Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far away is your family?

How far away is your family?

I'm feeling a bit lonely right now because my mom was here for a week and she just left last night...the pets miss her too! Most of my family is in Iowa, which is about 800 miles away, and my brother is even farther in Cincinnati, which is about 1200 miles. I like living here, but sometimes it's hard for them to be so far away.

Does anyone else have family that's far away?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Sure do. My family is in South Carolina, about a 16-hour drive. I have some family in Illinois, about a 10-hour drive. I have one brother who lives close, and, he's about 40 minutes away. It's hard, but, I've lived far away from family for a long time. I get homesick sometimes, though, so I understand where you're coming from.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Most of my family lives in Brownsville, Tx (1,150 miles away). I usually only see them twice a year, sometimes three. I go home for Christmas and then once around the summertime. My sister lives in D.C. which is even further away but we'll be seeing each other in two weeks. We are going to meet in Las Vegas to celebrate her 30th birthday. It will be her first time meeting Alexa so I'm nervous (we've been dating for over 2.5 years!). It's hard having family so far away because I feel like they miss out on a lot. I've met Alexa's family lots of times and hang out with her younger sister, but she doesn't know my family at all.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Unfortunately my beloved mother is in Michigan and I'm in Texas. She would move here if her house value hadn't have gone down so much due to the auto companies laying off thousands.

If she can find someone she knows and trusts to rent her house, she can move here to TX, otherwise, she'll have to wait until the home value goes up again, but that could take 5-10 years or even more...there's no saying how long it'll take to recover from the massive layoffs.

My older brother lives near my mom in MI, and my younger brother lives in San Fransisco, CA. Sadly, I have none of my family here except for my married family. I like it here but it'll never be perfect until my mom gets here

MOM'S SIDE:Most of my mom's side of the family lives in Illinois. But, her brother lives in Florida.

DAD'S SIDE: 2 of my dad's sisters live in Oregon, (my favorite place in the whole world) And 1 lives oround us. And my grandpa and grandpa live in Colorado.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My dad, brother/fiance/2 year old neice live 15 minutes away.
    My sister/husband/nephew and my brother/wife live 25 minutes away (opposite directions)
    My oldest neice/husband/4 year old great neice live 3 hours north.
    My 2nd oldest neice/fiance lives 3 hours south.

So we are all fairly close.

My mom, dad, sister and youngest brother live 8 blocks away. My oldest brother lives about 11 blocks away.
    Last edited by Crazy-Cat-Lover; 10-08-2006 at 04:04 PM.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB*
    MOM'S SIDE:Most of my mom's side of the family lives in Illinois. But, her brother lives in Florida.

DAD'S SIDE: 2 of my dad's sisters live in Oregon, (my favorite place in the whole world) And 1 lives oround us. And my grandpa and grandpa live in Colorado.
    Where in Oregon?

Now, let's see. My dad and stepmom live in eastern Oregon and I miss them. My grandfather, sister, and brother live in Eugene and I miss them. The rest of my maternal family are a bunch of morons that I'd rather not associate with. I don't know my dad (bio) so I couldn't tell you about his family.

The only family I have left are 3 cousins, a brother and my daughter. My brother lives the farthest away in Shrewsbury, Mass. The rest all live in Connecticut within driving distance.

I can understand you being lonely. When I was in Michigan, I missed them all terribly. That was one of the reasons I moved back to CT.

Pembroke_Corgi,

Think of all of us here on PT as your extended family. We're here for ya!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My closest family is 2,500km away. The rest are over 3,000km. I go back once a year usually to see my immediate family. My parents usually come here once a year. If my sister didn't have kids, I'd probably never go back, but I miss my nieces.

My FIL lives just down the road from us, but I don't really consider him family. We aren't close at all and I"m not happy he followed us up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    Where in Oregon?

Now, let's see. My dad and stepmom live in eastern Oregon and I miss them. My grandfather, sister, and brother live in Eugene and I miss them. The rest of my maternal family are a bunch of morons that I'd rather not associate with. I don't know my dad (bio) so I couldn't tell you about his family.
    They live in a very small town right outside of Salem.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

All my family lives far away (not counting my parents and sister because I live with them) the members on my mom's side live two and a half hours away. The members on my dad's side live six-seven hours away.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Not too far away, but they're away nonetheless. I'm living in the dorms at school so my family and my Hoodlums are about 2.5 hours away from me. As for the rest of my family, they all live somewhere in Michigan, all except my Grandma who lives in Arizona. I have an Aunt that lives only about 45 minutes from here and she's picked me up the last three weekends and took me to agility trials, so that's kinda nice.

edit: My oldest brother is moving to Georgia within the next month, though
    Last edited by k9krazee; 10-08-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Seems like my family has always been scattered, for many years, my kids lived 500 miles-1500 miles away because their dad (my ex) took them and moved every couple years. Now we're all back in Ohio, they are still 100 miles from here, but at least I can see them once in a while.
    My brothers are 2 hrs.(OH) away and 12 hours away (Maine). Rest of my side of the family live in VT, MA, and FL. My husband's family are in OH, WI, VA and CA. I invite friends over for holiday meals who also don't have any family close-by.
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 10-08-2006 at 08:18 PM.

I live in Columbus, and my family lives in Cleveland. So I am about 2 1/2 hours away from home.

But when I make my decision to move to Tennessee, I will be at least 10-12 hours from home. (that is, after I graduate from college.)
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred