Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess who's fostering 3 week olds?? ....PIX! UPDATE!

Guess who's fostering 3 week olds?? ....PIX! UPDATE!

All I intended to do today was go to work and come home like any other day, well not today... lol

One of my coworkers has alot of barn cats, and one of them frequently abandons it's kittens before they're old enough. Usually this coworker doesn't find them until it's too late. This time she found them while they were still alive, est. about 3 weeks old (the biggest one weighs in at 1/2 pound). She brought them to work today because she's a dog person and knows very little about caring for tiny kittens. She did what she could but she knew they needed more.

So this morning she brought them to work hoping one of us could help her out. The kittens were shivering, weak, and starving, the momma kitty has been gone 3 days now. I immediately got out some kitten formula to feed them and 'potty-ed' them, and snuggled them down in a bunch of soft warm blankies! They immediatly stopped crying (which she said they hadn't done since she'd found them). So for the rest of the work day they sat near the desk so I could watch them.

She begged me to foster them, but I said I had to ok that with hubby first (I mean this would make 8 cats in the household, even temporarily). I let one of the kittens cry over the phone and hubby couldn't resist the pittiful mewing. Needless to say, I'm now the proud foster mommy of 3 darling 3 week old kittens! Coworker offered to pay for food, and only one round of antibiotics if they needed it, no heroic measures if they got sick. I'm not sure I can do that, I'm too used to doing everything for my own kitties. We'll have to see. Anyways, in the meantime I'm gonna snuggle and nurture these 'ladies and gentelman' until they are old enough adopt out.

So now they are bedded down in one of my carriers (incidentally the one I raised Pooky & Bear in), and they have one of those heated disks with the soft cover, a bunch of bedding and they're living in my cpu room for a few weeks. Once they're old enough to eat on their own and use a sandbox, they can go to permenant homes.

Here's some pix....

This one we're calling Sabrina, she's a little witch lol She bullies her way around and occasionally climbs the front of the carrier to the point that when I open the gate, she's still hanging on to it! She walks over the other kittens. I suspect she's gonna have quite a 'Tortitude' when she grows up. lol

This one is the middle sized one, we haven't yet found a name for her we like yet, although hubby keeps trying to talk me into calling her 'Badger' because of the markings on her face. I'm simply not going to call her that. She's a little less adventuresom than Sabrina, however she does wander around a bit, or rather lunge then wobble, then fall over lol.

This one we're calling Josh. He's very messy and doesn't seem to know how to suckle the bottle properly. He's the runt, and the one I'm most worried about. He can't seem to hold his head up and doesn't walk around very much, he's frail and weak. My coworker said this one had what seemed like a siezure yesterday. I'm hoping with alot of TLC he'll pull through. I can't wait till he's strong enough I can clean him up some.

Here's all three together. I appologize that my pix aren't very good, kittens are hard to photograph! lol

Last edited by Catlady711; 10-08-2006 at 07:47 PM.

They're adorable and I'm so glad that you're able to foster them. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated about them.

(Maybe if mom cat always abandons her babies she should be SPAYED! )

But anyway, these babies are adorable. I just love Josh! Best of luck with them.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW oh these sure brought a smile to my face this morning. How precious is this?
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Those tiny little bundles! How amazing. Bless you for taking these little ones in and giving them lots of TLC.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Yes - maybe tell your friend not to pay for antib's and stuff, but to get that one momma spayed!

Or ask the vet for a bulk rate and do them ALL.

The babies are adorable! I pray Josh turns the corner and makes it! Sometimes the weakest ones surprise us!

Beautiful - and I liked the touch of letting a kitten mew at your husband over the phone. Blackmail! HEE HEE HEE!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

They are so cute!!! I love little messy Josh.

I really appreciate these pictures more than you know. I've been trying to figure out how old the kittens I caught are and since I've never been around ones this little before I thought they were 2-3 weeks but Kimlovescats says they are probaby closer 4-5 weeks. Now after seeing your 3 week old for comparison I see how off I was! They even have their teeth already.

Good luck with your bottle babies. I'm thrilled to know I can begin weaning mine over to solid food. These bottle feedings are wearing me out.

From Decker with Love

AAwww! How sweet and tiny and innocent! What a raw deal nature gave them. Glad to see you stepped in the help make a difference! Best to all of them.

They are precious .... little Josh has me worried though! If he isn't sucking on the bottle, get a syringe from your vet's office. Get one of the ones with the long narrow tips. They are usually much easier to use than bottles ... at least for me!!!

Good luck!
    Kim

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Oh, they're so sweet. Poor widdle Josh - I hope he makes it. I like the syringe idea. Good luck with them and keep us posted, although you've probably got your hands very full (literally) with this brood.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Bless you for taking on these precious babies. They are so adorable.

I pray that Josh thrives on your care.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Lil Josh kinda looks like a wee wild Willie!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

What precious little ones!!! The torties already look like they have the tortitude!!! Many prayers for wee Josh!!! And for you, too!! What a very kind person you are to take up such a task!!! I hand raised a few and it is hard work!!! But worth very second!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

That So Sad That These Babies Were Put In Such Peril.
    We Are Praying That You Can Get All Three Of These Babies Through The Critical Next Few Months Of Thier Lives.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Update!

ok, to catch up with your posts all together here lol....

The mamma cat is feral and this coworker is going to get a trap to catch her and get her spayed. Apparently she's been fairly elusive.

I do also have a syringe for Josh, as I always keep a few on hand for various meds I've had need of one for. I just prefer the bottle as it's easier, not neccesarily neater, but easier lol.

The 'middle one' now has a name, fitting of a Torti....Sassy! lol She's quite the mouthy thing and very demanding when she wants something, but not as bold as Sabrina. lol

Yes doing feedings every 4 hrs is quite a job (especially at 5am lol), and I only have enough hands to feed one at a time, while the other two cry pittifully. Wish I was an octopus! lol Also since it's been 4 years since I raised Pooky & Bear, I'd forgotten how messy formula and kittens are! lol I'm making almost as much of a mess as the kittens are.

I also forgot how sharp kitten nails are! My hands and arms are getting all scratched up where they keep climbing me! lol I still have Bear & Pooky's baby fingernail clippers. I'll probably clip the fosters nails tomorrow, if hubby helps me, they are wiggly little things. lol

JOSH - Josh seems to be doing better!! Early this morning he raised his head up some, and I tried the bottle and he did manage to suck for a few seconds! Later this morning he was able to suck several times, as well as later this afternoon. And each time his head raises just a little more and he's looking around some now. Tonight I put them out on the carpet so they could get some excersize and lo and behold, Josh actually walked around some, slowly and wobbly, but he did walk. Even managed to climb up hubby's shirt! lol Course hubby just melted when Josh did that!

SABRINA & SASSY are quite the adventuresome ones. The wanna crawl all over the place and try to get into trouble. I sometimes have my hands full with them. lol

Already the fosters seem to recognize me. When I got done feeding them tonight I put them back in the carrier with their newly warmed disk, but left the door open. I was laying on my stomach on the floor facing the carrier, talking to them. One by one they all climbed out and came up to kiss my nose....Then promptly tried to crawl into my shirt! lol I love kittens!! They've also started purring now. Sounds more like a vibration, but they'll learn to purr loudly eventually.

Thank you for all your prayers and kind words!! I'll keep you updated, and try again for some better pix. I'm planning on getting flyers made up to put up at work and such, but I really need some good pix. Guess I have some time as it will be several weeks yet before they can be adopted out. First they have to be able to eat regular food and use a litter box on their own. In the meantime I'm just gonna keep giving them TLC.