Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a few questions about a few breeds

Have a few questions about a few breeds

I am looking for my next dog and am wondering about a few. The first is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. How much do they shed and do people with allergies have trouble around them? Do Pugs tend to run away? How do people react around them? Are they easy to train? How expensive are French Bulldogs and are they a burden to people with allergies? Are Mini Aussies a burden to people with allergies? How much excersize do they need and do they shed a lot? How big do they get? Do they require lots of training? How big do Border Collies get and how much training do they need? Are they easy to train? Are they a burden to people with allergies? If you feel those are not the right dogs, then please read my profile below and tell me what breed you suggest.

-I need a dog that is not a burden to people with allergies
    -I can handle grooming a long haired dogs
    -A dog that is no bigger than... 50 pounds would be great! Perferably a smaller dog, but a little bigger would be fine!
    -I need a dog that is rather easy to train, of course I have time to train him but don't want it to be too hard or frusterating.
    -I have plenty of time to excersize a dog. Lots of walks & a few play times in the backyard, along with frequent visits to the park and training.
    -I need a dog that gets along well with others

Thanks and I look forward to your help!
    Last edited by i_rescue; 09-09-2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: To ask about a couple more breeds

Quote Originally Posted by i_rescue
    I am looking for my next dog and am wondering about a few. The first is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. How much do they shed and do people with allergies have trouble around them? Do Pugs tend to run away? How do people react around them? Are they easy to train? How expensive are French Bulldogs and are they a burden to people with allergies? Are Mini Aussies a burden to people with allergies? How much excersize do they need and do they shed a lot? How big do they get? Do they require lots of training? How big do Border Collies get and how much training do they need? Are they easy to train? Are they a burden to people with allergies? If you feel those are not the right dogs, then please read my profile below and tell me what breed you suggest.

-A dog that is no bigger than... 50 pounds would be great! Perferably a smaller dog, but a little bigger would be fine!
    -I need a dog that is rather easy to train, of course I have time to train him but don't want it to be too hard or frusterating.
    -I have plenty of time to excersize a dog. Lots of walks & a few play times in the backyard, along with frequent visits to the park and training.

I don't think Staffies shed much but I'm not sure how people with allergies react around them. They're really friendly but need lots of training because an uncontrolled pittie in public... is... well... Uncontrolled Pittie + Public = Trouble. So make sure you have lots of time to train and have him under control in all places! I don't think pugs tend to run off if they're trained well. I don't think they are paticularlly easy to train but not really hard. Maybe a little over medium. I think you mean how do people with allergies react around them not how people react around them, and the answer to that is... well, I'm not really sure! But they shed a lot. Frenchies are rare so pretty expensive, a mimimual of $800, normally more. A good one will be around $2000. I think they shed quite a bit but still not sure if they are great dogs for people with allergies. Aussies need lots of excersize and quite a bit of training, but they're pretty easy to train. They get 1/2 the size of a normal Aussie. Border Collies come in quite a few sizes, a border can get as small as 40 pounds if kept under a well diet and lots of excersize. They don't shed too much but long haired borders require quite a bit of brushing. I think they're easy to train but need LOTS of training or will get out of line. Have you thought about a Greyhound? They can get as small as 40 pounds, just pick out a small one from a rescue I would suggest a retired greyhound. They're calm but need a calm household that does not have really loud voices or screaming and yelling. Never let a greyhound off lead in an unfenced area because no matter how well they are trained they will follow their eyes, they are sight hounds and that is what they are bred to do. Whippets & Italian Greyhounds are also awesome dogs and don't shed very much at all. But they scar easily and get very cold very easily. I would also suggest a Curly Coated Retriever but they get pretty big, a little bigger than labs, and they require LOTS of excersize. Vizslas are nice dogs that do not shed too much, but are very high drive and need an owner who can handle lots of training and give lots of time for excersize and swimming. APBT (American Pit Bull Terriers) are great dogs and they come in pretty small sizes. There are lots at the pound that have great personalities and are looking for a forever home. If anyone wants to add anything, feel free!

The first is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. How much do they shed and do people with allergies have trouble around them?
    It depends on how severe their allergies are. Pitties DO shed, so a person with dog allergies may be bothered by them.

