Thread: Shelter Policy on Kennel Cough?

Shelter Policy on Kennel Cough?

Another thread brought to mind a question I had on shelter policy. To those who volunteer at shelters, do they put down dogs who contract kennel cough? The kill shelter that I got Killian and Shiloh from does, or at least used to. I know it is highly contagious and they didn't want it to spread throughout the huge amount of dogs they have. They didn't have an adequate isolation area, so in order to not spread the disease, they would PTS those who caught it. In fact there was a huge controversy over two huskys being put down because of it. I think that all that may have changed now because of a new addition being opened and I believe there is an isolation ward now.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I lived in Springfield, MO, when I adopted Addie. The Humane Societies, there, did not kill the dogs with kennel cough. Several of them had it.

It seems like an awful reason to put a dog down, but I guess if they lack funding and space, they can only keep the healthiest of the bunch. Poor puppies .

The shelter I work at does not put them down for kennel cough (we are no kill), but the city shelter (animal control) does They have a huge facility with an isolation ward but still put them down for it. It is a shame because it is such a minor sickness
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

The rescue/shelter where I volunteer doesn't PTS any animal unless it's absolutely necessary. They have just started giving all incoming dogs Boardatella. They used to have a lot of "resident" dogs catch it from the new ones. This made people not want to adopt an otherwise great dog.

By the way, the website is www.petsinc.org if you want to check out the animals.

Mary

Great website!!! Adorable dogs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

If our shelter put down any dog that contacted kennel cough, there would be no dogs left. Every dog that I know of that came from the Humane Society has gotten it.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Mruffruff, your shelter seems so wonderful.. The dogs are all beautiful and the website is great!
    I was shocked by your low fees! Here it costs $135.00 to adopt a dog from the local shelter if they are not neutered/spayed. I think the fee is still around $75.00 if they are.

Whata great organization you have there!