Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Poor Co-Worker - Pet Sitting Horror Story!!

My Poor Co-Worker - Pet Sitting Horror Story!!

My co-worker went on vacation for 1 week and hired a cat/dog sitter. She has 2 cats (one has kidney issues) and a dog (kind of like Fenway, only 10 pounds bigger). She called her pet sitter the night before she was headed back home to see how the animals were doing and to remind the pet sitter they were due back the following day. The pet sitter said "oh, I thought you were leaving in October." My co-worker flipped! She said you should have been watching my pets this whole week - NOT in October! My co-worker was so upset & crying. The pet sitter ran to my co-workers house to see how the animals were doing. The house was a pig sty. There was no food left and very little water. My co-worker thinks the dog may have ate the kitty's poop for food. She said she put a ton of food down so they may of had food for 2-3 days. But not the whole 7 days. The dog peed & pooped everywhere and the house reeked. My poor co-worker couldn't catch an earlier flight so she had to keep her scheduled one. She said she cried & cried all the way home. Can you just imagine? I guess the moral of this story is to call your pet sitter and make sure she/he is doing her/his job. I don't think she'll hire this woman again. My OTHER co-worker recommended her and she said she would still use her. Now this woman knows I pet sit (for co-workers, friends & family) but I don't know why she didn't ask me to pet sit for her. I thought that was kind of strange. But maybe she'll reconsider in the future. I just felt so bad for her.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

OMG some one needs her license and bond pulled.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

That is just one terrible story, I feel so bad for the agony that she had to feel, realizing that her pets had been left to fend for themselves.

How in the heck do things like this happen, I ask!!!!

I'm so glad that her pets are alright!!!!!

Aaaaggghhh that is horrible!! Those poor animals. That is really sad, I'm glad they are ok, at least. I was thinking about hiring a pet sitter for next weekend, but now I am not so sure....

I'd be on the phone every day to see how my babies were doing - would drive any pet sitter mad
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    I'd be on the phone every day to see how my babies were doing - would drive any pet sitter mad

exactly

That is awful! Your poor co-worker!!!
    Michelle

Thank GOD the animals survived. How very scary, tragic and unfortunate.

But, I don't necessarily 'blame' the petsitter. She obviously DID think she was sitting the next month. Who in their right mind doesn't call up the day before they leave to make sure plans are set? I mean, really.

Wow, what a nightmare, but I was wondering why she didn't call to check in earlier.

I just got back from a weeks holiday in Morocco and I called everyday (sometimes twice) to check in.

Oh man what a nightmare! I agree with the others, I check with my pet sitter right before leaving to finalize plans and to go over what needs done. I too call quite often when away on vacation to check up. But, I can't imagine the feelings that your co-worker had coming home, I would have been a mess!

That is terrible. I feel so bad for her & her pets.

Yous have mentioned some great suggestions, calling befroe you leave & frequently while you are on vacation. Please remember to get something in writing, stating the dates & job duties, even if it is a friend.

I hope none of her pets are all doing fine.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Who in their right mind doesn't call up the day before they leave to make sure plans are set? I mean, really.
    My thoughts, exactly! I ALWAYS call and confirm.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

The poor furbabies!! That is just awful.

I feel very fortunate that I have a friend that stops by twice a day when I'm gone on vacation to take care of my kitties. She always leaves me detailed notes on what time who did what, so I know they are cared for well while I'm gone.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Its sad and all but why didnt she call..I know I'd be calling everyday asking for updates and making sure everything is ok. To leave it for a WEEK without calling?!?! I think I would go crazy worrying and wondering and thinking of every bad possibility of what might be happening. But I'd never leave mny pets with a sitter anyways if they cant come I cant go thats it. I couldnt leave the care of my babies in a strangers hands...
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

How sad for all of her poor animals.

Why didn't she call to confirm? I would never just leave and trust that my animals would be gotten to...what if the person I had hired to pet-sit had gotten sick or injured and hadn't been able to notify me? It seems really strange to me that she would just leave without confirming things with her pet-sitter.

Then again, I'm sure she's thinking the same thing.

Thank you Wolf_Q!