Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water bowl flipping.

Everyone beat me to suggestions. =D
    If you want to continue giving him water in a bowl(instead of using a bottle), I suggest either what Blue_Frog gave a link to (we have one to put Larry's food in)... but they usually aren't that big, so it would probably need to be refilled quite often..
    Or, what I would go with, a Ceramic food bowl. I use them for my rats' food, and they haven't managed to tip it yet. Of course, rabbits are bigger than rats. =)

There is the kind that you can find in almost any petstore, and come in alot of different sizes and such. They're pretty heavy.. so they're not easily tipped over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    How about switching him to the Hamster-style water BOTTLE?

They hang on the cage bars in a metal holder;
    and the bottle has a nipple-like outlet that the pet learns to "lick" for a drink.

/s/ Phred
    He won't drink from it. Most buns won't I had on in his cage with the bowl for the first 5 months I had him and he never figured out how to use it.

I'll look into that locking bowl and the ceramic bowl. Chilli, Oslo's not much bigger than a rat, about 2 lbs.

Niņo & Eliza

Everyone's already said what I was going to say. I never had any luck with water bottles either and I've never had one that didn't leak. When I had a rabbit I used a heavy ceramic bowl for his water and a Quick-Lock crock for his food. Here's another link, this picture shows it better.
    I LOVE quick-lock crocks and highly recommend them. They come in 2 sizes and many colors. They are made of heavier plastic than most of the other bowls like them. You can also get them off and on one handed unlike others that attach to the side. They take a couple tries to get the knack of putting them on, but in no time you will be a pro and won't even have to think about it. I use them for my rodents, birds, and dogs.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

For water, I used something like the locking crock, but it fit into the corner. It worked really well. Munch was much bigger than Oslo (like 4-5 lbs), and he could've tipped over anything.

You said his food rots after a few days, how often do you clean it? I cleaned everysingleday... it was just icky if I didn't.

Also, Munch lived in a x-large wire dog crate, they're actually perfect for buns! They have a nice plastic tray and are safe from chewing, and bigger than pet store cages.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    Uh I have a big water bottle on the side of Nebo's crate and I've never had a problem. All it took was a dab of peanut butter on the end for Nebo to figure out water comes out when he licks it. And yes he drinks out of a bowl all other times, but he'd just flip a bowl of water if I left it in his crate with him. He's a dog of course but I don't see why it couldn't work for a rabbit.
    They cant have peanut butter and being a picky type of animal they probly wouldnt eat it.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    They cant have peanut butter and being a picky type of animal they probly wouldnt eat it.
    I didn't mean the peanut butter, I just meant the water bottle in general.

For Daisy and Hershey I use ceramic bowls. Daisy loves to flip over her food and water bottles, too, but ceramic bowls are too heavy for her to flip over.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I would go for a slightly oversized ceramic bowl. Easy to clean, too heavy to be easily tipped.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    Also, Munch lived in a x-large wire dog crate, they're actually perfect for buns! They have a nice plastic tray and are safe from chewing, and bigger than pet store cages.
    Oslo started out in a big dog wire crate too, but it was a hand me down that was falling apart so I bought a big bunny cage.
    I think I'm going to buy that one in the second link Kblaix posted.

Niņo & Eliza

When I had guinea pigs (approx 3.5 lbs each) THIS was the type of bowls I used screwed down tight to the cage, and put a row of about 8 clothespins around it to keep them from throwing the bowl out of the ring. My ginea pigs seemed to like doing that alot, but the clothespins kept it in place and the pigs had no trouble standing up to the bowl. My cage had a plastic base so I put the bowl on the lowest part of the cage bars I could.

I don't know if rabbits are stronger than guinea pigs or not, or if rabbits will sit up to get in the bowl, but it might be worth a try.

good luck

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

rofl.

As soon as I read the title "Water bowl flipping." I immediately knew it was about a rabbit They're naughty little buggers

I dont like water bottles, as I feel they are harder to keep clean and rabbits drink so much more water from bowls - The more water they drink, the better, as it's the most important part of their diet. (If they aren't drinking much, they won't eat much, and eating constantly for rabbits is necessary.)

My rabbits have heavy bowls, my californian (13 lb rabbit) can't flip it, so what I would suggest is just get a heavy croc like other people have suggested.

And you should not immerse your rabbit in water, it can cause a severe shock to their system. What you can do is get a bowl with a couple inches of water and just wash his bottom off.

Oh and I forgot, he probly doesnt have dirreha you probly saw a ceicle(sp?) poop wich is a wet poop that has small ones all clumped together like a bunch of grapes. You usually dont see it because they eat it to help thier digestive system. If he does have diarreha though then mix in some oatmeal not cooked just plain ol oatmeal in his food. That should help get rid of it.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

ok. his breeder said that he'd like some plain raw oatmeal and I used to give him this irish oatmeal stuff we had but I stopped. I think I'll give him some more occasionally.

Niņo & Eliza