Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rottweiler Attack - Advice Needed

Someone gave me a head's up on this thread..wonder why...

As most PTers have read this before, to make a long story short, 2 of my back neighbor's 3 Rotties dug and crawled like groundhogs under his ill mantained fence, and grabbed a puppy I was watching for a neighbor. I grabbed the puppy back (punctured wound on it's butt) and in the process, either fell or tripped. I'll leave out how I was miraculously saved (nobody around) but my left wrist/hand wound up in the one Rottie's jaws. This occurred April 5 in the privacy of my own fenced in yard. My dog was uninjured and I'm glad she didn't attempt to save me.

The Rotties had a doggie door, in and out 8-10 hours a day while the owners were out. One end of the fence had been boarded, but not where they came under, so owner had to know. I have had 2 surgeries, have 1/2 inch or more of my ulna missing in my wrist, tendon damage in my fingers, pain, and limited movement. More surgeries may be performed, but my choice is either no pain but less movement than I have now, or pain and more movement. I also have teeth marks in my calf, and had a chunk of hair pulled from my scalp.

You should have called Animal Control immediately. Personally, my neighbor never apologized, just called it an unfortunate accident (which has ruined my life). It should be put on record. They will research if it happened before. PA has a one bite dog law, so yes, he still owns them, but the lawyer and animal control are digging deep to investigate if this happened previously.
    By reporting the incident, you may be saving another dog and/or human life. Maybe your own children. Animal control will inspect his fence, fine him and possibly supenea him. What do you care if he likes you?

Before it gets too late, give him the vet bill. If he refuses to pay it, he's a scoundral. Remember, nothings been written down and documented.

Sorry friends, I'm not anti any dog. I'm just relating my story again and it happened to involve a certain breed. You all know I love all dogs, so please, please don't start up on me. I know for a fact, my neighbor is a lousy owner.

Oh, and I thought Tylenol was dangerous for dogs. I always used a buffered aspirin..aspirin coated with Maalox

I've been Boooo'd!

I am so sorry to hear about your Maltipoo. I know I certainly would be devastated if my dog was attacked, especially from such a large breed.

Personally, I think he should pay at the least half of the bill, especially if he wants to keep his Rottweiler. I wouldn't let him go home free and not have to pay or do a thing. I definitely suggest getting him to pay at least half. If he has issues with that then call Animal Control, but this man seemed to be really concerned.

And I agree with BC_MoM, he should take his Rottie to a behiavourlist. Maybe you could suggest that to him.

Someone gave me a head's up on this thread..wonder why... :rollseyes:

As most PTers have read this before, to make a long story short, 2 of my back neighbor's 3 Rotties dug and crawled like groundhogs under his ill mantained fence, and grabbed a puppy I was watching for a neighbor. I grabbed the puppy back (punctured wound on it's butt) and in the process, either fell or tripped. I'll leave out how I was miraculously saved (nobody around) but my left wrist/hand wound up in the one Rottie's jaws. This occurred April 5 in the privacy of my own fenced in yard. My dog was uninjured and I'm glad she didn't attempt to save me.

The Rotties had a doggie door, in and out 8-10 hours a day while the owners were out. One end of the fence had been boarded, but not where they came under, so owner had to know. I have had 2 surgeries, have 1/2 inch or more of my ulna missing in my wrist, tendon damage in my fingers, pain, and limited movement. More surgeries may be performed, but my choice is either no pain but less movement than I have now, or pain and more movement. I also have teeth marks in my calf, and had a chunk of hair pulled from my scalp.

You should have called Animal Control immediately. Personally, my neighbor never apologized, just called it an unfortunate accident (which has ruined my life). It should be put on record. They will research if it happened before. PA has a one bite dog law, so yes, he still owns them, but the lawyer and animal control are digging deep to investigate if this happened previously.
    By reporting the incident, you may be saving another dog and/or human life. Maybe your own children. Animal control will inspect his fence, fine him and possibly supenea him. What do you care if he likes you?

Before it gets too late, give him the vet bill. If he refuses to pay it, he's a scoundral. Remember, nothings been written down and documented.

Sorry friends, I'm not anti any dog. I'm just relating my story again and it happened to involve a certain breed. You all know I love all dogs, so please, please don't start up on me. I know for a fact, my neighbor is a lousy owner.

Oh, and I thought Tylenol was dangerous for dogs. I always used a buffered aspirin..aspirin coated with Maalox
    She makes a point. ^

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    You should never give your dog aspirin. I'm very surprised that the doctor told you to do so. It can cause stomach ulcers. He should be on Buprenorphine or something.
    My parents 12 year old GSD mix gets Buffered Asprin everyday for arthis.

