Thread: Learning languages

Learning languages

I would really love to learn fluent Japanese. The problem is there isn't any classes (that I'm aware of) that I haven't already taken. There is 2 course in university for introduction to japanese, which I took. It doesn't go any further though.

I've been looking online for tutors around here, but no luck. I KNOW there are people here who can speak Japanese. PEI is a place the japanese love to visit (because of Anne of Green Gables??) and there are tour groups for them and all that.

How can I go about finding a tutor? I don't want to randomly ask people incase that is considered rude...but I *really* want to learn it. I've learned a lot on my own, and in class...but I couldn't have a conversation with anyone unless it's like "hi, how are you? nice weather" or something..hahah. That won't take me far

I can't "travel" anywhere to learn it, and I can't find any good online tutorials. I think I would need someone to talk to, not reading some random tutorial.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the pointless thread...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Hm.. don't feel rude asking someone you know (or don't)!

The way I became good friends from someone from South Korea who came to Canada was asking her if she could teach me some Korean.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I was just thinking about this! I'm taking a quickie course on Mandarin (I speak Canto) and the program Rosetta Stone was mentioned. I hear it really does work and I know many schools use the program as a reinforcer. Unfortunately, it *is* pricy, but you should still check it out:

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/

You can also approach your instructor and ask for one-on-one training to improve your proficiency. Adult schools sometimes offer more advanced classes, too. I know a local adult school that offers conversational Japanese while the local community college only offers an introduction to Japanese.

Try posting on craigslist, see if there are Japanese speakers who might want to tutor you, or just meet to converse!

Since your area gets lots of Japanese tourists, you could call the local tourism bureau or association. They probably know where to find a translator who might be willing to teach too.

Maybe Missy (Sirrahsim) can help you?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Have you thought about contacting the Japanese embassy in Ottawa? They might be able to "hook" you up with some Japanese speakers (citizens) who live in PEI.

One thing that I tried that helped me pick up more Japanese (I took a couple classes in college) was to join a couple of Pen Pal sites for Japanese speakers, and chatting on MSN and things - doing a trade for english skills for japanese skills. I also mentored ESL for Japanese co-op students in college - don't know if thats a possibility either.

a couple sites:
    http://www.polyglot-learn-language.com/ (look up Japanese speakers)
    http://www.japan-guide.com/local/
    http://www.nk.rim.or.jp/~hirokun/index2.html

Also, I like Glacier's suggestion to contact the local tourist board - maybe they have some information, or the possibillity to volunteer to show the sites to some Japanese visitors? Also, depending on your situation, theres always homestay programs, or being a host home for japanese students (i did that for one semester, and it was a lot of fun)