) Although toxic overloads can and do occur, the amount of oil present in a single capsule on a rotated basis will not cause toxic overload even if these supplements, are present in pet food. And of course the three week rotation will help to flush and assure that over build up does not occur. Toxic overloads frequently occur when a diet primarily containing vitamins A & D are adopted and supplementation is excessive. Distilled water also facilitates the removal of any unused vitamins and minerals that collect outside the cells. The cell absorb what they need to function, the balance circulate as waste.

I don't think I would want to offer distilled water all of the time (instead every once in awhile and rotated with filtered).

Filtered water still contains many of the inorganic minerals that are harmful to the body, since inorganic minerals cannot be absorbed they circulate outside the cells and remain in the system as free radicals. Of the total minerals in water only 1% are of any limited value to the body. The trace minerals are easily replaced with food. One single glass of orange juice for instance contains more minerals than gallons of drinking water. And in order to consume these from water you are also consuming minerals that are not useful and in fact toxic to the body. The minerals in water in fact only become bio-available to the body when they have passed over the soil and into plants that we consume.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgobsmacked
    And I have five dogs, have treated hundreds of others who do very well on Wellness. And in fact the excretion becomes much less than prior. However, not all foods work for all animals. Overall, however, Wellness is one of the best foods for allergy prone animals primarily because it only contains five ingredients. Which makes elimination diets more doable. It is also good to have a few choices of foods that allergenic animals can thrive on because tolerance thresholds can and do occur frequently. By periodic rotation this is less likely to occur.
    That's fine - but I also would like to put it out there for people to know.

When all of my dogs were on kibble (still do for one of my dogs), I rotated for the reason you stated (didn't want to overuse ingredients and protein sources), but with allergies, it's a whole other ball game. I have seen dogs go down hill and have to recover all over again because their owner thought food blank would be OK to try. Am I against rotating? No, all I'm saying is the owners need to be careful.

Alternating on three weeks of ground flax seed, then switching to cod liver oil will insure that plenty of the Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to support the skin are available. It has been shown that animals with frequent skin eruptions, hot spots etcetera benefit greatly from extra supplementation from these important fatty acids. Since these are insoluble they do not metabolize out of the body as readily as other vitamins. ( a good thing for pets with allergies and skin disorders) Although toxic overloads can and do occur, the amount of oil present in a single capsule on a rotated basis will not cause toxic overload even if these supplements, are present in pet food. And of course the three week rotation will help to flush and assure that over build up does not occur. Toxic overloads frequently occur when a diet primarily containing vitamins A & D are adopted and supplementation is excessive.
    Working with terriers who are notorious for allergies, I know how helpful EFAs are. That said, I still do not recommend anyone who feeds a commercial diet supplement with cod liver oil, I gave my reason. Flax seed and fish oil I do recommend and use.

Filtered water still contains many of the inorganic minerals that are harmful to the body, since inorganic minerals cannot be absorbed they circulate outside the cells and remain in the system as free radicals. Of the total minerals in water only 1% are of any limited value to the body. The trace minerals are easily replaced with food. One single glass of orange juice for instance contains more minerals than gallons of drinking water. And in order to consume these from water you are also consuming minerals that are not useful and in fact toxic to the body. The minerals in water in fact only become bio-available to the body when they have passed over the soil and into plants that we consume.
    I don't buy into the whole filtered water is bad or is of lesser quality than distilled except in some cases (I think where you live and how cheap you go on a filter needs to be taken into consideration).

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty
    Konnor has terrible allergies to something in Dog food. Before we fed him RAW his whole stomach was red and covered in ichy bumps. We switched him on to RAW and his allergies went away. He has since been switched back onto kibble (a different brand then before) and he is having worse reactions to it then before. He is always itching, all over like he is covered in a million fleas. Hi stomach is red and covered in red bumps again. I know the easy thing would be to switch him onto RAW again, but I worry that with RAW I'm not providing him with the proper nutrition he needs (I’m not saying that a RAW diet does not give dogs proper notional value, I'm saying that I worry in the diet I am feeding him, I’m going to miss something).

Does anyone know of some really good doggie vitamins I could buy him to add to his food? Specifically something that might help his skin and coat? Also, does anyone feed hypoallergenic food to there dogs? If so, what kind? I'm going to switch him onto a food made for dogs with allergies soon and I would also like to get him started on some vitamins. Any suggestions welcome, I'm going out to buy his food/vitamins probably this weekend. Hopefully he will be feeling better. If not I will have no choice but to place him back on RAW.

Ashley
    I have fed raw for 19 years. Honestly my opinion is that no kibble can compare to raw diet. It doesnt have the perservatives, more natural what a dog as a conavoire would eat, and better for them.
    As far as vitamins, i like Missing Link as its a granular. If you having skin Problems try Hair of the dog by Doc blend. One of my dogs is rescue with severe thyroid and had bald spots they said would occur from the medication. Yea well- in 3 weeks she was fine. See my website on my dogs and it gives you more information. www.beckonridgeborzoi.com