Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

Kirk, Honey, praying for your quick, safe and painless recovery, you brave boy!

I've been Boooo'd!

Kirkie came home last night. He is eating well and staying pretty calm (on tranquilizers, haha). I have to get to work now, but I thought I'd pop in and make a quick update.

I am *SO* happy to have him back home!!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

glad to hear hes back!!! lets now hope for a speedy recovery........way to go Kirk boy..........you are sooooo brave and cute............kisses
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well and that Kirk is home. I bet that is such a relief for you. I'm sending along some positive vibes for Kirk and hoping that he has a speedy recovery and all is well.

First Recovery Photos

The good news: Kirkie is healing quite quickly and is not indicating that he is in pain.

The bad news: We have him on the highest recommended dosage of Ace (tranquilizer) and he is still pretty spazzy! I have to continually reel the little guy in and am using a sling, not because he needs it, but because it gives me more control and allows me to slow him down.

Post Op Regimen = Crated at all times with only short walks to the yard to potty. It is really quite strict.

His appetite is great and he is not getting an upset stomach despite strong antibiotics and other medications. I am feeding him tripe with every meal and he loooves that stuff, so it is keeping him interested in food. He is back to pottying outside, which is great. At the clinic, post op, he was both peeing on pooping on himself. On his first day home, he peed outside readily on command, but was still pooping in his crate. Now he is better at letting us know when he has to go out and probably less painful, so he hasn't had any more accidents in the crate. The 'poop position' is likely painful considering his pelvis was cut in three places, and so it is normal for them to have reluctance about going.

Funny story....The surgeon, Dr. Y, got to see Kirk one week before his surgery. At that time he somehow got the impression that Kirk was a bigger dog....somewhere on the order of 50 lbs?? *confused* Kirk is 28.4 lbs. right now, granted he does manage to look like a bigger dog in way...I guess...maybe his longish coat? I don't know what it is….

Anyway, here in my widdle-boy-who-looks-like-a-big-dog…..hehe

Thank goodness for chewies…

What would we do without chewies?!

I also have some pics that include his shaved leg and two of the incisions. I will put them as links for those that may feel squeamish about such things. They are not close-ups.
    *graphic pictures*
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...cs9-10-064.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...cs9-10-063.jpg

Dogs are brave. They really are. There is no way a person would be in such good spirits or walking so soon after such an operation. It is really quite amazing.

Thanks for reading!

Kate

aaawwww
    Kirkie!
    you got your britches cut!
    I'm glad you are listening to mommy!

Keegan regressed when I had her spayed with the potty training - took her a couple days to get back on track.
    kisses to the recuping boy!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

aww Kirk! Those pics of you with your beautiful fluffy fur shaved off break my heart ;[!

Kate, he doesn't look miserable at all and the incision looks really good. I'm so happy he did well! His puppy bones will heal so well. I can't imagine how difficult this must be (keeping a BC puppy quiet! ughhha!) but you sound like you're very prepared and you definitely love him so much that you'd do anything for him. I hope he gets well soon, and please keep updating us with pics of your hunky little boyee! His expressions remind me of Gonzo, I love his face =)

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Awww Kirk looks so adorable. I'm glad that he is healing up well and on the road to recovery!

I am sorry that I am so late in replying to this thread! I am glad everything went well! He's so cute! give him a gentle hug for me, please.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Awwww!!! I'm so glad you're doing so well cute boy!! Kisses to you Mr. Kirkie!! Kudos to you for keeping this little guy so quiet. He is such a doll! It amazes me how much he reminds me of one of my son's Tri-Black Aussies

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Awww your dog looks such a sweetheart.... I'll be sure to say extra prayers tonight so that all continues to go well for your "Lil Angel" My Cavalier that I had some years ago had to have hip surgery so I know all about what your going through trying to make them stay calm and everything which is not an easy thing to have to do for such an active dog... Meds work wonders though and in no time at all I'm sure they will be getting along just fine...

~Peace & Blessings to ya both~
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face

Kirk is looking good and adorable!! Good luck with his recovery.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Obligatory conehead pics

An essential part of his 'strict regimen' that I failed to mention.........

"Moooooommm, take it off!!!!!"

I'm so mean.

Awww Kirk. I'd cover your sweet dog face with kisses if I could. Mind your momma and you'll recover more quickly. I know the cone sucks, once you're up and walking around it makes a really good knee whacker though (too much experience with this) and leaves lovely half moon bruises. You're looking great, your momma must be sooooo relieved.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Kate, I'm sorry I haven't seen your threads about how bad Kirk's hips are. I'm really sorry to hear such a young guy is having so many problems at such a young age, he sure doesn't deserve this (and neither do you).
    But wow, he really does look happy now. With the exception of the fun conehead thingie..lol.

I'm sending lots of hugs for you both and many kisses for that cutie pie of yours And of course many prayers for his upcoming surgery.

Love Anna and the kids

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets