Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rescued new-born kittens, need advice"

"Rescued new-born kittens, need advice"

kevlin is working in N.O. we live about a hr from where he is working but any way he found 8 littens that was born sat but no mom to them two are near death so hes on his way to bring them home so we can try to save them we have never took care of baby kittens please tell us what we can do to try and save them
    Last edited by Dustys People 2; 10-09-2006 at 05:21 PM.

You need Kimlovescats help. She's done this before as well as others here so hopefully someone can help you. All I know is you'll need to keep them warm and bottle feed them KMR which can be bought at petstores. Since they are that young you may have to use a syringe to feed them. Best of luck and bless your husband.

From Decker with Love

Here is a link on how to raise orphaned kitties.

http://www.animalhelp.com/library/ar...l.cfm?artid=70

Good luck and please keep us posted.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

8 Little Babies down to 7

Ok I made it in with the babies, 1 which was white and black passed away shortly after I made it home. There are 6 black with small traces of white and 1 smoke grey. They where in a closet of a building where the Steamboats Dock on the Mississippi River. I have to give the baby a name and I think Mississippi Queen would do her fine.
    Now to the story of how this came about, Upon me arriving on the site today I was asked by a State Trooper if I liked cats, My reply was yes he told me there were some Kittens about 1 to 2 days old in a closet and that he had not seen a mother cat since he had been there. They called animal control and they have not returned his call. OOP's animal control in New Orleans you have to be kidding Right. A city with no one to Adopt hmmm wonder what would happen!!! Any way I looked into the closet which had a cold Cement floor The white and black baby barely moving, No Mommy kitty seen in the area in two days. I would rather them be here than me leave them there to die. The trooper seems to think the mommy either abandoned, got hit by a train, or fell into the river. I told him I would take the babies and do my best to raise and find them homes.
    We tried with white and black to bring him back to health but we were to late. The wife is so upset Keeps saying " I wish we could have got to them sooner." I told here with a litter of 8 kittens we will do good if we can save the other 7. We will post pics and keep you all updated. Keep those babies in your Kitty Prayers. Thanks Kev and Rhonda

A friend of mine who has done a great deal of rescue used to put the tiny kittens inside her sweater because it gave them warmth and the comfort of her hearbeat. It's wonderful that you took in all these kittens because it's going to be quite a lot of work for a few weeks. May I suggest that you change your thread title so that more people who have experience in this field read your posts. Something like "Rescued new-born kittens, need advice" will get a lot more responses.

Thats A Shame About That Poor Kitten.
    Hes An Eternal Kitten Angel And Will See You
    One Fine Day.
    Good Luck, And God Bless With Those Other Kittens.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

YIKES ... two days old is very young!!! First of all, WARMTH .... babies die easily of hypothermia. Put them in a blanket under a warm lamp. Just be sure the lamp isn't too close, to burn them .... or BETTER YET, if you have a heating pad, put it on LOW under their blanket or towel!!! Next, get some KMR (kitten milk replacement) ASAP! The little bottles are so hard to use ... I would advise getting a syringe (no needle of course) and using that. You can get them from a local pharmacy or feed mill. They need nourishment immediately, warmth and pottying! You will need to rub their little bottoms gently with a warm wash cloth .... warm water. It IS possible for them to survive, but time is of the essence!

Good luck!

Kim

Got it

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    YIKES ... two days old is very young!!! First of all, WARMTH .... babies die easily of hypothermia. Put them in a blanket under a warm lamp. Just be sure the lamp isn't too close, to burn them .... or BETTER YET, if you have a heating pad, put it on LOW under their blanket or towel!!! Next, get some KMR (kitten milk replacement) ASAP! The little bottles are so hard to use ... I would advise getting a syringe (no needle of course) and using that. You can get them from a local pharmacy or feed mill. They need nourishment immediately, warmth and pottying! You will need to rub their little bottoms gently with a warm wash cloth .... warm water. It IS possible for them to survive, but time is of the essence!

Good luck!

Kim
    Kim I bought all of what is on that list the KMR, Bottles, Syringe, and a meds Droppes. ist there anything else I can do? We have them on a heating pad with a towel over the heating pad, I just want to try and help the other 7 survive mom's due back Wenesday and I know she will be a BIG help but I just have to help them make it.......I just have to

I wish there was some magical thing I could tell you, but it sounds like you have already taken the most important steps!!! Are they taking the KMR from the syringe ok? You can rub their little backs after they eat too, to try and get them to burp ..... you may or may not know if they do, but it is good to try! I'm sure you know this, but just in case, no milk at all ... only the Kitten Formula!

Do they seem like they have energy, or are they lifeless acting? You can rub them gently with a towel to help stimulate them to breath more regularly as well. I wish I could be there to help!

For Kimlovescats "PICS"

Kim they are very Active, They move around so much. Hope thats a good sign. Oh MOST Important how often do we feed them?

MOVING a lot? GREAT!!!!

HOW CUTE...they look almost like little mice with their eyes closed.

They will see YOU when their eyes open, and will think you are MOM.

You'll have some very bonded kitties!

I THINK they get fed every 3 hours or so? But Kim and others can confirm that!

You may have to do this in shifts.

Bless you and those babies!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's good that they are moving around. I see that one at the back of the carrier! Yes, every 3 - 4 hours is standard. If you hear them crying before that, then they may need feeding sooner. You are doing everything you can right now, try not to worry!

OH Kevlin,,,,,,,,How I wish we lived closer together so I could help take care of them. And Mom is going to have a fit when she gets home on Wed. and finds out about these precious little ones you have.
    I am so glad you and Ronda decided to bring them home and not leave them where they were.

Oh boy do you have your hands full. Thank you so much for caring for these little ones. Do you have a vet you could take them to that would help you out with feeding and stimulating them? They do need to be fed every couple hours. Sounds like you're doing everything everyone has advised. Good luck and I'll be watching for updates.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Next Feeding

With next feeding I am going to try and snap Photos of each Baby sepertly so I will have a referance for myself to see how they grow. Hope it all goes as well as its going now...... RieRie I can send some your way. LOL!!!! 7 is alot to care for but we are gonna do it. We gotta do it!!!!!!!