Thread: Dog attacks other dogs

Dog attacks other dogs

We have some friends who have a 4 year old Golden Retriever named Bo. They also have an older German Shepard and a small lap dog. Bo gets along great with these other two dogs but they were already a part of the family when he came along. Bo will attack any other dog that he see's no matter if it's a boy or girl, puppy, big or small dog. It doesn't matter. We took Koa (our 3 1/2 month old lab) to Bo's house over the weekend and even though we kept them separated, Bo actually looked like he was stalking Koa. Once he thought Koa wasn't on the other side of the fence and ran in a beeline to Koa to eat him but then realized Koa was on the other side of the fence. His owner has taken him to training classes specifically for this problem but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? He's a sweet dog otherwise like his breed should be and I should mention that he has been neutered already and this has been a constant problem from the beginning. Thanks!
    Last edited by koas house; 09-17-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added more information

Unfortunately, some dogs are born dog aggressive. Others are not properly socialized and become dog aggressive. Either way, the golden is dog aggressive. This is not something that they can change. However, they can manage it. Solid obedience training, beginning with the basics and working towards doing it with other dogs around is a MUST. The dog must know the ins and outs of sit, down, stay, and heel. As long as they make sure that they don't bring him to a place where there will be loose dogs, or let him loose, then it will be okay. It is not acceptable to have the dog barking and lunging for other dogs either, obedience training will correct that too.

I'm not sure what class they go to, and other PTers might be able to help me out with links as I can't find any, but there are specific training places where they muzzle the dogs in a greyhound type muzzle and just socialize socialize socialize. They work with the dogs to try and turn the behavior around. I would NOT try that without a trained professional there. If interested I would do some research on that.
    Good luck!

What form of correction is used when Bo charges another dog? Is he on a leash in situations where the potential exists for conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by cobbrg
    What form of correction is used when Bo charges another dog? Is he on a leash in situations where the potential exists for conflict?

This is an important question, as the correction must come right when
    the unwanted action occurs.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt