Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh no. I found a little kitten in the road! (Photo update!)

Oh no. I found a little kitten in the road! (Photo update!)

Oh my gosh. It is so cute. I am sure it is feral. It ran across the road from a field and into another field. I snatched it up and brought it home.

My plan is to de-flea it tonight, giving a bath, clean its ears, get all the burrs out of its fur and of course feed the little devil.

Since I have an FIP positive tested cat, I cannot keep any more cats. I have the kitten in a large container with box, food etc. It is in my guest room. It seems scared and happy to be eating!

On Tuesday I will call my vet to drop the little one off for an evaluation, while trying to pitch the thought of adoption to one of my co-workers.

I think I may have saved this little one from a typical barn cat life. Around here farmers consider cats part of the farm but don't treat them with much respect. The come and go.....get sick, die, eaten by other animals, stepped on by cows etc. They also get hit by cars..... and reproduce like crazy, repeating the cycle.

I will keep you guys posted on how its doing. It looks quite healthy, but dirty and smelly. I think I spotted its Mom in the field too. The farmer won't miss the kitten. I am sure they have many more.

Why don't people spay and neuter their animals? I just don't get it.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 10-11-2006 at 12:36 PM.

Glad you snagged this little one.

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Awwwwwwwwww. Good for you for saving the little one. I'm proud of all the PTers of the world. Good people are hard to come by...
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I'm so glad you scooped up this little one and are ready to introduce it to a better life. That's a very lucky kitten. I was looking through the special needs cats in my area on PetFinder yesterday and found a rescue out in farming country that had rescued kittens from a farmer that subscribed to the rural method of "shoot, shovel and shut up". He'd already shot the mother and about 9 kittens. It must be the same in your area as in the Olney, Illinois area where ReachOutRescue saved 12 kittens, they let them breed because they find them useful in keeping down rodents and then simply kill the excess. These people seem to have no idea that each cat is an individual with its own personality.

Such a sweet kitten so far!

He/she tolerated the bath. I was as gentle and fast as possible. The kitten is quite skinny and quite young. He/she is nibbling on the baby cat food that I bought her and is tasting the KMR milk. I did find that the cat pooped in the towel while I was towel drying her/him after the bath. I am sure this kitten has never seen a litter box. I am hoping that by keeping the kitten confined and with a litter box, it will get the idea. I put a nice warm blanket and a beanie baby in with the kitten....and toys.....I have check on it a few times tonight....and it is calm, sleeping and warm......

Tomorrow is a new day. I would like it to feel secure in its new little home - and don't think exposing it to my cats is the right thing to do..........I surely hope a guy I work with will take this little furry creature and give it a furever home. It is a grey tiger kitten....rather muted in color....long hair on its tail......looks like it will be medium hair in length....maybe tomorrow I will roll it over to see if it is a boy or girl.....It seems semi feral...no hissing.....just a couple of meows....it seems shy....but not crazy wild........

Anyone interested? I know, I know. There are so many, many cats and kittens in need of a good home. I feel pretty confident that the guy at work will say yes.

If I can find my camera tomorrow, I will take some photos!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 09-05-2006 at 05:25 AM.

I'm so glad that you were able to rescue this little kitten and he/she sounds so adorable. Hopefully it'll get a clean bill of health and the man at work will want to adopt it. I look forward to seeing pictures of him/her.

Its a boy!

I am fairly sure this kitten is male. I am fairly sure it has worms, too. I will let the vet take care of that. I bought drugs at the Petco, for worms and ear mites, but the directions say they are for older kittens, so I will keep little Mr. Muffet ...aka kitty...... secluded for sure. I hope once the vet visit is over and he has a clean bill of health, he will be adopted.

I am having trouble with him not using his litter box. I hope with a new clean cage a couple of times a day, he will get the idea. I put a little poop of his in the box, hoping that he'll get the message. Jenluckenbach gave me some pointers too. Thanks Jen.

Its funny. I am not attached to this kitten.....as I know I am at my limit. I think the FIP thing has me convinced that I am at my limit, too.

