View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of a joke thread?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

148 86.05%
  • No

24 13.95%
Page 12 of 86 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: joke thread

Former User Guest
    Every now and then we are all pestered by these high-tech telemarketing
    companies where the sales pitch is usually disguised as a survey of some kind.
    The despicable thing about these things is that they won't leave you
    alone. If you hang up, they will just call back again.

One day my wife got a call from one of these computer systems, and her
    answering machine answered. The conversation that followed was
    hilarious, as it consisted of two machines talking to each other
    without having the slightest idea about what each other was saying.
    The conversation wound up in an endless loop, as follows:

[PHONE] *RING*

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "...At the tone, please give your message.
    BEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Hello. This is [company_name], and we are taking a telephone
    survey ... when I ask a question, wait for the beep, then please
    speak plainly. I will repeat your answer back to you, and verify it.
    First, what is your phone number? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

(The answering machine, upon hearing the beep, got confused and thought

it was a play-back command, and generated another beep in response.)

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! Your phone number was 443-28347-47756-377764-22222.
    Is that correct? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! Do you have any children? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] Thank you! What is the age of your first child? BEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Your first child is 1,222 years old. Is that correct?
    BEEEEEP."

[--------------- BEGIN ENDLESS LOOP ----------------]

[PHONE] "Thank you! Do you have any more children? BEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! What is this child's age? BEEEP."

[PHONE] "This child is 4,233 years old. Is that correct? BEEEEP."

[---------------------END LOOP -----------------------]

My wife, upon noticing that the answering machine had been going for
    over half an hour, turned up the volume to find out what was going on.
    When she discovered this endless loop (by now she had over 200 children,
    all over 1,000 years old), she switched off the answering machine. The
    computer never called again.

Former User Guest
    Two elderly women were out driving in a large car-both could barely
    see over the dashboard. As they were cruising along they came
    to an intersection.

The stoplight was red but they just went on through. The woman
    in the passenger seat thought to herself "I must be losing it, I could
    have sworn we just went through a red light".

After a few more minutes they came to another intersection and the
    light was red again and again they went right though. This time the
    woman in the passenger seat was almost sure that the light had
    been red but was really concerned that she was losing it. She was
    getting nervous and decided to pay very close attention to the road
    and the next intersection to see what was going on.

At the next intersection, sure enough, the light was
    definitely red and they went right through and she turned to the
    other woman and said, "Mildred! Did you know we just ran through
    three red lights in a row! You could have killed us!

Mildred turned to her and said "Oh, am I driving?"

Here are the first chapters of:

Rules for Cats Who Have to Run a House
    Compiled by Harold Reynolds and updated on December 6, 1994

1. Introduction

The following is a manual of guidelines for the busy cat(s) who will have a house to manage after adopting one or more humans. It is, of course, impossible to cover all possible situations, as those humans are always up to some sort of mischief, but the compiler and contributors to this guide have endeavoured to cover as wide a variety of topics as possible. It is important that this document be kept out of the hands of humans, who will undoubtedly find a way to use it to their advantage.

2. Food

In order to get the energy to sleep, play, and hamper, a cat must eat. Eating, however, is only half the fun. The other half is getting the food. Cats have two ways to obtain food: convincing a human you are starving to death and must be fed now; and hunting for it oneself. The following are some guidelines for getting fed.

a) When the humans are eating, make sure you leave the tip of your tail in their dishes when they are not looking.

b) Never eat food from your own bowl if you can steal some from the table.

c) Never drink from your own water bowl if a human's glass is full enough to drink from.

d) The best times to inform humans of your dish's emptiness are when they are unable to ignore you, such as when they are sleeping or on the toilet. If you insist on waking a human at what it considers a "ridiculously early hour" for breakfast, be warned that the human may be as likely to throw you outside or in the basement as to feed you.

e) Should you catch something of your own outside, it is only polite to attempt to get to know it. Be insistent; your food will usually not be so polite and try to leave. If you can't be bothered to eat the food you've just caught, be considerate and don't waste it; it makes a perfect gift for humans! Carefully pick it up and carry it to the human's house and, if the door is closed, leave it on the doorstep. If the door is open, or there is a cat-flap, take it inside and leave it somewhere highly visible. The gift will be even more welcome if it is still alive! Live birds and mice make the best gifts as humans love a good game of chase just as much as you do, although be careful not to help them; it's their gift after all.

