Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Lilly had a bad day :(

My Lilly had a bad day :(

I noticed that Lilly did not want to get up and move this morning, but that is not totally unusual for her. She ate her breakfast, but never went outside. At lunchtime, I noticed she had some gunky stuff in her right eye, so I cleaned it out. She didn't even protest. Still don't know what is going on with the eye. When I got back home, later, to meet Scott to take him to the airport around 4:30, we finally got her to get up and go outside for a minute and she had a bad upset tummy. I told Scott, then, that I could tell she just didn't feel well. I did not feed her when I fed the others, but did get her to eat some ice cubes, then I left for dinner at the church and was maybe gone for an hour or a little more. When Helen and I got home, Lilly would not get up at all, even with all kinds of bribes. She had taken over the blanket I had down for Gracie, earlier in the day. I called my friend, Betty, who always is able to help me with "after hours" problems and she directed me to take Lilly's temperature. Of course, I had to go back out and buy a thermometer (should have already had one) and some Pedialyte. Her temperature was over 103º and Betty really felt I needed to take her to the ER because of the elevated temperature and since she wouldn't get up and walk. Helen and literally had to pick Lilly up to see if she could stand. She walked two steps and went down again. I called Patsy, Dr. Robinson's right hand lady, on her cell phone, and she tried to reach him, knowing he would probably meet me at his office, but she couldn't get him and knowing that his office is closed on Thursdays, I decided to head on to the ER and Patsy agreed. Somehow, Helen and I got Lilly to the car (we practically had to drag her, I'm afraid), lifted her in, and headed to the ER. Helen stayed at home to take care of the others since Gracie needs some special attention right now, too.

Lilly got a thorough exam and the ER vet was most concerned about the lameness. Lilly did walk, finally, but is very sensitive in the area of her right, rear leg and hip. She would not let the vet do a very close examination of her hips, unfortunately. She said that the inflammation and the pain could cause Lilly to run a temperature and cause the diarrhea. Rather than put her under anesthesia to do x-rays tonight, she decided to treat her for the pain until I can get her into see our regular vet on Friday. Lilly was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia at 18 months old, but really hasn't had any problems, other than stiffness, since that time. She is 7 1/2 years old now. It could be something as simple as a sprain from getting up wrong, or it could be the hip dysplasia causing her problems. There is no way to know until she can be x-rayed.

I don't even know what time it was when I left here, but I think around 7:45 or so and we got home around 11 pm. I gave her the first dose of pain medication, which should help her, but will probably also knock her out. That's probably not a bad thing since she is in so much pain.

I cannot tell you all how many horrible things ran through my mind during this evening. I think I am simply paranoid after all the issues with Murphy and Zipper this past year. Of course, my husband is out of town, which has seemed to be the case every single time one of them has gotten really sick, and of course, it would be after hours at my normal vet and he isn't available tomorrow.

I'm sure Lilly is going to be fine, but I won't feel better until she feels better.

Please say a prayer tonight for my sweet angel. She has been so patient and so good through so much, and now, when things are finally settling down, this happens.

Logan

Logan, I'm sending up my thoughts and prayers for your sweet girl. It broke my heart reading your post, I can feel your worry and sense of helplessness. I wish I could give her a kiss on that soft golden head. I'll be thinking of her, and of you.

I'll keep Lilly in my thoughts that she has a better day tomorrow. I'm also sending you lots of hugs!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Awww, kisses to the pretty girl. She'll be in our prayers.

I can't believe this is happening! Poor Lilly. I hope Dr R can see her first thing in the morning. Logan, you know that I will be praying like a madwoman for precious Lilly, darling angel girl.

I've been Boooo'd!

I will keep Lilly in my prayers. I hope she feels better with the medicine and I hope it's nothing serious.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Logan I have tears in my eyes right now. You know that I feel like your dogs are part of my family. As I read along, the first thought that came to me was Lyme's disease. Has she been given the vaccine? As you may recall, Bella came down with it in between her two doses of the vaccine. She did not have a tummy upset at any time though, just the lameness and it was limited to one leg.

I know how upset you are when a beloved furkid is not acting like themselves and, with what you have recently had to deal with in your home with the loss of Murphy, Zipper and Mimi I am sure you must just feel overwhelmed. Oh how I wish that Dr. R was available. The waiting will be awful but please know that all of your friends will be praying for Lily. ((((hugs)))) to you my friend.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry to hear this. Lilly is such a sweetheart--I will hope and pray that she gets better very soon. {{{{HUGS}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'll keep Lilly and YOU in my Positive Prayers for Treatment that will ease her pain!!!!

I Hope you can have her seen my your Vet as soon as possible!!

I'm also giving you a Pet Talk {{{HUG}}}}}

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    As I read along, the first thought that came to me was Lyme's disease. Has she been given the vaccine? As you may recall, Bella came down with it in between her two doses of the vaccine. She did not have a tummy upset at any time though, just the lameness and it was limited to one leg.
    Pam, I remembered Bella's bout with Lyme disease, but not the symptoms. Good you brought that up. I'm really surprised the ER vet didn't have any more thoughts the possibilities. Just seems like the eye discharge has to be related in some way too. Logan, you are having too much in such a short time frame, and how you manage to cope under the stress is more than I can fathom. I'm praying that Lilly's is feeling better this morning. I know how much one can internalize the distress our furkids are feeling. Prayers are for you too, Logan.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Just like Pam, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I know it's said God never gives you more than you can handle, but I think you've had just about enough.
    I hope that it's nothing more than a sprain or something just as easy to take care of.

Please give her lots of hugs and kisses from me and tell Scott (when he gets home) to give you lots of the same

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I too have LES...
    I hope the pills do the trick and she's able to have an x-ray taken.

Hugs and prayers to you!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Oh logan, I am so sorry. Why do these things always seem to happen
    when no one else is around to at least bounce ideas off of? I hope that
    the pain meds are able to help Lilly at least feel more comfortable.Big hugs
    to you in the meantime.(((HUGS))) My old Vet used to give me his home
    phone number to call if I ever though something was an emergency case.
    Could you call the Dr. if these pills don't work? Prayers for you both and
    I hope your sweet girl is able to rest easy for now.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh, Logan. I am so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers coming to Lilly, you and the pets. Come on, Lilly! Get better please.

Johanna

You guys mean so much to me. I don't know what in the world I would do without my "cyber" friends.

I know I overdramatize everything, but after the year we have had, I guess that is ok. I couldn't stand it anymore and came home a few minutes ago to check on Lilly and the others. I left the "hoodlums" outside on the deck this morning, so she could get some rest, which is impossible if Mack and Gracie are in the same room. She is lying right where I left her. I will get her up in a bit and see if she wants to go outside. It is a gorgeous day. I would love to put her on a soft bed in the sunshine. I think she would like that.

I am going to go to Petsmart this afternoon and buy one of those heated beds. I just dare Honey, Gracie or Mack to tear it up. Right now, I have no worries about Lilly doing that as she certainly doesn't feel like chewing anything. I may move her back to my bedroom, just to keep her away from them and keep the bed away from their teeth. She hasn't had any accidents in the house, thank goodness.

Pam, I wanted to thank you for mentioning Lyme disease. All of my dogs are vaccinated for that every year because there is such a heavy tick population in the south. But, I think I will do some reading up on that today, just in case. I had totally forgotten about Bella's problem!

Thank you all. I'll keep you posted.

Logan