I will spend some time with the kitty today, to try to get him to purrrrrrrr.

I feel as though I should have left him with his Mom, in the field, near the road, to live out his probably short life....and then I rethink it and figure I saved him from a short life. He seems so lonely and scared. I know. I know.

Maybe he will fall in love with the beanie baby lion in his cage. Hey, maybe he will lean how to roar!

P. S. When I spyed him, he was in the road...right in the middle and when I stopped he ran into a field.........his Mom, I think, was in the field on the other side of the road.....trying to catch something......she never even noticed me......So I didn't snatch him off a leash......but I did run through a field to catch him.....he didn't just walk up to me.......Yes, I kitnapped!

SAS, I'm so glad you got him. Just thinking about what could have happened .....

Keeping him away from your other kitties is of course the best thing to do. I bet he's happy to be clean now, and get some decent food and lots of loving.

Good luck getting him adopted! I really your collegue wil take him.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sallyanne, when he is skinny he has worms and when he is not strong- ... I very well remember the foxes in your area! I hope he'll find a great home. If he's rid of the worms I am sure training him to the litterbox will be easier.

He seems quite relaxed and also too calm

I can feel all of his bones. To the vets with him.

I held him for about an hour, in his room and he never even tried to get down or move. He slept. I can't decide if he is ailing or just a mellow kitten. He didn't seem so mellow dancing around in the middle of the road.............

He has used his litter box today.....drank his KMR milk ....eaten a little baby kitten food......tomorrow cannot come soon enough. I think I will take him to the office with me so that I can be squeezed in easily at the vet. He fits in the carrier so nicely now, that it will be easy. I will put him in the back room at the office....until his vet visit...then take him home...until I get him adopted out.

He is too young to neuter.....so I will give the person who adopts him a voucher at the vets......no more kittens coming from his direction....!

P. S. I have changed my mind about taking him to the office. He seems quite relaxed in his cage and I don't want to put him through so many long car rides. I will call the vet and schedule an appointment for ASAP - maybe tomorrow....
    Last edited by sasvermont; 09-05-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Thank you for snatching him from the fields so he can have a better life than being part of the food chain.

Hope the little fella is going to be OK.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Growing attached....a little......oh no....

Well, I decided to wait until tomorrow to take the little one to the vet. His appointment is for 11:30. I hope he will get a clean bill of health. I'm working on the guy at the office, to take him home but don't want to rush things. I am concerned about two things right now: 1.) not exposing the kitten to my cats and 2.) not growing attached.

All you have to do is hold this little critter for 5 minutes and you fall in love. I am trying to keep him from digging a little hole in my heart! I think my vet will lecture me enough to keep him in his own room until he is adopted out. I found the kitten only 1/2 mile from my vet's house! Maybe she'll take him!

So, if all goes smoothly, I hope to have him adopted out by the end of the week.

He is such a sweet kitten.

What is FIP?

What is FIP?

Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a major viral disease of both wild and domestic cats that is almost always fatal. It was first discovered in the 1960s, and in 1970 the causative virus was identified as a coronavirus, which are a group of viruses that cause disease in pigs, dogs, and humans. However, FIP virus (FIPV) does not infect humans. Although coronavirus infection is common among cats, the incidence of feline infectious peritonitis is less than 1%. It occurs more commonly in multicat households and in purebred cats. For example, the Burmese breed seems to be more susceptible to FIP. Sometimes a period of stress occurs just before the development of FIP, such as neutering, vaccination, or moving.

FIP affects cats of all ages and both genders, but mostly young (kitten to two years) and older (fifteen years) cats. This may be due to the undeveloped immune system in the young cat, and weakening immunity in the older cat. It is possible for several kittens in a litter to develop FIP. It may be a factor in "kitten mortality complex," that is, the unexplained deaths of fetuses, newborns, and the very young.