This is true of all the following breeds as well.

Do Pugs tend to run away? How do people react around them? Are they easy to train? How expensive are French Bulldogs and are they a burden to people with allergies?
    Are Mini Aussies a burden to people with allergies? How much excersize do they need and do they shed a lot? How big do they get? Do they require lots of training?
    There is no such breed as a Mini Aussie. Aussies may vary in size, but it is not a breed. Like all herding breeds they need exercise, training and and a "job" - if you do not give them a job, they will create one - often a destructive one. The same is true with Border Collie - even maybe more so. Great dogs if you have plenty of time and energy and things for them to do - they are stars at agility, or herding, of course if you have anything for them to herd.

How big do Border Collies get and how much training do they need? Are they easy to train? Are they a burden to people with allergies? If you feel those are not the right dogs, then please read my profile below and tell me what breed you suggest.

A Standard poodle might be a good match for you, they have hair that needs trimming, not fur that sheds. They are recommended for people with dog allergies. They tend to be be bright and energetic, love to play, and are generally (there are exceptions) sweet dogs.

Just to clear things up, it has been said that people are most often allergic to pet DANDER and SALIVA. Therefore, no breed is guaranteed "hypo-allergenic". That's right. There is no "hypo-allergenic" dog breed. Unless the dog has no saliva and does not shed its skin and does not urinate, you're going to be hard pressed to find a dog that won't aggravate your allergies.

However, because dogs with curly hair and human-like hair tend to shed less, it is generally easier to keep up with the amount of dander that pollutes the enviornment. Many breeds besides the three Poodle varieties are often recommended for people with allergies including:

Terriers - Schnauzers (Mini, Standard, and Giant), Bedlington, Soft Coated Wheaten, and Kerry Blue
    Hairless breeds - Peruvian Inca Orchids, Chinese Cresteds (not the Powderpuff variety!), Xolocuintli (Mexican hairless), etc.
    Single-coated breeds - Italian Greyhounds
    "Human" hair breeds - Malteses
    Curly coated breeds - Bichon Frises, Irish Water Spaniel, Portugese Water Dog

Like Karen has already mentioned, there is obviously controversy surrounding "miniature Australian Shepherds". I am personally not a fan of "new" breeds and I'm certainly not a fan of any miniaturized breed. I only support new breeds that fill a niche in the dog world. In my eyes, a smaller Aussie is comparable to a Shetland Sheepdog. There is no niche to be filled.

Are you a first time dog owner? Terriers usually aren't recommended for inexperienced owners due to their tenacity, but Soft-Coated Wheatens are generally very easy going and rather easy to take care of. From your requirements, I would recommend around a Soft-Coated Wheaten the most.

I also wanted to add: An easily trained dog is a dog that thrives on attention and thirsts for knowledge. You will need to train this dog regularly and keep it busy with various activities and mind-games. While independant dogs are more difficult to train, they do not have the same drive to learn more. Some food for thought

Your last requirement can apply to any and every dog. It does not matter what breed the dog is. As long as you can provide proper training, any dog of any breed will blossom into a dog that will tolerate others. Good luck in your search for the perfect dog.

Please remember not to overlook the shelter dogs, too!

I am not sure about the allergies, but I have Vizslas and they fit the rest of you discription. They are very playful, but at the same time they will curl right up next to you. They are extremly smart and very friendly towards others. The weigh between 40-50 pounds depending on if you get a male or female. My little girl at the most weighs 40 pounds, but she is also small for a Vizsla. I would have to say that their worst trait is if you don't like dogs that want to cuddle and be next to you than don't get one. Hope this helps!!!!
    Alyssa owner of:
    Rosie - Vizsla
    Chaz- Cat

I'd suggest something with hair, not fur, if you have allergies.

I second Giselle's suggestion of a SCWT -- but be careful to find a good breeder.

First off, all of the breeds you mention shed. All of them will aggrevate allergies but safeguards can be put into place to minimize the effect.

Staffies are wonderful dogs but I might suggest before you even think about getting one, you look into BSL laws in your area and check with your insurance company. In almost all cases of BSL, staffies are included.

