Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

I am afraid you have to give Kirk yet another kiss; this one is from me. He sure is a handsome boy. And you can tell he is a real sweetheart. I will continue to keep that handsome boy in my prayers for a total cure and recovery.

Kirk, you are the cutest! I will keep praying for you.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm so sorry to hear that poor Kirk is going through pain again. I can't wait for the day when I see a "Kirk hiking pics" thread. That will be a great day for you both. He's such a beautiful boy, you can tell he's a sweetheart just by looking at him. I hope that he'll improve, get well soon Kirk!

Lots of prayers and love to you and Kirkie.

I hope it is just the hip and not a knee issue.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

You and Kirk are in my thoughts and prayers....
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Cruciate tear

I hate to even update this thread anymore... I have avoided it since Saturday.

So, upon exam, his hips were fine - no grinding, no pain. YAY! However, his LEFT knee was looser than the right and quite painful That plus x-rays indicate that he has a partial cruciate tear. How he even generated enough force to tear the cruciate with his SKINNY body and TINY, ATROPHIED left leg...I will never know.
    I am crushed.

Now I'm worried because his right leg (the 'good' one) would seem to be at greater risk for a cruciate tear...and there's not much I can do. Protect him too much and he'll have no musculature...give him too much freedom and he will overexert. I'm trying to find that balance to maintain everyone's sanity...but it's not easy.

He'll continue with hydrotherapy, acupuncture, pain meds, and chondroprotective supplementation....so we're basically "staying the course."

When will it end??

Don't worry if you don't hear from me for a while... I want to come back when I have good news.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Oh Kate, of course we will worry if we don't hear from you. Prayers will continue for this brave little boy. He is lucky to have someone who can give him as much care and opportunities as you have. {{{hugs}}}

Oh you poor things!!

I pray all of this stops for you soon and you both can enjoy your lives together!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I'm so familar (unfortunately) with ACLs with RB Cody..but to add Kirk's to his poor hips problems is devastating. My heart is breaking for you. Poor Kirk, Poor You. Know that I'll be thinking of you all the time and sending you hugs and prayers.

I've been Boooo'd!

More prayers going out to both of you. Kirkie is a lucky boy to have such a caring, loving, Mom. He couldn't be in better hands. Please get better and stop having any health problems cutie pie!! Please??
    {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Oh dear Kirk, you just gotta keep your mommy on her toes, don't you?

My prayers go out to you both, and I hope to hear from you with good news next time!

Now there's something I'm familiar with,cruciate tears. Although probably not as bad as what Kirk has been through with his hips, you didn't need this too. I will continue to pray for Kirk that he may get his legs in working order so he can run and play a bit like a puppy should. I will pray for you also, this must be wearing you down terribly. Please don't feel you must wait for good news to update, we all want to know what is going on with Kirk and PT prayers can do wonders.{{{hugs}}}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Good News!

It is with great RELIEF that I come bearing GOOD NEWS!

Kirkie has been doing very, very well as of late. Most significantly....he is *finally* FULLY WEIGHT-BEARING! However, it's not EQUAL weight bearing, espeically when he stands ---he leans heavily on his right side and his little spine is all crooked . Also when he starts going faster than a 4-beat walk, he tends to bunny hop.

However, his left leg muscles are finally growing. His left leg used to be about a third of the size of his right (which was also atrophied to a degree)....and now his musculature on the left side is about half as big as the right, and growing every day!

He's on twice daily walks and we're slowly increasing them. His endurance at weekly hydrotherapy is amazingly increased. He's less painful at acuptuncture and hasn't tweaked his knee in weeks! Lots of good news!!

Now onto some happy pictures of my healing boy

More pics coming....and I'm going to upload some videos of him walking so you can see his gait....

Starin' down the hose....

Videos are up next....

ETA:I have just ordered an 8x10 of the second to last pic for our wonderful hydrotherapy instructor. Kirkie has just two more sessions with her and then I will be taking over with walking and occasional swimming at the ocean and a neighbor's pool. I can't afford the hydrotherapy sessions anymore, but they are a HUGE part of the reason he is weight bearing and better muscled now.
    Last edited by Kater; 05-31-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Finally, some wonderful news on your boy Kirk. I'll bet you're as happy
    as he looks in these pictures. Keep on getting better & better little guy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt