Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is he ?? (mix breed question)

What is he ?? (mix breed question)

My wife and I adopted our little boy Rocco from North Shore and he was 7 weeks and 6lb. We were told he was a German Sheppard and Collie mix. When we first took him home he kinda looked like a german sheppard since he had a lot of black/grey fur. Now he is about 5 months old you can see he is definately now German sheppard / collie mix. I noticed lately he is beginning to drool a little, his nose is not long and narrow at all, it is short and stocky, he is not aggressive at all, does have burst of energy but overall loves to sleep, just sit outside with me, etc. I think he might be part mastiff. So I went online and came across a Engish Mastiff / Norweign Elkhound mix, and our baby looks just that mixed breed.

Here are some pics: pictures 1 & 2 are when he was 7 months old
    pictures 3, 4, & 5 are recent ones (5 months old).

Any suggestions????

Also are there any good sites that you are aware of that shows a lot of mixed breeds?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At 7 weeks.JPG 
Views:	2870 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	30741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT 7 weeks 2.JPG 
Views:	2589 
Size:	1,011.3 KB 
ID:	30742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 Months.JPG 
Views:	2479 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	30743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 Months 2.JPG 
Views:	2289 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	30744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 Months 3.JPG 
Views:	2619 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	30745  

Last edited by rocco_nap; 10-04-2006 at 07:41 PM.

He does look a tiny bit mastiff like to me in his face, but it's always hard to tell with puppies. I have absolutely no idea what he might be mixed with though. Perhaps he's a Mastiff/Golden or maybe Golden/German Shepherd? Lol...I'm not very good at guessing breeds. It's ard just to judge by his colour too as soo many mixes and purebreds can come in the same colour.
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 10-04-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Shepherd/Golden Retreiver maybe ... He's too fluffy, and not wrinkly-faced or jowly enough to seem Mastiff at all to me, and you didn't mention drool ... It'll be easier to gauge when he's full grown!

I agree with the German Shepherd/Golden Retriever suggestion. He is so cute. I could cuddle with him all day. =)

What gorgeous gams. I'd say german shepherd/chow. He's got a chow's face structure and he sounds about as aloof as a typical chow also. At his size I'd rule out mastiff.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I agree with IRescue452. He does look like a german shepard/chow. We have 2 german shepard/chow and yours looks similar

He is 5 months old and about 40lbs. I thought about german sheppard mix but people that have german sheppard tell me his face structure does not resemble a german sheppard nor does the color of his fur. Golden Retriever possible, but what about the drooling. Do Chow's drool? The only reason why I thought of a Mastiff / Norweign Elkhound is because when I googled it, the pictures of them and my rocco look identical. Regarding the size, a Norweign Elkhound only grows to 60lbs. Take a look at the pictures below of a English Mastiff / Norweign Elkhound
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	english mastiff and Norwegian Elkhound.jpg 
Views:	1714 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	30746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	english mastiff and Norwegian Elkhound2.jpg 
Views:	822 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	30747  

His fur colour looks perfectly german shepherd-like to me. And his face structure is typical of that of a german shepherd mix and that of a chow mix. His eyes look like a chow's. I can't see a mastiff and an elkhound being a feesible mix. You'd have to have both dogs intact and have them somehow get together. You really need to look at breeds that are typical strays in your area. You aren't even sure that the supposed mastiff/elkhoud in the pictures is actually that breed. I'll bet that pup came from a shelter also and was just a guess.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Chow was the first thing that jumped out at me when I looked at him. Any dog can drool...it really isn't just a characteristic of certain breeds. My guess would also be German Shepherd/Chow

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Definitely....

your dog is definitely a german shepherd/chow mix. i was shocked because he looked so much like my puppy when i first brought her home

German Shepherd-Chow is what I see too!

Me too! With the stop in her muzzle as low as it is, the ear set would be low in a shepherd like that. However- the puffyness in the muzzle suggests chow or other softer like mouth dog.
    I am also looking at the coat. That coat has alot of double coat in it like a chow would. The hairs come even. A shepherd has a obvious under coat. And stop being fluffy at a very young age. If at all..
    /edited/
    Last edited by borzoimom; 10-27-2006 at 07:58 AM.

I'm not sure what she is but I think her earset is too low and her coat not thick/long enough to be a GSD/chow mix. I also don't think she is an elkhound mastiff mix -- both breeds are fairly uncommon, the liklihood of it is slim.
    I've been BOO'd!

I definitely think that he's part German Shephard and I think he could even be part Collie - like you were told. With strays, the likelihood of two purebred parents is even a long shot, so your pup could have a variety of breeds in him. But he is cute!

Hi there! Welcome to PT. It's hard to tell what breed a dog is when they are a puppy, but if these are new pictures I say he looks like he has some Tibetan Mastiff in him right now. Maybe post some new pictures later on, like next month and we might think different
    EDIT: I just saw the new pictures and my thoughts did change... I say German Shepherd/Chow now!