Thread: Cockapoos

Cockapoos

I just recently obtained a cockapoo and i think they should be a breed. Do you think so?

I'm not sure. At the moment, they are simply a crossbreed of two dogs, and until a long line of fully-bred cockapoos have produced healthy puppies, and other breeds have added a little blood to the stock too to produce an individual characteristic present in every dog from then on, I don't think it will be considered a breed.

I think though, whether a dog is pure-bred or not, every dog is just as cute as the next!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I don't think they fit the criteria for a breed. There's no breed standard at all, no ideal Cockapoo type which others should be based off of, and they're still being produced by crossing Cockers and Poodles- They aren't being bred from other Cockapoos.
    Monsty, I love you, you are my precious angel.

There pretty much is a standard for older generations of cockapoos. They are supposed to look very close to benji, long wavy hair and a full tail. The problem is that byb's and puppy mills are breeding first generation cockers with poodles, so what people see is not what a cockapoo breeds into after 20+ generations.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    There pretty much is a standard for older generations of cockapoos. They are supposed to look very close to benji, long wavy hair and a full tail. The problem is that byb's and puppy mills are breeding first generation cockers with poodles, so what people see is not what a cockapoo breeds into after 20+ generations.
    Where is this standard? I have seen several cockapoos and none of them have looked remotely close to Benji. Seems to me that Benji was a terrier mix.

No. They shouldn't be a breed.

sorry but no...enough said.

See thread:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...67#post1629067

It relates to any designer breed.

No because I don't see why you couldn't just get a poodle or a cocker.

Niņo & Eliza

Oh there's a few standards floating around, but I do find they are generally in agreement. Being that it is a mix though, they still accept many traits of either breed, but it's often emphasized that the preferred look comes out with later generations. I'm sure a stricter standard would be in place if people didn't have any first generation pups anymore, but that's the same with all breeds. http://www.cockapooclub.com/ccapages...edstandard.htm
    http://www.americancockapooclub.org/standard.html

One Benji was a cockapoo/schnauzer mix I believe. But Benji has been played by four dogs. Currently a female cocker mix is playing Benji.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton