Thread: Shadow hissing at Stormy ... HELP

Shadow hissing at Stormy ... HELP

Ok, I've been MIA for awhile, due to moving and then some major back problems, so I haven't been able to sit at a computer at home for more than a minute or two.

Anyways, about a halr hour ago, Shadow suddenly turned VERY aggressive towards Stormy. I have no idea what is going on, Stormy didn't do anything, he was about 3 feet away when Shadow first did this. I immediately scooped Shadow and checked him to see if he was hurting anywhere, which I see no signs of injury, and separated him for a time. I brought him out again and he did the same thing. He has even hissed and swatted at me. Does ANYONE have ANY idea what could be going on??????? Shadow is the alpha male, but normally *never* does this. He hasn't gotten outside, nor has Stormy, so they don't smell any different. Shadow does not appear to be in any pain or sick, so I'm totally confused. Shortly before this, he had been curled up in my arms sleeping while I was watching a movie. There is *no* reason for this!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm SO worried about my baby!!

Well...just some random thoughts on my part, cause I don't know...

1. Since your back problems (I hope you are feeling better!), have you been using any ointments that might make you and Shadow's whole environment smell different? Do you smell like you just came from the vet's office?

2. Might Shadow be coming down with something? Developing a URI?

3. How recent is the move? The furniture, litter boxes, food dishes, everything has been moved. Lots of changes in anything that Shadow thinks is 'his'.

4. Both boys are neutered, I assume.

I think the move is likely it...Shadow is still adjusting, and might want to assert his superiority even more for a while.

Lots of love - and Rescue Remedy or Feliway for a while, perhaps.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

No ointments at all, I've been on pain meds and getting cortisol shots in my back. I had back surgery in February that turned out to not be successful, so we're trying other treatments right now to just control the pain.

Shadow was just at the vets a week ago getting dental work done. They ran a check up on him, his yearly, and he's healthy as a horse. He's never been sick a day, so I doubt it's that.

The move was 2 months ago. Shadow has been actually MUCH more relaxed since we moved here, and is enjoying this home better. We've even added a litter box, so that there is less ... sharing going on.

This came from nowhere. One minute we were cuddling, then I was in the kitchen making dinner and Shadow was trying to attack Stormy. I actually brought him out on his harness because I was afraid he'd hurt the babies. When he gets like this, the only person who is safe to go near him is me, even my husband can't. Shadow has attempted to claw my dh tonight after all this.

I've used some rescue remedy and if that doesn't help, I'll do a couple drops of vanilla on each of them to make them both smell the same. That's worked in the past, maybe it will again.

The RR and vanilla sound like a good idea.

Even though you moved two months ago, he might have smelled something "new" .

Does he dislike his harness?

And your poor back! I know you are likely getting "helpful" advice from many people, but deep-sea Omega 3's(for pain) and Dong Quai(relaxant) can be very helpful

If you get it, go to a health store or elsewhere. If the stuff has a DIN number on it, then you know what is on the label is in the bottle! (Non-DIN stuff can say, for example, 500mg on the label - and have 200 - 1000 in the actual stuff!)

I REALLY hope you can heal up soon - and that the docs can figure something out! HUGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    The RR and vanilla sound like a good idea.

Even though you moved two months ago, he might have smelled something "new" .

Does he dislike his harness?

Good luck - give the furkids scritchies for me!
    Possibly. Fortunately, I know he's all "snarl" but no fight, so I'm not worried about leaving them alone tomorrow. It just worries me when he does this, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old & he's just the healthiest cat I've ever known.

No he loves his harness. He's been harnessed trained since he was a kitten, he goes for car rides & walks with it on, so to him, it's brings good memories. Heck, he'll bring it to me if he wants to go on the patio. I've never seen anything like it, except one other at, who'd bring me hers when she wanted to go for walks. We'd spend hours in the Edmonton river valley walking the trails, her & I.

The other odd thing today is he & Ebby have been trying to get into my office closet all day. I'm thinking I should open it for them to see what is going on with that.

Hmmm....something in the closet might have spooked them...interesting!

Hmmm....something in the closet might have spooked them...interesting!
    Do you think so? I looked in there and saw nothing, but they have been desperate to get in there. We're trying to *not* let them in the closets, but maybe I should make an exception and let them in? I'm just so worried, he's my baby. I know I shouldn't have favorites but after 7 years with him, two marriages & one divorce, it's hard not to.

Well - if the closet is dark, have a good lamp or flashlight ready, and open the door! They'll find what is so "interesting"!

They've got ME wondering! A secret cubbyhole with tuna-scented 100 dollar bills????

Oh, well, I can dream, can't I?

Well - if the closet is dark, have a good lamp or flashlight ready, and open the door! They'll find what is so "interesting"!

They've got ME wondering! A secret cubbyhole with tuna-scented 100 dollar bills????

Oh, well, I can dream, can't I?
    It's a "flat" closet (non walk in), so I'll just open the door and let them roam it tonight. Who knows, maybe it'll calm him down to know there's no monster in the closet. LOL

It'd be really nice if there was a secret cubbyhole stuffed with tuna-scented 100 dollar bills, although I don't know how I'd explain that to the bank (the tuna scent that is). LOL

You'd have to explain it kind of like 'the dog ate my homework', but with a feline twist thrown in!

Yes, they better go find out the monsters aren't really there!