Thread: Does my poodle have mental problems?

Does my poodle have mental problems?

Believe it or not---my little girl is scared to death of anything round. A can of green beans, a bottle, a roll of toilet paper, etc. She's fine if the object is sitting up, but if it's turned on it's side where she can see the round shape, she backs away and growels and barks at it.

She's the smartest dog I've ever owned, but this behavior is not smart .

Her first owner wasn't very nice to her. I caught her holding the poodle over the open washing machine a couple of times when she was a little puppy, just to scare her. Maybe this is why she's scared of round objects...?

No, your dog is NOT mental.

She just has a fear issue(s). My guess is maybe things that rolled used to be thrown at her, or something along those lines.

This is not something that will majorly affect her, unless she sees these round objects.

Honestly, when something Molly is afraid of, I watch and laugh. She tries to confront it, but never does and just jumps in circles around it barking and growling.

Maybe someone else will be able to give you advice on how to help her overcome her fear.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

You should introduce her fears to her slowly. Hold up something she's afraid of to her and pet her to let her know that everythings ok. Maybe that will help. I hope so. i wouldn't call it a mental problem. Just a phobia.
    Last edited by sumbirdy; 09-21-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Hey welcome to the poodle club!
    Jakey my lil boy was mistreated and hit before he came to us,and he can jump at his own shadow!...all i can say is TIME..
    I dont know how long you have had your little girl but the more she grows and bonds with you and most importantly trust (unconditionaly) you you will see a more stronger more rounder 'poog'...I would be lying to you if i said that her fears or issues will go completley but with paitence and like other have said showing her 'that mommy will go up to the big bad thing' making it less frightening to her..your little girl can become... 'super poog!'

Welcome! It's always nice to see another poodle mom on the board. I don't have any suggestions other than just love and reassurance. My daughter's first Swissie was afraid of empty milk cartons. She had him from eight weeks of age so there was no possible prior bad treatment. Dogs, like people, come with their own built-in idiosyncracies. My co-worker adopted two sheltie puppies from the same litter back in May. She says these two little boys are totally different from each other. One is a scaredy and one is a daredevil. Just enjoy your little one and, oh by the way, may we see some pictures? Pretty please.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sumbirdy, I've done what you suggested for months. It works at the time, while I'm holding her, but it doesn't last . I guess it's nothing to be concerned about. Hubby says she just does it for attention because she knows it's cute . He might be right because she's spoiled rotten.

It is so cute to see her growl and bark at something . She lays down and puts her little fanny up in the air, or she'll run to me and I'll hold her while she barks. Omg. She's the most precious little thing.

Pam, I'd love to post some pics of her, but I don't have a scanner, and even if I did, I don't know how to use it . My friend's digital camera is here, but I don't know how to use it, either. She's going to show me how (soon I hope) and I'll post some.

Quote Originally Posted by poodleempire
    Hey welcome to the poodle club!
    Jakey my lil boy was mistreated and hit before he came to us,and he can jump at his own shadow!...all i can say is TIME..
    I dont know how long you have had your little girl but the more she grows and bonds with you and most importantly trust (unconditionaly) you you will see a more stronger more rounder 'poog'...I would be lying to you if i said that her fears or issues will go completley but with paitence and like other have said showing her 'that mommy will go up to the big bad thing' making it less frightening to her..your little girl can become... 'super poog!'
    Awww. Too bad about your Jakey . I'm glad he's no longer in that situation.

My poodle is totally bonded with me, but I still can't get her to get used to round things. Maybe she'll grow out of it.

poor baby!!

your poodle is no more mental than you or i . she has fear issues that in time and a lot of TLC she will get over it. when i first got my poodle the man that had her kept her in a kennel atleast 18 hrs a day. she didnt know what toys were chew bones just life in general. he was getting rid of her due to the fact that he said she was tooooo loving now tell me how stupid that is.he was a single man that works for a very good company but apparently didnt have common sense. he had got a tiny toy male and a miniture girl from a pet store and paid really good money for them. he had them for the first 4 months of their life. those first few months make an impression on them i still have a problem with toys etc its really a slow process. hang in there and things will work out. have faith and lots of love.

MY POODLE,Thanks for your comment about Jakey,but no need to worry now..he has found his family and he and our little girl Daisy are loved to the end of the earth and back.I agree with what Pam said all poodles come with their own personalities and that is what we love them for..the clowns,the drama queens/kings ,the shy ones,the extroverts,the list is endless,but which ever happens to share your home and your heart,life is never and will never be dull with one or more of them around.I wish you and your little girl many years of such joy .
    Quote Originally Posted by mypoodle
    Awww. Too bad about your Jakey . I'm glad he's no longer in that situation.

My poodle is totally bonded with me, but I still can't get her to get used to round things. Maybe she'll grow out of it.

Welcome to a fellow poodle owner.

Sounds like when she was a pup she was abused or frightend by something of similar shape. If you really want her to overcome her fear, then try this.
    When she acts unsure or frightened, NEVER comfort her! This will only reinforce her fear. Dogs do not think the way we do, they do not need to be comforted in time of fear, they need reassurance in the form of leadership. Put something she fears on the ground. Hook her up to the leash and walk up to the object with confidence. Your dog will pick up on your energy and will hopefully realize she has nothing to fear. Walk up to the object several times until she stops acting fearful. It may take a few weeks of practice, but it should make her more confident around those objects.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*