Not all cats infected with the virus become seriously ill, but infected cats with mild symptoms or even no symptoms can become carriers and pass it on to other cats for as long as several years. A carrier cat that develops lowered immunity may eventually develop the full-blown disease.

Although the way FIPV is spread is not yet clear, the major source of the virus is in the feces of cats. Since it is rather unstable, it cannot survive more than a few weeks in the environment, so environmental spread is probably not a major source of the infection. It is also possible for cats that have had no contact with diseased cats to develop FIP. In multicat households that have had cats with FIP, it may mysteriously recur after months of being free of disease.

After a cat ingests the virus, replication follows in the pharynx and small intestine. The virus can be shed from the throat, lungs, stomach, and intestines and spread to other cats one to ten days later. It then reaches the lymphoid tissue, and eventually the infection spreads throughout the body. The virus may incubate for as long as several years before symptoms appear, when the disease is no longer contagious.

There are a number of strains of FIPV--some more virulent than others--and a cat with a strong immune system may not develop the disease. The presence of feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) may predispose a cat to the development of FIP.

Some of the initial clinical signs of FIP are fever, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, and lethargy. Other cats have sneezing, watery eyes, and nose discharge. Several weeks later, more definitive symptoms appear. The disease at this point is divided into wet or dry, but many cats have a mixture of the two.

In wet FIP (around 60-70% of FIP cases), fluid accumulates in body cavities--most commonly the abdominal cavity--with gross abdominal swelling; or the thoracic cavity, which may cause breathing problems.

In dry FIP, lesions develop in different sites, and symptoms depend on what organs are affected. In up to 50% of cases, eye inflammation or neurological problems such as paralysis, unsteady gait, and seizures will develop. Other lesions may affect the kidneys, liver or gastrointestinal area.

FIP is difficult to diagnose through standard laboratory tests, and many veterinarians don't bother with blood tests. However, some tests can help point to FIP as a cause for your cat's condition. The coronavirus titer test can determine the presence of coronavirus in your cat. X-ray and analysis of fluid present in the body cavities is one of the most useful tests. Examination of biopsied tissue is another way FIP can be confirmed.

Thus far, there is no effective treatment available for FIP. Infected cats can be treated symptomatically, but euthanasia becomes the only option as the disease progresses. Alternative veterinarians recommend homeopathy, herbs, and nutrition to treat symptoms, but not as a cure.

The most effective way to deal with FIPV is through strict control of infection. In a multicat household, any cats with signs of possible FIP should be isolated and kept indoors until a diagnosis is made. This is especially important if the cat is pregnant. After her kittens are born, they should be removed from her after four to six weeks (by that time they will have acquired antibodies from the mother, and started producing their own) to protect them from acquiring any viruses from her, including FIPV.

Hygiene is crucial in controlling FIPV. Make sure litter boxes are scooped daily, throw away the rest of the litter every week, and disinfect the boxes with bleach. Also clean and disinfect the area around the box. Use at least one litter box for every two cats. Change food and water daily, and disinfect bowls and utensils weekly. Almost any common household disinfectant can be used to destroy FIPV, which can survive up to three weeks in the home.

Other measures to control FIP include minimizing stress, especially if you have more than one cat. Do not bring new cats into the home for six months. And you might consider screening your cats for feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus, which suppress the immune system of the cat and predispose it to developing FIP.

A vaccine is available for FIPV, but it is controversial and some veterinarians do not recommend it. Studies are continuing to create a more effective vaccine that will cover all strains of FIPV.

My vet tested Miley for FIP and she tested positive. That means that she was exposed to it, not that she has it. She does have issues with soft stools and we are working on that. So although she tested positive it seems that testing the other three cats is pointless because there is no treatment for it! Something else to worry about!

Now aren't you sorry you asked?

Good save on that little one. Wow what a mouth full of info on the FIP...you got me worried. My Olney, Illinois rescues are sneezing, and have watery eyes...the vet says just a URI...but now I am second guessing. Keep us posted on the little one. Oh, can we PLEASE see pics? We at PT are picture-a-holics!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org