Thread: Rough spot on Bears leg

Rough spot on Bears leg

I need some advice. Bear has had a "large rough spot" on his left front elbow area since we got him. No hair will grow there and it's almost like a callous (sp??). I've seen dogs that have to lay on concrete a lot get them, and unfortunately that was pretty much Bears life before us. It's usually nothing major and for about 4 years now hasn't bothered him at all. In the past few weeks he's started to lick in constantly. It's red (not bleeding) but obviously irritating him. I've put neosporan on it, and cream/lotion but nothing has helped. Anyone ever have this problem? He has already has a vet appointment scheduled for Friday for shots and to check a lump so I'll have the vet take a look then, but thought I'd see if anyone had any advice?

When my dog was a small pup she had a growth on her right front leg. It was red, callous (sp?) like and irritated her. The vet said it was a growth and it needed to be removed, so she got that done when she was spayed (and her back dewclaws removed to, she was a sorry looking little puppy, especialy with the E. collar. ) Anyway, I don't know if older dogs can get them, it might not be that at all, but that is the closest thing I know of.

Belle has started getting a small place like this on hers too (since I made her a full-time indoor dog). When I asked the vet, she said it was just a pressure point area and that laying down a lot, especially on hard surfaces, like a floor, could do that, and that it was nothing to worry about. Hers are on both elbows, and very small.

Do you notice that Bear always lays with his weight to the same side? If so, is it the side that's lost hair that is bearing the weight? I'd still ask the vet when you go, but wouldn't worry too much about it between now and then.

Star has a spot like that, I put a dab of hydrocortisone on it when it seems ot irritate her and that seems to help.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by VTJess03
    Belle has started getting a small place like this on hers too (since I made her a full-time indoor dog). When I asked the vet, she said it was just a pressure point area and that laying down a lot, especially on hard surfaces, like a floor, could do that, and that it was nothing to worry about. Hers are on both elbows, and very small.

Do you notice that Bear always lays with his weight to the same side? If so, is it the side that's lost hair that is bearing the weight? I'd still ask the vet when you go, but wouldn't worry too much about it between now and then.

That's what I'd always thought as well since yes that's the side he usually lays on and he's had it for a least 4 years now (he had it before I adopted him). My problem now is that it's now started to irritate him and I'm not sure why since nothings changed. The only thing I can think of is that it's been so hot during the day he likes to go outside when it cools off in the evenings and lay on the deck, whereas during the winter he likes to be inside on the sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by pnance
    I need some advice. Bear has had a "large rough spot" on his left front elbow area since we got him. No hair will grow there and it's almost like a callous (sp??). I've seen dogs that have to lay on concrete a lot get them, and unfortunately that was pretty much Bears life before us. It's usually nothing major and for about 4 years now hasn't bothered him at all. In the past few weeks he's started to lick in constantly. It's red (not bleeding) but obviously irritating him. I've put neosporan on it, and cream/lotion but nothing has helped. Anyone ever have this problem? He has already has a vet appointment scheduled for Friday for shots and to check a lump so I'll have the vet take a look then, but thought I'd see if anyone had any advice?

A callous like area on the elbows is likely from laying on a hard surface (if the skin is not red, irritated or inflamed.

The constant licking you described sounds like what we refer to as a 'hot spot'. Dogs get a sort of 'high' from licking, and it doesn't take long for them to figure this out. Sometimes they can start doing this from boredom, or some itchy feeling in that spot. Either way it's a difficult thing to get them to stop the longer it goes on.

Neosporin isn't a cure all for everything, and in some cases can actually make things worse by sealing in moisture which can breed bacteria and such, depending on what is actually going on with your dog. Your vet should always be your first call before trying any home treatments to make sure it's the proper thing to do.

Since I'm a few days late finding this post, I see your appointment with the vet has already happened. Please give us an update as to what your vet said, and how your dog is doing.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The vet took a look and agrees its a callous, the area just happens to be irritated at the moment. He suggested some coritson cream and put one of those spongy ace bandages on it. It seems to doing better already although Bears not exactly amused by the bandage.

Glad to hear Bear is ok. Yeah I'll bet he's not to thrilled about the bandage! lol Poor furbaby.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022