Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: german shepherd/great dane mix

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Yes, she may find all loving homes and they may not end up in a shelter. But every dog born, is another dog in a shelter that is put to sleep.

There are plenty of mixed breed puppies needing a home, it's a really depressing thing.

Good luck and if money is ever a problem with spaying and neutering, there is shelters that will help pay for them.
    True. But some people don't think of the shelter animals first. We may, but some don't. And if a person truly wants to breed their own dog or buy from a place either then a shelter then that is their personal decision. I will voice my opinion but I would not make them buy from a shelter.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by Husky15
    True. But some people don't think of the shelter animals first. We may, but some don't. And if a person truly wants to breed their own dog or buy from a place either then a shelter then that is their personal decision. I will voice my opinion but I would not make them buy from a shelter.
    So your saying your support breeding mixed dogs..?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Husky15,

Please keep in mind the health problems these dogs could have - hip and joint. I don't see why ANYONE would see it as okay to mix breeds, when they are thousands of mix breeds dieing in shelters EVERY DAY. Either buy from a REPUTABLE BREEDER who breeds for the best of the breed, or adopt from a shelter.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Husky15,

Please keep in mind the health problems these dogs could have - hip and joint. I don't see why ANYONE would see it as okay to mix breeds, when they are thousands of mix breeds dieing in shelters EVERY DAY. Either buy from a REPUTABLE BREEDER who breeds for the best of the breed, or adopt from a shelter.
    Exactly Great Danes already die at a young age because of its size and health problms they get when they grow "older". And German Sheperds have bad hip problems and are prone to hip displaysia at a young age. So why breed the two? And why bring a dog into this world knowing its going to have double the problems?
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Exactly Great Danes already die at a young age because of its size and health problms they get when they grow "older". And German Sheperds have bad hip problems and are prone to hip displaysia at a young age. So why breed the two? And why bring a dog into this world knowing its going to have double the problems?
    From taking pet first aid, I learned those two breeds are more likely to get bloat then a lot of other breeds.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

You are correct. Great danes are the number one breed afflicted with bloat, 42% of danes will bloat in their lives.

Shepherds are definitely high on the list as well.

To the OP, one of my foster dogs was a dane/shepherd mix. Cute dog but high strung and neurotic because he was never trained as a young puppy. So at 6 months of age, he was a 90 lb wrecking ball.

The two breeds have entirely different energy needs, growth needs, and temperaments/personalities. I can't see any benefit in breeding the two breeds together...but I can see problems. While hip dysplasia is not terribly common in danes, they are often affected by another, severe skelatal condition - wobblers. Bringing both of these conditions into the same genepool would be devestating, as if one alone is not bad enough.

Please don't breed the dogs. Alter them an enjoy them as they were meant to be - as companions.

Quote Originally Posted by leansnslobbers
    The two breeds have entirely different energy needs, growth needs, and temperaments/personalities.
    Exactly -- these are two very different breeds. It is not fair to the potential owners who can never know what the puppy is going to be like. Great danes are typically fearful/unconfident dogs ---- you mix a fearful dog with a GSD that is typically more aggressive, you may be breeding fear-biters or shy sharp dogs. But it's impossible to tell -- rather than the two personalities mixing you can be getting a GSD temperment by itself or a great dane temperment by itself. It isn't fair to the owners who are only expecting a cute puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    From taking pet first aid, I learned those two breeds are more likely to get bloat then a lot of other breeds.
    Ya and twisted stomachs/intestines
    See ALL my pets here

You are correct. Great danes are the number one breed afflicted with bloat, 42% of danes will bloat in their lives.

To the OP, one of my foster dogs was a dane/shepherd mix. Cute dog but high strung and neurotic because he was never trained as a young puppy. So at 6 months of age, he was a 90 lb wrecking ball.

The two breeds have entirely different energy needs, growth needs, and temperaments/personalities. I can't see any benefit in breeding the two breeds together...but I can see problems. While hip dysplasia is not terribly common in danes, they are often affected by another, severe skelatal condition - wobblers. Bringing both of these conditions into the same genepool would be devestating, as if one alone is not bad enough.

Please don't breed the dogs. Alter them an enjoy them as they were meant to be - as companions.
    Wow very well said! I agree I cant see anything positive that would come out of breeding he two only negative things.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    Great danes are typically fearful/unconfident dogs ----
    I disagree that it's a typical breed characteristic. The fearful/unconfident danes are the ones who are never socialized properly, or came from a very poorly planned out breeding where temperament was not assessed in the breeding stock.
    The GDCA standard for temperament is such:
    The Great Dane must be spirited, courageous, always friendly and dependable, and never timid or aggressive.

But I do agree the two temperaments are vastly unique of one another.

I can only base my opinion on what I've seen -- every show I've been at, more great danes have backed off the judge than anything else. Every great dane that comes into the shop is a wreck of nerves. The few I've met who have been confident, friendly dogs have ironically been from the SPCA. Not saying it's a bad thing, I breed Belgians and still admit that as a breed they are shy, aggressive freaks.

So your saying your support breeding mixed dogs..?
    Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Husky15,

Just forget what I said. I don't know much about this stuff. Not nearly as much as you guys. But I will say I do not support breeding mixed dogs, but we cannot make someone not do it, we can just try our best to stop them. And BC_MoM I agree with you fully. But unfortunately we cannot make people buy from shelters or reputable breeders.

I agree with you as well. You know what you're talking about.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by Husky15
    Just forget what I said. I don't know much about this stuff. Not nearly as much as you guys. But I will say I do not support breeding mixed dogs, but we cannot make someone not do it, we can just try our best to stop them. And BC_MoM I agree with you fully. But unfortunately we cannot make people buy from shelters or reputable breeders.

I agree with you as well. You know what you're talking about.
    Yes we can try and I know we have changed alot of peoples minds on breeding before.
    See ALL my pets here

Yes we can try and I know we have changed alot of peoples minds on breeding before.
    Well when you list all the facts my mind would be changed too.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

*Raises Hand* We have bred in the past and we were going to in the future. But with all the education I got from pt I was able to educate my parents, and now their also against irresponsible breeding and don't want to breed. So we may not be able to change her mind, but think of all the guest that are reading this thread.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)