f) Table scraps are delicacies with which the humans are unfortunately unwilling to readily part. It is beneath the Dignity of a cat to beg outright for food as lower forms of life such as dogs will, but several techniques exist for ensuring that the humans don't forget you exist. These include, but are not limited to: jumping onto the lap of the "softest" human and purring loudly; lying down in the doorway between the dining room and the kitchen, the Direct Stare, and twining around people's legs as they sit and eat while meowing plaintively.

g) Coffee is known to be rejuvenating for both cats and humans. Whenever a human sets a cup of coffee on the floor within your reach, s/he is showing you great respect and worship. Softly blow the divine liquid until cool (you may even put your paw in it to make sure the temperature is just right) and then daintily drink it.

h) Occasionally there will be disagreements over what you and the humans will deem as edible. The appropriate action, should the stuff in question be too repulsive to ignore, is to bury it. Scratch at the floor and try to drag over objects to cover the offending item. This informs the ignorant human that it really belongs in the litter box.

2.1 Catnip

Most cats think that this strange-looking plant is Food of the Gods and better even than tuna. There are some, however, who are sadly deprived of the ability to enjoy this wonderful treat and will look upon the others with a mixture of confusion and disgust at the utter lack of Dignity of those partaking. If you are one of the latter, please skip to the next section.

Catnip is available in two forms, in the wild as an odd-looking plant that grows in delightfully fragrant, though often rather flattened, patches, and from the humans in a concentrated dried form. Unfortunately, the humans know of our weakness for catnip and will try to hold it out from us, often employing some very ingenious methods to do so. If the humans are careless enough to leave any catnip within reach, it is imperative to get it no matter what you have to tear apart to do so. Otherwise the humans will use it to attempt to coerce us to do things which would otherwise be beneath us.

The greatest hazard of catnip is that it causes those cats under its influence to utterly lose their Dignity. They roll around foolishly, purr at maximum volume, tear around the house at top speed, and do other things no sane cat would be caught doing. Do attempt to control yourself, especially if your humans have a "video camera" and are prone to using it.

3. Water

Water (also known as Cat Solvent) would be really great if it wasn't so wet! Dripping taps are the best sources of fresh water in the whole house. Toilets are the next best (but the water inside must be colorless and contain nothing!) Therefore it is imperative that any sound of running water be immediately investigated in case a free drink may be obtained. The bathtub is the best place to lurk in the bathroom when a human is present. A plaintive meow or two and perhaps hopefully licking the faucet usually will get most humans to turn on the tap for you. If the bathroom door is closed, demand entry noisily (see Doors). The water dish is to be used only as a last resort in case the humans leave the toilet lid down and the tub and sink are dry.

If a human has a sufficiently wide-mouthed glassful of liquid, immediately stick your face into the glass. If the opening is too narrow, dip your paw into the liquid, swirl it around, and give it the taste test. You may be pleasantly surprised to find beer or even milk! In any case, if the liquid is good, continue to sample, but only while your human is distracted. Some of the best water is ornamented with those cold, hard buoyant cubes that bob up and down in the liquid when pressed lightly. If your human protests, lick the condensation on the outside of the glass.

... to be continued.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

LOL everyone.

Former User Guest
    A guest at a posh hotel called over the headwaiter one morning in the breakfast room.
    The waiter gave him a cheerful smile and said, "Good morning, Sir! How can I help you?"
    The guest replied, "What a wonderful morning it is! I'd like two boiled eggs, one of them so undercooked that it's runny and the other so overcooked that it's tough and hard to eat. Also, I want some grilled bacon that's been left out so it gets a bit on the cold side; burnt toast that crumbles away when you touch it with a knife; some butter straight from the freezer so that it's impossible to spread; and a pot of weak, lukewarm coffee, please." "Why, I'm sorry, Sir," the waiter replied, "but we cannot do that for you!"

"Oh, really?" The guest replied. "But that's exactly what I got yesterday!"

Former User Guest
    LOL, does this cat have (c)attitude or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh my! . . . Bad kitty!

