Thread: My big dog is afraid of puppies

My big dog is afraid of puppies

We adopted 2 mix breed puppies 2 weeks ago. They are female approx. 7 weeks old. Our 3 year old, Jack, a lab, great dane mix is afraid of them. They just want to play with him like they do with our other dog. He runs upstairs and stays as far away as he can.
    Any advice? or do you think time will be the answer. he likes all other dogs.
    He hates these puppies.

Awww, poor Jack! Can you keep him on a leash for some supervised time with them? He may be afraid of them because they are so much littler than him, but getting him used to them now would be a good thing, and let him know he is still first dog in your heart! If you can wear the puppies out a bit, then have them interact with him when they are not quite so hyper, it might help him be less nervous around them.

Most of all, time will be the answer, but you can help him be less afraid now, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Nita,

The introduction of any new animal to an existing single or group, can be a rather traumatic event for "him".

One very important issue is that you reassure him that he's not being substituted or replaced. LOTS of petting and that when the puppies are near.
    Make sure he knows that you're with "him", while they're there too.

Other than that, time will make it's adjustments as the "puppy" scent diminishes in your newcomers.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

My older dog doesn't like puppies either. You know why? Puppy teeth. I'm entirely convinced she doesn't want those needle sharp puppy teeth sinking into her. I suggest you just respect your dog's wishes to stay away from the puppies while they have those teeth and are bouncy and jumpy and give him some time to get used to them. Also, put the puppies away and give him some time with the family by himself everyday.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    Also, put the puppies away and give him some time with the family by himself everyday.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

thanks for the info. I think you are right. Time will help the most. We are making sure Jack has lots of family time without the puppies.