Thread: "snipiness"

"snipiness"

When you read the breed standard of a lot of breeds it says "with no tendency towards snipiness" (usually talking about the muzzle). I thought it meant narrow but I've seen "narrow muzzle with no tendency towards snipiness."

What is "snipiness"?

I think its the lack of definite stop...but im not sure.

I would think it is the tendency to snip at folks.

Snippy: A pointed, weak muzzle, lacking breadth and depth

Google is your friend
    Glossary of dog terms

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

K9krazee got it. A breed's standard is really a poetic description of the "ideal" specimen. You cannot read it literally because being snippy literally means snapping at strangers, like how Karen interpreted it Of course, if you found the word "snippiness" in the behavior section, Karen would be correct.

Shiba Inu
    -Muzzle is firm, full, and round with a stronger lower jaw projecting from full cheeks.
    Example of good strong muzzle:

Snippy muzzle:

Very snippy muzzle and cheeks are not full:

THANK YOU! (thanks especially for the pics because they really are worth 1000 words)

Been reading a lot of breed standards lately to try to figure out what's in our newest mix (just out of curiosity). We'd had 20 years of purebreds before our two current shelter pups so it's fun thinking in those terms, even tho mixes obviously aren't going to meet ANY breed standard except their own!

A snipy muzzle is one that is "pinched." Basically it can start off normal but it narrows to a point and lacks underjaw. Visa's mother was a bit snipey.
    I've been BOO'd!

An example in my breed:
    http://www.thedca.org/IS/Page3.html
    The one that is labled "Muzzle not powerful" is an example of snipiness

Niņo & Eliza

Is snipiness relative to a given breed standard or would a snipy muzzle be a snipy muzzle anywhere? I mean, would it be possible for a normal greyhound-type muzzle to look "snipy" on a dalmation or would that muzzle have to look snipy on a greyhound too for it to be called "snipy" instead of just "too narrow"?

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by black and brindle
    Is snipiness relative to a given breed standard or would a snipy muzzle be a snipy muzzle anywhere? I mean, would it be possible for a normal greyhound-type muzzle to look "snipy" on a dalmation or would that muzzle have to look snipy on a greyhound too for it to be called "snipy" instead of just "too narrow"?

Just curious
    Snipey is a term that can be given to all breeds.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by black and brindle

Just curious
    You're right. A Greyhound muzzle on a Dalmatian would be considered snippy. However, on a Greyhound, it could be interpreted as a powerful muzzle. It does not have to look snippy on a Greyhound to look snippy on a Dalmatian. The term "snippy" muzzle pertains to whichever breed you're talking about.