Thread: chewie agressive

chewie agressive

So Runner has been pretty good about not growling or something when we get near her while she's eating. BUT, if we get our hand near her when she has a chewie, watchout.

I've been trying to keep my daughter away from her while she has one. She is even agressive while I get near her.

Now my daughter is walking around saying " ateyou!!! " for " bite you!! " lol

just don't bother her when she has a treat.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

well duh lol. But is there a reason why she acts this way? Can I fix it? Should I be scared that we might get our hands bit off?

it's called treat aggression... you could practice NILIF (http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm) with her. does she act this way when she has her food, too ??

nope, this is the only problen I have with her.

well to prevent you and your child from getting bit, just leave her alone while she is enjoying her treat.

Does she have a crate? Or a special place she can go to be by herself? You certainly can't have a youngster stumble upon while she's eating one, and have something bad happen. I would ONLY give her chewies when she can be in a crate or somewhere totally alone, and the child has no access to her. NILIF is a great way to help with the treat aggression. Also I would start by taking away her food while she's eating...and then give it back...a toy that shes chewing on, take it away, and then give it back...a not so tasty treat, take it away and then give it back...and so on until you are able to take away the chewie if necessary. If you take anything of the dogs away, make sure to give it back!

it's only the chewie lol. I can take everything else away. Even tasty stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by ashleycat
    it's only the chewie lol. I can take everything else away. Even tasty stuff lol
    Yes, but I think that the point in taking her food bowl, toy, etc, away is so she gets used to the idea of the hand being there and in, on, and/or around her while she's playing, eating, and the like.