Thread: The three dog breeds we're torn about.....

The three dog breeds we're torn about.....

Well my fiance and I have decided that we are ready to start mulling over the puppy idea.. It's been 5 months since Tikeya passed away, and I miss her so badly... I miss having a dog, I miss the walks everyday, the fun activities that we did.. I miss having a dog in our lives.. I actually have never had a moment in my life where a dog wasn't apart of it.. So these last few months have been really hard on me..

SO my fiance and I have decided between three different breeds of dogs.. From which ONE we will choose..

English Bullterrier, Hungarian Vizsla, and Norwegian Elkhound

Those three breeds I have researched a lot, all are active outdoors loving breeds, whom love jogging, romping, and hiking which is what im looking for. I want to do agility with my next dog, and an eager to learn breed (so makes us lean towards the Vizsla).. I have met dogs of each breed and I Adored them all..

Any input.. ?

Thanks
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

As long as you are ready for the energy level, the Viszla sounds like a good choice, though of course any of them could be great dogs. I would probably just keep checking rescue sites for all three until some pup caught your heart! Friends of mine now have their second Viszla/Lab mix, their new gal is dark (Marley was red like a Viszla) and still getting used to being a family dog, but is great with their kids (6-year-old twins) and already much loved!
    I've Been Frosted

We have a woman with 2 Vizlas in Willy's Agility class - awesome to watch them go~! Of course, she's been working with them for 4 years now, lol.

As for the other 2 breeds, the Elkhound has a coat like a husky, I believe, so you get to deal with the blowing coat issue a few times a year. And if your city has breed specific legislation, do check which breeds are listed, some place list the bullterrier. *sigh*

I especially enjoy watching Jinx and Pepper at Agility, as the Vizla is a lithe long legged dog. So even for the handler, she has to do things differently than I do for Willy. Jinx is her male, Pepper is her female. Both are fixed; don't know if she got them as puppies, they are a year apart in age. Seem quite devoted to her! Her husband brings them to class (he gets out of work earlier, so goes home to get them) and she comes directly to the facility from work. Yes they are good with him, but he ceases to exist the moment she walks in the room, ha haaa.

out of those 3.. I'd go with the Bullterrier.. but that's because that's one breed I'd like to have.. hehe

considering your exp with husky hair.. the Elkhound sounds good.. but for the sporting desire I'd got for the Vizsla.. I gava years ago a friend of mine a Vizsla.. very cute versatile breed.. esp. for sporting.. (I think of them as weim&dobe mixes :P)
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I agree that for an English Bull Terrier you would have to be sure there is no chance of BSL banning your breed, you have to make sure your insurance will accept it, and you have to have a stable home environment because should you have to move and or rent you may not have the best of times finding a place for your "vicious and dangerous dog".

I think the elkhound is a little hardier because its much less popular than the vizsla. Typically the ones I've known were overweight and hypothyroidism seems to be one of their main issues, which isn't a bad one compared to what some other breeds are dealing with. I don't think they are the greatest for training. They're stubborn. You have to be up for the task.

Vizslas are extremely popular in WI where everybody and their neighbor owns some sort of hunting dog. Lots of health issues that are hard to deal with as some of them are immune mediated and they can be sensitive to medications and even flea treatments. Lots of anxiety issues. From what I know of them, the can be very timid if not socialized well. They crave being with their people. A vizsla would be great for an active lifestyle, but be careful overexercising a puppy.

Honestly, you shouldn't be too concerned about which to pick. You're a proactive pet owner. Most pet owners don't do anything other than the basics for their pets. You've got the will to make the best of whatever dog become your next family member.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Personally, I would choose the Bullterrier, but I am a softie for bulldogs and bully type dogs!!!
    RIP: Misty - Pomeranian
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Veera,Festus, BigMac - cats
    Zeus, Bubbles, Kruzer, Hatter - guinea pigs

Meet Rupert, he lives in northern Wisconsin. He is part KangaROO LOL

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...SnowRupert.mp4

(Someone I know just posted this of her vizla, so I thought of this thread)

I know some about Vizslas, which sounds like a good fit for you, not so much the other two.

My brother wants a Vizsla when he gets a house, it'd be a great playmate for Springen. What I like about them is their NEED for their people. Separation anxiety is common among them. If you want a clingy dog, this breed would be good for you. I'm sure you know they are extremely active and thrive upon exercise. They are one breed that has little to no doggy smell, as they are catlike in that they lick themselves endlessly! And of course- they are beautiful!

Good luck on your choice As hard as it is to lose a beloved pet, it's hard to live without dogs for very long!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I use to babysit a Vizsla. Beautiful girl, very smart. Clingy, though. I couldn't get up off the couch without her following me. I felt bad sometimes. She also hopped in the shower with me, LOL. My mix? I can sprint in the house (as if...) and he won't budge. He fits our lifestyle so well.

Any dog you rescue will be a perfect fit, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Meet Rupert, he lives in northern Wisconsin. He is part KangaROO LOL

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...SnowRupert.mp4

(Someone I know just posted this of her vizla, so I thought of this thread)
    bahahaha thats a cute video!

Well we have chosen a breed.... I contacted a breeder last night and just started asking questions about their breeding program.
    I asked a bunch of questions like pedigree, health testing, what type of food they feed ect... I haven't gotten one response email, but they didn't answer all my questions . I sent another email re-asking my questions lol.
    Its a surprise, but when we make our final decision on a breeder and put a deposit down then I will let you all know
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven