Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog doesn't poopy

My dog doesn't poopy

Well we brought him home and he won't poop and its now the 3rd day. The owner of the shelter says his butt is raw because he doesn't rubb his butt on the ground when his done. Is he sick or do I need to put some medicine on his butt.

Anytime you get a new dog, you should take them to the vet right away for a check up. I would do that right away and have the vet check his poor butt! Shelters don't usually take the dogs to the vet. My dogs don't wipe their butts on the ground unless they have issues with their anal glands Maybe he was wiping his butt on the ground and has an infection. Let us know what your vet says.

Take your dog to the vet. He could, and probably does, have worms, and a possible impaction. His butt should not be raw and he should NOT be rubbing it on the ground after he poops. The shelter person is incorrect.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

The dog has had all his shots though.

Your dog still could have worms because shots don't kill worms. You need to take your dog to the vet.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

3 days is too long for them not to go and who knows how long it's really been if you just got him. He could have been constipated for much longer by now and you not know. Take him to the vet ASAP!

doesnt matter if he has had all his shots, take him to the vet anyway! Have you heard the story about Gentle Giants? they said their vets took care of all their dogs...nope never did! anytime you get a new pet you should take them to the vet for just a regular check up even if their vac. are all current! Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

DEFINITELY take him to YOUR vet ASAP.

My grandparents dog did not poop for a week once and it turned out she had a blockage and died.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

The owner of the shelter where you got your dog from is incorrect about that.Dogs shouldnt rub their bums on the ground after their done, and his bum shouldnt be raw. Your dog needs to go to the Vet asap!Doesnt matter if he has his shots,he could have a blockage or worms.

Ditto what everyone else said. Go to the vet, if he rubs his butt on the ground that is BAD and indicated another problem, and he could have worms even if he has his shots.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

He's been dewormed once

He needs to go see a vet!!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Yes please get him to a vet! I know I am only reiterating what everyone else said, but this is so important! I can't believe the shelter person told you that he should be rubbing his butt, that was not good advice at all. Get him in to the vet ASAP! Please let us know how it goes! Good luck!

I'm telling my mom to take him to a vet, but she won't listen

Sorry, there is no answer, your dog needs to see the vet. He could have a rectal mass, intestinal mass, blockage, or a huge infestation of worms and/or dead worms blocking his anal opening. Dogs should NOT rub their butts and if he keeps not going to the bathroom he's going to die, I am not exaggerating.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008