Thread: Doggy ADHD?

Doggy ADHD?

I was wondering if any of your pets have this? Im pretty sure my cainan does and it's so cute but hard to train certain things! I dont know much about it other than what i read in Marley and Me! haha thanks!

In Marley and Me, Marley didn't really have ADHD. That's just what is owners said as a joke because of how rambunctious and mental he was.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

haha see thats what im talking about! i dont know anything about it, or havent heard anything about it! The only words to do with doggy, and ADHD was in that book and even then i got nothing haha!!

Yeah.. I don't really think nor do I BELIEVE that dogs can have ADHD. All I believe in high strung, rambunctious dogs.

Try some obedience classes with Cainin! I'm sure they'll help!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Some dogs are more trainable than others. If you have a harder dog to train doesn't mean they have ADHD or something, it just means they are harder to train :P

This also goes hand-in-hand with intelligence. I think all breeds are equally as intelligent, some are just easier to train than others are. But I don't think trainability should be a sign of intelligence. Dogs such as Border collies were bred to work with their "humans", whereas dogs like..... ohhh... Beagles, maybe?? Were bred to work alone. Therefore Border Collies are easier to train than Beagles.

I don't know I know what I'm trying to say it's just hard to explain LOL

facebook

i get what your saying! haha! and it's not like cainan is a slow learner by any means! he's actually caught on to quite a bit in the short time period he's been with me! it's just funny to watch him though, he'll be off doing something then get bored with it after about 2 seconds, or something will distract him, it's just funny how he gets so distracted so MANY times while just doing one thing! it's cute! The one thing that can keep his attention though is playing fetch! haha!

Yup my Jamie is the same way. She just needs to be kept busy or gets bored easily. Its just the breed lol

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    But I don't think trainability should be a sign of intelligence.
    Not the only sign anyway. Lots of "dog intelligence" tests are based only on the percentage of times a dog does a command the first time it's given. Give a test like that a husky and they fail miserably! They are at the lower end of all those types of scales. I saw one test where the dogs were asked to problem solve. Huskies were at the top of that scale! There is a musher saying that any dog of any breed can be taught to pull, but ask a Golden Retriever to "gee" and he does it; ask a husky and he waits for the break in the trees!

Isn't Cainan a lab? And isn't he still a puppy?
    Any puppy I've had has had the attention span of a gnat. That's just a puppy for ya. The labs that live in my neighborhood I have watched over a period of years..........it takes them at least 2 years to calm down. There are 5 labs in very close proximity to me. It took the one across the street 3 years to settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Collie
    That's just a puppy for ya.
    Thats exactly what I was going to say He's just a puppy, give it time and he'll learn to focus better.

I spent last weekend with my Aunt's 12 week old Lab puppy and my mission for the weekend was to teach her a new trick. I swear it was the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do, she was either playing with the leash, eating leaves, biting my hand or countless other things..everything except focusing on what I was trying to get her to do! However, I did succeed and this 12 WEEK old puppy learned how to hide her eyes on command in one weekend. We just did lots of short 2 minute sessions and with a little patience it paid off!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Collie
    Isn't Cainan a lab? And isn't he still a puppy?
    Any puppy I've had has had the attention span of a gnat. That's just a puppy for ya. The labs that live in my neighborhood I have watched over a period of years..........it takes them at least 2 years to calm down. There are 5 labs in very close proximity to me. It took the one across the street 3 years to settle down.
    I've had quite a few lab puppies and not a single one has ever acted the way he has! Im not complaining by any means, it's the cutest thing ever! He has been taught numerous things since we've had him and he doesnt learn any slower nor faster than coco or any other puppy ive had! but it's just his attention span while playing or learning new tricks is when he seems kinda outa it! I know labs are extremely hyper, and yes he's amazingly hyper all the time but it must be one of those things, you gotta see it to understand! Im not complaining that cainan has "make believe" ADHD in my eyes but it's awfully cute! I wasnt for sure if there was such thing as that for dogs or not!

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    Thats exactly what I was going to say He's just a puppy, give it time and he'll learn to focus better.

I spent last weekend with my Aunt's 12 week old Lab puppy and my mission for the weekend was to teach her a new trick. I swear it was the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do, she was either playing with the leash, eating leaves, biting my hand or countless other things..everything except focusing on what I was trying to get her to do! However, I did succeed and this 12 WEEK old puppy learned how to hide her eyes on command in one weekend. We just did lots of short 2 minute sessions and with a little patience it paid off!!
    k9, how did you teach her to hide her eyes? I'm looking for a method to teach this to Bailey and Chloe. Chloe's my new puppy (3 months) Bailey's 18 months. I've heard to put a little piece of scotch tape on the face. The scotch tape is made not a sticky by putting it on a peice of fabric prior to putting it on the dogs face. I haven't tried it yet but since you mentioned it, it jogged my memory.