Thread: Frisbee! It's fun!

Frisbee! It's fun!

Well, we just found out that Roxey likes to play frisbee! How much fun, but, we can't seem to get her to want to catch it. Can anyone give me some pointers on that? So more or less, we're playing fetch with the frisbee!! But lots of fun anyway

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

You might try teaching her to the words "catch it" by tossing treats to her in the air. If she has trouble catching, start with something that falls slowly like popcorn. This develops good eye-mouth coordination.

I also saw a video once that showed how to teach a dog to catch a frisbee by playing and teasing them with it in your hand until they would jump up a grab it out of your hand, then gradually toss it just a few feet until they get the idea. Make it seem like the frisbee is the most exciting thing in the world. You could try it with two people just 5-6 feet apart and play keep away with Roxey between you.

By the way, I meant to wish Roxey a very happy birthday on may 31, then spaced out and missed the day. Hope it was a great day for you Roxey.
    Deb & Dave

"Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog."--Robery Morley

Thanks Deb! She can catch food and such, so maybe this will be pretty easy then!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Deb's suggestions were excellent. In addition I would add make sure you are using a soft frisbee. I personally use the soft bite floppy disks so you don't hurt the teeth. Both Dixie and Dusty are frisbee nuts! They can play for hours if I let them.

i agree with Deb motter,if you try getting her to catch food that should help....good luck

Kayla
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Our girls have not quite got the idea of cathcing it in the air, but Sadie sure troes to catch it with her paws!!! They love to chew the Frisbees up, but I bought one at Old Navy that has survived months!!!

Eli our frisbee Aussie-dog sez, "Old Navy frisbees ROCK!" They're soft, they fly great, and for about $3 per disc you can keep several on hand!

In addition to the other good advice you've heard, you might also try to keep the frisbees separate from the rest of Roxey's toys--that way it's "special" (not just another chew toy) and she'll be more wound-up about playing with it when you bring it out of hiding. And Eli first learned to catch one by chasing it as it rolled on the ground, so you might try that so she gets used to grabbing it with her mouth as it spins. Really give it a fling so it rolls on edge very fast, then work up to giving her low flat throws with it. Good luck!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras