Thread: Cat urine and hardwood floors???

Cat urine and hardwood floors???

Okay, besides that fact that they don't mix -

Has anyone had to address the black stains from cat urine on a hardwood floor?

This morning I moved a litter box. Apparently, in the last 3 or 4 days, "someone" stepped in, and peed. The urine went outside the box, flowed off the plastic litter mat and sat under the litter box. When I moved the box, the area was still wet, and also very black.

Dried it up, vacuumed, washed it with some warm soapy water. This is not the first (or even the 2d or 3rd) such black mark on my hardwoods. The others were all from Amber during the last 3 weeks he was ill, and I haven't had to deal with one in about 4 years. All the others are "hidden" under pieces of furniture.

Is there any easy way to clean the floors? The only thing I can think of is to sand and refinish; and sanding may not even do it, may have to replace a board or 6! Anyone had to deal with this find a solution?
    Thanks!

Boy, that's a tough one.

I think I'd be tempted to try this:

Soak with an enzyme cleaner and let dry. I know it just makes the stain worse, but you don't want to encourage the odor to stick around.

Sand black spots until varnish is gone.

Try a wood bleach on the stains. This is NOT regular bleach.

A little more hand sanding and several coats of varnish might do the trick. Otherwise, I'm afraid replacement is the only option.

If you try it, please let us know how it works for you. I opted for laminate to avoid a lot of black boards.

If mruffruff's idea works please let us know.I also have hardwood floors and accidents happen a lot
    I hope you don't have to replace the boards.
    They accually have FINISHED floor boards you can replace them with.(real hardwood too).Too make it a little easier if you have to replace them.
    I wish you luck.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

I'll have Dugans dad reply when he gets home to night . he has a hard wood floor business and has for almos 25 years . don't do any thing yet.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Don't worry, I am just gathering info right now. I look forward to hearing what a pro suggests! If it makes a difference, these floors are about 40 years old, have a varnish finish, and Mom used to put bowling alley wax on them. I haven't done that in the 12 years since she passed on, so the wax may have all worn off.

Hey Feedom,
    From the 'black color' I take it they are oak floors. Oak and moisture create black due to high tannin acid in wood. Miniwax makes a product called Renovator that when used with steel wool will dissolve old wax residue and may lighten stain. Wood bleach may also lighten area as mentioned. Sanding may take out stain depending on depth of color. Board replacement would be another option and not too difficult. Board would have to be sanded to match existing wood thickness, then finished. If floor has had nothing done to it recently then top coat is not protecting wood. Having been waxed it would need to be resanded and a new poly coat put on. If you have any questions feel free to PM.

Tim
    "All It Takes For The Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People TO DO NOTHING!"

Me and my husband appreciate the info Tim

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Wow, thanks! I really appreciate all the info.