Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you send us some good thoughts tonight? - Updated -

Good vibes and prayers being sent for our pewter beauty!

All paws crossed for your little grey beauty.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nakita is having health problems. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

So what did the vet say????

Alls paws and fingers crossed.

I only just saw this. Hope the vet found the reason and sweet Nakita is feeling better now, she is such a wonderful girl.

Sending good wishes and scritchies to Nakita and hugs to you.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sending sweet Meezer songs to the exquisite Nakita.
    Put your troubles behind you, your mommy is worrying.

Thanks everyone for your support. Yesterday I was really feeling on edge for a few reasons, including the vet visit.

I should first give you some background. When Nakita first started to 'itch' I went to my regular vet who said it could be fleas or food allergy. After observing Nakita for a few months I knew myself this was not the case so I started to research on the internet to find out more info. In the meantime, I went to 4 other vets but no solution. After researching more myself, I determined that Nakita was exhibiting symptoms similar to Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome (FHS). I went back to one of the vets with my findings and the first thing that vet said was to place her on Phenobarbitol. I'm always reluctant to use pills as the 'first' way to handle things with myself or my cats. So I didn't feel comfortable going with a vet that would prescribe a drug after doing no tests.

I kept a journal with Nakita's symptoms and realized that her symptoms were not in line with seizures at all. FHS can be either neurological or behavioural. So in the meantime I've been trying to increase her mental stimulation and on the advice of a vet, even add a new kitten to the household - hence Phoenix.

Starting last February, Nakita threw up a *huge* hairball. She had never thrown up a hairball since we had her so you can imagine how long this one was collecting in her stomach! A week or so after the hairball, she started to throw up - every day, only between 3am - 6am. She would throw up only a tablespoon of white foamy liquid. So we take her back to the vet. New food trial, tried hairball gel, tried Pepcid-AC since they thought she had too much acid. Nothing has worked. On top of this, Nakita also started scratching - her ears and licking feet. Typical symptoms of food allergy. All these trials take awhile but we're still back to square one.

So, we are sticking with one vet and starting over again. The vet is concerned about the morning vomiting sessions, as am I. It has been going on so long (FHS, itching, throwing up) technically it could all be interconnected at this point and it's a learned behaviour cycle. I am very glad this vet does not want to prescribe Phenobarbitol as a first step. It's really a relief on my part since every vet was so ready to throw a drug into Nakita rather than look at the underlying problems

We're starting on a food trial again. In the past, this has been extremely hard since Nakita is really fussy with her food and wouldn't eat it. She weighed in at 4.8 pounds last night so nutrition is paramount for her and I can't have her skip meals. I even tried wet food, which she ate for 1 month and then refused to have it again. BUT, she actually ate the prescription food last night. Amazing, since she refused it before.

After 6-8 weeks we will see how she is and if her 'allergy' type itching has improved. Her vomiting might even clear up if that is linked. Depending on Nakita's symptoms at that point, we'll then look at a steroid shot to see if it may break a cycle for her and give her body a rest. If that doesn't work, we might go to an anti-anxiety medication. But first, we have to see how each step affects Nakita.

So, that's it on my end. I'm just happy that we're on a course of action with a vet I trust. So many vets would barely listen to me and have me walking out the door in 2 seconds with a prescription for Phenobarbitol. These last 6 months have been so hard on all of us and after all the vet visits $$$ we saw no results. Hopefully this time will be different.

And hopefully Phoenix will be able to help Nakita along as well with feline partnership - that's if Nakita will stop hissing and start hugging. That's been a headache on its own and that's why I've been so worried about these two because of Nakita's medical background.

Again, thanks so much for all your support! It was a rough day yesterday and I just needed some support.

I am glad to hear that this vet was helpful and concerned, and that he took the time to listen and come up with a plan. I know you were worried. A good meowmie.

I am also following the progress of Nakita & Phoenix and honestly, it sounds like it is going purrfectly

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu
    Is there a back up plan if Phoenix turns out to be causing Nakitas problems?
    Gary, Nakita's problems started way before Phoenix came here. But the rescue organization knows why I was adding a new cat to the household and said I can return Phoenix if things get worse for Nakita. The vet suggested I try adding a feline companion to see if Nakita's problems might clear up because they seem to be behavioural.

I'm updating the rescue with emails during this introduction period.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I had to look up this disorder, and found this symptom list: Symptoms of FHS:

Dilated pupils
    Twitching of the tail
    Appearing to be annoyed with the tail
    Biting at the tip of the tail, sometimes to the point of mutilation
    Behavior may change from loving, to scared and depressed
    Sensitive to touch around the tail
    Staring into space
    Persistent, loud meowing
    Dashing off madly and aimlessly around the house or yard
    Rippling skin on the back just above the tail

More info: http://www.purelypets.com/articles/f...eresthesia.htm
    Each case of hyperesthesia is unique but it's usually either neurological (ie-seizures) or behavioural. In Nakita's case, I'm almost certain it's not seizures but could be a behavioural response we need to work through. And it would make sense since this started when I returned back to work.

Nakita 's only symptoms are rippling skin and dashing off across the house as if she is shocked or bitten and then she grooms her hind legs for a minute. She doesn't exhibit any of the other symptoms noted above, thank goodness!

Thanks for the update. I hope you find a solution for Nakita. She is very lucky having such a good mom

I'm glad that you found a vet that you can trust. Hopefully the new food will help her and that she'll continue to eat it. More good vibes are being sent your way. Please continue to keep us updated about her.

How odd

Well, this is a new one for me.

I am an advocate of medicating pets for short terms. Sometimes cats need to relearn habits and relax and get over the old ones. Amitriptyline works wonders............ and is easly administered if compounded into a cream for the ear.

I should use it on my own ears some days, here at the office.

Good luck with the new food.

Right now Miley et al are eating Science Diet Hypoallergetic and it is $44.50 per 10 lb. bag! Miley was just given some new meds that are to help bring her natural flora in her intestines, back in to fighting shape. She will be on the med for a month. None of the other cats are taking the meds but they are eating the food and liking it!

Fingers crossed for your girls.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amitriptyline.html

[QUOTE=sasvermont]
    Right now Miley et al are eating Science Diet Hypoallergetic and it is $44.50 per 10 lb. bag!

[QUOTE]
    WW
    I bet they are loving it!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..