Thread: Mast Cell Tumor - Cancer

Mast Cell Tumor - Cancer

What does anyone know about it? My Carly just had a small tumor taken off her leg last week and it was diagnosed as a Mast Cell Tumor. I'm doing some research now.

Thanks.

Robin

My Paxil has had two bouts with Mast Cell Cancer. She's 10 now and doing just fine.

How old is your dog and what breed is she? Boxers are particularly prone to more aggressive Mast Cell tumors.

Was the surgeon able to get 2cm of clean tissue on all sides of the tumor? The first time Paxil had one removed, they weren't able to do that. It was back in under a year and in 3 spots. All of those were removed with clean margins and so far no reoccurances. Mast cell tumors, as my vet puts it, get "ticked off" once they are touched. So any cells left behind will be likely to reoccur.

What was the tumor graded at? Grade one Mast Cell is relatively benign. Removing the tumor is usually all that is needed. Grade 3 means the cancer has invaded other tissue and the prognosis isn't great. Grade 2, which is what Paxil has, is the most unpredictable. Additional treatment may be needed to ensure it doesn't come back, if it's available in your area. Where I live there is no access to radation or other cancer treatments(even humans with cancer have to travel to get treatment).

Generally speaking, if your vet got clean margins around the tumor, your dog should be fine. Good luck!

My boxer had a mast cell Grade II removed from her neck at 2-1/2 yearas old. Her 6th birthday is tomorrow and she has never had a reoccurance so far. Glacier gave some good information. Hope everything turns out okay!

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by robinh
    What does anyone know about it? My Carly just had a small tumor taken off her leg last week and it was diagnosed as a Mast Cell Tumor. I'm doing some research now.

Thanks.

Robin
    Surgery is the first and best option. If the pathology report indicates good clean margins then the prognosis is good. If the margins are questionable, follow up radiation can be used at the site to clean up the margins.

Here's a link that dives into some details.

In depth MCT discussion

One of the questions you can ask the Vet is whether the cytology shows well differeniated cells. A well differeniated cancer cell (of any type) sort of knows what it wants to do in life. An undiffereniated one mutates randomly and has a higher potential for metastasis. If the cells were well differeniated then that's a positive sign.

Most of the problems with mast cell is that it's not always caught early. The owner and/or Vet pass off the growth as something else, and then it spreads. As others are relating if caught early, surgery will usually get rid of it.

Once MCT spreads Chemo yields poor results in Stage IV. There have been good results in Stage II/III post surgery with Vinblastine+ Prednisone Chemotherapy. Also Lomustine has been used when it has spread to the GI tract- with a poorer outcome. Best treatment to make the dog feel better after metastasis has occured is anti-histamines, as even cancerous mast cells will remain true to their nature and release large amounts of histamine. Also given the combination of histamine release and Prednisone acid blockers would come into play.

But again hopefully you caught it early and with surgery and clean margins you are in the clear.

Sorry to hear of Carly's condition. Though i can't help you w/ medical info. i want you to know Carly is in my prayers...
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Carly is an 8 year old GSD mix. She is my gentle girl who puts up with the littles with a great deal of grace.

It was a Grade II tumor. He wasn't able to get 2 cm outside the tumor because of where it was on her leg, but the report showed clear margins.

We are taking a wait and see attitude right now. She is still having problems with the sedation a week afterwards. She doesn't get rid of it like a normal dog, so she was drugged for a couple of days and still is having trouble with appetite. Poor baby.

Thanks for the information, I'll definitely check it out. And thanks for the prayers. I'm a firm believer that they will help tremendously.

Bear had a Grade II removed from his abdomen area about 4 years ago. they got 2 cm clean margin around all of it but one small area there just wasn't enough room. We took the wait and see attitute as well and so far no reoccurances although a few scares (he's prone to fatty cysts)