First off, Welcome to PT!
    I wish Casper a speedy recovery and pray for a FULL recovery.

In my opinion, Yes small dogs trigger prey drive, It would just be natural for something that small to look like a varmint to a dog with a high prey drive.

YES he should pay the entire bill.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

If my dogs injured another dog or person, I would INSIST on paying the whole bill, even if I went into serious credit card debt for it (which I would!) IMO, he should offer to do the same.

Wishing your pup a speedy recovery.

So very sorry to hear about what happened to Casper. I hope he's feeling better soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thandi
    If my dogs injured another dog or person, I would INSIST on paying the whole bill
    I totally agree. I also had a rottie who didn't like other dogs and if this would have happened to us I would definitely be paying the bill. Hope he offers to do the same.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Poor Casper, and your kids. They must be in shock too, after such a frightening experience. I know dogs get loose by accident (I lost one who got hit after getting out by accident.) and the rotti's owner did seem very concerned. Yes, the owner should pay for all the vet bills - you are legally responsible for anything your animal does if it's loose, even by accident. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best.

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Phew, I'm glad your pup is OK. What I would do is kindly point out that the vet bills will be expensive, and that perhaps he should pay at least half ( all if you are a good haggler ) of the bills. If he decilnes reimbursement, I would mention that certain laws say that uncontrolled aggresive dogs should be put down, or trained, or at least ( the owners ) be responsible. Sometimes laws require that the attacker's owner pay for damages. If he continually refuses, point out that you *might go to animal control. If this doesn't change his mind, go to animal control. Ask them for further sueing/court matters, ( as I do not know what area you reside in )

Wishing you the best.

Happy healing.

P.S. In my opinion, small dogs ( and cats ) sometimes trigger the prey drive. My greyhound X has gone after Toy breeds (and cats )with that *look in her eyes.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Collie

the police told me that as far as they knew there were no other attacks. OK...so I said no, don't destroy him. Three weeks later this fluffy Old English Sheepdog violently attacked a 7 year old boy who lived 2 streets over from me, breaking the boys arm as he ripped his skin and muscle tissue as he dragged the boy across the street into a neighbors yard. I felt and still feel terribly guilty about this boy being injured to this day and this was many years ago.
    Wow! If ever there was a reason to consider reporting what happened to Animal Control this would be it. Love that Collie makes a good point.

Personally I would ask for 100% reimbursement for any veterinary bills. After all, if this attack had not happened your dog would have not needed to see the vet, pure and simple. Good luck and I hope little Casper will recover completely.

I am sorry your little one was hurt - hope both the furkid and non furkid get over this horrible experience quickly.

Sounds to me like the Rottie's owner is a decent guy - his dog obviously responds to his command. I hope he learns from this to keep his fences dog-proof in the future
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

So very sorry to hear Casper was attacked, and that your child(ren) were there to witness it. How very scary for all.

I would ask for consideration on all of the bills. And, I would **not** report this to AC. Accidents do happen. And, the guy seemed generally concerned.

And, it was coincidental...last night , I saw two younger children- maybe 8 - 10 ish, walking their little dauschaund. I thought to myself, "wow, I am not sure I would let such youngsters walk a dog, alone. Not only cause of attacks, but, also cause of the great disparity between the child's strenght, and the puppy dog. Kids sometimes just don't realize the appropriateness of their corrective actions.

Accident??? No, this was not an accident.
    An accident is if the Rottwieller would have stepped on Casper or
    have ran into him because he didn't see him.
    This was an attack, no accident.
    Boy, I sure do hope no other accidents like this happen again with this dog.

I'm sorry this happened to your pup. I hope your pup has a speedy recovery!
    The owner of the Rotti seems like a very responsible guy and he sounded like he cared about the situation. I think he should pay for the vet bills since it was his dog. My RB Dalmatian was dog aggressive and she attacked our neighbors dog and we payed to the neighbors dogs stitches and vet bills, since it was our fault.

Would a large breed such as a Rottweiler see a smaller breed such as our Maltipoo as an easy kill? Should I expect that attacks like this are probable in the future due to this large size difference between our dog and the majority of dog breeds?
    Depends on the breed and the dog. Some breeds have a high prey drive and will go after small dogs. My Kodie is a Rottweiler mix and is so friendly with other dogs of any size. Most of his buddies are small breeds like yours. Don't automatically assume that every large dog will attack your pup. Accidents do happen.
    Last edited by sammy101; 09-29-2006 at 10:40 PM.