Thread: I Have A Strange Question - Why Do Cats Have Tails?

I Have A Strange Question - Why Do Cats Have Tails?

Does anybody know what the purpose of a cats tail is?

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

HUmmmm.... what a thought!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

For balance when they jump, I think is the main reason.
    Although Manx and Cats who have lost thier tails through accidents can jump too.
    They are a good barometer of what your Cat is feeling, what thier mood is.
    Other than that I am not sure.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Yes, for balance. Nearly every mammal out there has a tail but us great apes!

How about sign language?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

I had to Google the question

Cats have a greater sense of balance than humans. This is due to the nerve messages from their eyes to their muscles and joints work very fast.

A cat uses its tail for balancing. For example, if it is walking along a narrow wall or fence and decides to look over in one direction, thereby shifting its centre of gravity, it will automatically move its tail in the other direction, re-establishing its body's centre of gravity and keeping it from falling off. The tail is also used as a counter weight when changing direction suddenly at high speed.

Cats use their tails to communicate their emotions, both to other cats and to humans. Below are explanations of some typical "tail postures" you will see, and what they mean. This will not include the Manx Cat who of course is tailless, unless it is a Tailie Manx!

If the tail is curved gently downward, then curved up again at the tip: The cat is relaxed and comfortable.
    If the tail is slightly raised and softly curved: The cat is beginning to get interested in something.
    If the tail is erect, but the tip is tilted over, either forward or back: The cat is very interested and feeling friendly.
    If the tail is fully erect and the tip is vertical: The cat is offering a friendly, cheerful greeting.
    If the tail is erect with the whole length or tip quivering gently: The cat is showing affection.
    If the tail is still, but the tip is twitching occasionally: The cat is slightly irritated or pensive.
    If the tail is still, but the tip is twitching intensely: The cat is very annoyed.
    If the tail is swishing vigorously from side to side: The cat is angry.
    If the tail is straight up and fully bristled: The cat is showing aggression (toward another cat).
    If the tail is arched and bristled: The cat may attack if further provoked.
    If the tail is lowered and fluffed out: The cat is afraid.
    If the tail is raised and fluffed out (the "Big Tail"): The cat is probably happily chasing around.
    If the tail is fully lowered, perhaps tucked between hind legs: The cat is showing defeat or submissiveness (toward another cat).
    If the cat is a female and her tail is held to one side, and she is crouched or with her rump in the air: This female cat is ready to mate.

Note: You must of course, consider what is going on with the cat and its environment. Don't decide on the cat's mood solely by tail positioning alone.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Thanks for the info!!

Cats have tails so they can stick them in your face (most notably in your nose) when you are busy doing something other than paying attention to them.

That was a very good question! Redhedd, I'm glad you posted the answers - thanks!

Jen! Isn't that a fact! I bet we're all going to look at our cats tails now. LOL!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Cats have tails so they can stick them in your face (most notably in your nose) when you are busy doing something other than paying attention to them.
    What a funny & perfect response! Do you know why I asked the question? Because everytime I use the computer, Cosmo comes over and stands in front of it. Eventually, he lays down or sits down and gets comfortable but his tail is always in the way of the screen. So I asked him, why do you have a tail anyways and why must it always be in front of the screen? He just stared at me.