Yes, French Bulldogs are expensive. Besides all of the things that should be done before anyone breeds any dog of any breed - bulldogs usually require a ceserean section to deliver pups.

Mini Aussies - as mentioned above - are not a breed. They are someone's mad grab at money to be had from people who want what they want irregardless of well - you know where I am going with this.....

Border Collies can be very easy to train but.....they are herding dogs first and foremost. Without a job (or something that requires thought and movement) they can become aggressive and destructive. (Notice - I said CAN not WILL - it is dangerous to make generalizations about any breed.)

As for running away and ease of training for any of the breeds you mention - that depends entirely on you. As you know, and most anyone here will tell you, puppies don't come knowing obedience and boundries. You have to teach them these things.

What about a lab?

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    What about a lab?
    A Labrador is a definite no-go for allergy sufferers. I do believe they shed skin cells every few days vs. the every few weeks of a Poodle or like breed. As well, they shed like the devil. I would go so far to say that they are among the worst shedders.

A pug is a definate no-go also. Pugs shed more than any other breed for their size. You pick up a pug and your shirt looks like it was made of dog hair. A pug shakes off in the house and the floor is covered. The tiny, rough hairs can even bug non-allergy sufferers.
    I recommend whatever breeds you have in mind, you spend time with them before purchasing. Any breed that doesn't cause allergies to one person can cause allergies for another, or visa versa. You should find a breeder or rescue to let you spend time with the dogs and see if they cause trouble. What I personally recommend, and I don't get to recommend my favorite breed often at all, is that you find a purebred cocker and see how that works out with the allergies. They are great little dogs.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

i suggest something of the hairless variety-like a chinese crested (hairless not powderpuff)

labradoodle? The f1 crosses are uncertain as to what they'll be like but an Australian labradoodle that's been bred true can give you a low shedding dog with lab and poodle qualities. Plus they are very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by black and brindle
    labradoodle? The f1 crosses are uncertain as to what they'll be like but an Australian labradoodle that's been bred true can give you a low shedding dog with lab and poodle qualities. Plus they are very cute.
    NO NO NO!! Allow me to step on my rant box for a moment...

A "Labradoodle" is not a breed. I'm sure as we all know from basic biology that whenever you mix two pure parents, you will very rarely end up with a perfect 50/50 descendant. Therefore, a "labradoodle" will rarely inherit all the positive traits of both breeds. You are correct, however, that "F1" crosses are always uncertain. However, there is no such thing as an "Australian Labradoodle". Furthermore, it takes MANY generations to create a true breed. A true breed is not created in the only 30 or so years that "labradoodles" have been in existence.

Labradoodles were originally created for blind people suffering from allergies. However, it is worthy to note that this experiment was a failure. I simply cannot comprehend how a common backyard breeder can have success at creating "perfect labradoodles" while a controlled experiment could not...

The Guide Dog Association had minimal success, as they too never recognize the mutated gene that would go on to develop the allergy friendly Labradoodle as it is seen today.

-laa.org
    What mutated gene is this? I would LOVE to see the research behind this reasoning. Allergies are caused mostly by pet dander, saliva, and urine. The reason Poodles and similar breeds are recommended for allergy sufferers is because Poodles shed their skin every few weeks whereas high-shedding breeds shed their skin every 3-4 days (i.e. Labradors). Now, you explain to me how that leads to a magical non-shedding breed?

If one is looking for a curly-coated retriever-type dog, why not try the Curly-Coated Retriever? It just blows my mind sometimes!

Well said again, Sophie! I think their success rate was arounhd 30%.

Niņo & Eliza

http://dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm maybe this will help? i have known a few people with allergies, et they all swear by their Bichon Frise...course any good dog owner is going to swear by their own breed of dog lol. but if you dont mind some grooming, maybe you'll like this breed? they are very sweet, smart, et energetic et enjoyable for everyone to be around (including children). But ultimately, the choice is yours. i'm glad to see you are looking up information instead of just going out et getting a dog. too many times people see a dog on a movie et don't realize the pro's et con's of that breed, then end up with a dog thats just not right for their lifestyle. Good luck with your decision et have fun with your new best friend!