The manager of a large office asked a new employee to come into his office. "What is your name?," was the first thing the manager asked. "John," the new guy replied. The manager scowled. "Look, I don't know what kind of a namby-pamby place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by their first name! It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority," he said. "I refer to my employees by their last name only - Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all. Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?" The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling." The manager said, "Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you..."

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Sleeping!

Rules for cats ..... continued

4. Sleeping

As mentioned above, in order to have enough energy for playing, a cat must get plenty of sleep. It is generally not difficult to find a comfortable place to curl up. Any place a human likes to sit is good, especially if it contrasts with your fur colour. If it's in a sunbeam or near a heating duct or radiator, so much the better. Of course, good places also exist outdoors, but have the disadvantages of being seasonal and dependent on current and previous weather conditions such as rain. Open windows are a good compromise.

A) Snoring is not a talent unique to humans; if the cat is sharing a bed with two humans, the well skilled cat can cause one of the humans to be blamed/swatted/smacked for the deed by the other.

B) If your humans don't let you into the bedroom at night, make them suffer for it. Even if they give you a nice warm room of your own to sleep in at night, with a catflap to the outside world, that just isn't good enough. There are several ways of registering your disapproval.

a) Trash the room they give you to sleep in. After all, the humans don't sleep in it, so why should you?

b) Fight noisily with other cats in the neighbourhood, just outside their bedroom window. Make sure that you appear in the morning with as many fresh scars as possible. Spend some time perfecting an aggrieved "Well, I wouldn't have all these injuries if you only let me sleep in the bedroom at night" expression.

c) When they finally rise and take a shower or a bath, locate the appropriate drain pipe and yowl up it. That amplified and disembodied "Meow" is sure to surprise them, as is the length of time you can do this without getting hoarse.

d) When they finally come downstairs, and call for you, refuse to use the catflap to enter the house. There's a perfectly good front door they can open. Of course, if they should anticipate you by opening the front door and calling, ignore them. You should only appear by the front door and yowl once they've closed it again.

..... to be continued tomorrow

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

I haven't read all the pages of this thread...hope this isn't already here...
    "Through the eyes of Little Folk"

It was the end of the day when I parked my police van in
    front of the
    station. As I gathered my equipment, my K-9 partner, Jake, was barking,
    and I saw a little boy staring in at me. "Is that a dog you got back
    there?" he asked. "It sure is," I replied. Puzzled, the boy looked at me
    and then towards the back of the van. Finally he said, "What'd he do
    wrong?"

Another cartoon!

Former User Guest

Funny signs part 2

In a Bucharest hotel lobby:
    The lift is being fixed for the next day. During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.

In a Leipzig hotel elevator:
    Do not enter the lift backwards, and only when lit up.

In a Belgrade hotel elevator:
    To move the cabin, push button for wishing floor. If the cabin should enter more persons, each one should press number of wishing floor. Driving is then going alphabetically by national order.

In a Paris hotel elevator:
    Please leave your values at the front desk.

In a hotel in Athens:
    Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 and 11 A.M. daily.

In a Japanese hotel:
    You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.

In the lobby of a Moscow hotel across from a Russian Orthodox monastery:
    You are welcome to visit the cemetary where famous Russian and Soviet composers,
    artists, and writers are buried daily except Thursday.

In an Austrian hotel catering to skiers:
    Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascension.

On the menu of a Swiss restaurant:
    Our wines leave you nothing to hope for.

In a Honk Kong supermarket:
    For your convenience, we recommend courteous, efficient self-service.

Outside a Hong Kong tailor shop:
    Ladies may have a fit upstairs.

In a Rhodes tailor shop:
    Order your summers suit. Because is big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.

In a Vienna hotel:
    In case of fire, do your utmost to alarm the hotel porter.

A sign posted in Germany's Black Forest:
    It is strictly forbidden on our black forest camping site that people of different sex, for instance, men and women, live together in one tent unless they are married with each other for that purpose.

In a Zurich hotel:
    Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the
    bedroom, it suggested that the lobby be used for this purpose.

In an advertisement by a Hong Kong dentist:
    Teeth extracted by the latest Methodists.

A translated sentence from a Russian chess book:
    A lot of water has been passed under the bridge since this variation has been played.

Former User Guest
    Garfield is my all time fave comic, here's 2 I like very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images