Thread: Hatha Yoga

Hatha Yoga

Does anybody do Hatha Yoga?

What do you think of it?

I'm thinking of doing it 2 times per week for 6 weeks. However, I have the flexibility of a ruler. Do you think I could do it?

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I did two types - Kundalini for two months, then Hatha

I liked Hatha over Kundalini since it is more physically based. To me, Hatha does focus on your breathing along with everything else.

The kundalini class I went to (just my experience, ok?) was a bit too OHM-y and "imagining the light" kind of stuff. Plus, in my class, there was occasional mention of the man who brought Kundalini to North America - they would remember his birthday and such.

Any practice that touches on person-worship, I am not comfy with. I prefer the here-and-now of Hatha.

Also - there is one move in Hatha that fixed a lifelong soft tissue lockup from a car accident! That alone was worth it!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

However, I have the flexibility of a ruler. Do you think I could do it?
    Just done myself a "mischief" laughing.............from a fellow ruler
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Not sure what the difference between Hatha yoga and yoga is, but my gym offers a yoga class which I try to attend at least once a week. I love it! It's not only helped me with my flexibility but also to relax. It took me a few classes to get really into since a lot is also about breathing and focus. I wouldn't worry about your flexibility, we've had people in the class that are recoverying from back injuries, etc. The instructor tells us the positions then shows us how to modify based on your flexibility and level. She's always very specific about honoring your limits. We have all different levels in my class, from people who have been doing it for 5-6 years (they're impressive) to those that just walked in the door that day and can barely bend over.

Thanks for the replies. I will be one of those who walks into class & is unable to bend over. I don't like that "ommm" type of yoga so I'm glad this isn't it.

I've taken a yoga class before but couldn't remember what it was. I just remember laughing when it was really quiet and everybody was doing deep breathing. I couldn't help myself.

I'll be doing this class by myself so I won't have anybody to laugh with this time.

I want to do yoga to help my core and my posture. I'm getting a hump!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I did Bikram yoga for years - the hot sweaty kind - and loved it. The studio changed their class schedule and I'm unable to attend due to work (yeah, I know just where are my priorities ). Hatha is very peaceful for me; Ashtanga is more athletic. I have never disliked any type of yoga I've tried. At all classes I've attended the instructors are very attentive to the student's abilities and flexibility.

I am thinking of going to this weekend's Yoga for Peace event here in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Three hours of sun salutations - it sounds intense, but you go at your own pace and stop when you need to. They're doing it all over the U.S. in memory of those who died on 9/11. Go to http://www.yoga-for-peace.org for a location near you.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10