Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    I am so sorry to hear about these problems. It is most unfair for Kirk and
    for you too. You must have the patience of a Saint to keep carrying
    on for as long as you have. Could you keep Kirk caged while you are gone?
    I hope he starts to put more weight on his leg soon. Do you think he just
    over did things & strained a muscle?
    Yes, he is crate trained and usually in the crate when no one is around. However, my Dad is retired and at home with him confined to our small living room most of the time. This week was Spring Break and my parents were out of town. Kirk had been in the crate MUCH more than usual because of my insane schedule. I wanted to give him some freedom while I went on my short trip to the airport, but apparently that was a mistake.
    I really don't know what it could be....because last night he was the most acutely and suddenly painful that I've ever seen him-- more obviously painful than the TWO times he dislocated that hip. I just don't know....
    Thank you for the good thoughts.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    I am so very sorry! I truly hope it can be fixed this time. You and Kirk will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    ((((HUGS))))
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Consider them sent and prayed!
    Thank you both!!

Oh no, Kate!!! I was so shocked to see this today! Poor Kirk.. it sounded like things were *finally* getting back on track the other day, and now this! I hope beyond hope that it was just a minor tweak and with some pain meds and rest he will be back on his way in a few days! And do not beat yourself up about it, you have been nothing but a miracle for this dog, he is SO lucky to have you. I will be sending good thoughts your way!!!!! **HUGS**
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

Yous are in my thoughts, I know how hard it is dealing with joint issues. We'll be sending possitive thoughts your way. Hugs to that sweet boy.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh no. I am so saddened to see this thread come up again with bad news myself. I was so hoping he was doing better. I feel so bad for both of you. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Kirkie just has to get better!! He's such a handsome man.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I don't think I ever posted on this thread, but I'm have been reading it, and I have kept you both in my thoughts. I feel so bad for Kirk and You, that you have to deal with this. Poor baby, I feel so bad, he's just a puppy. Good luck Kirk and I will keep you guys in my prayers!!

I admittingly almost hated to read this, my heart sank. I'm so sorry and concerned that poor Kirk is in pain. I too am praying he's feeling better today. Poor guy. But you are a saint, indeed. I hope you both will be rewarded soon. with playful, healthy, happy times. Kisses on Handsome Kirk.

I've been Boooo'd!

I was hoping this thread was bumped up for some good news, and it saddens me deeply to hear of Kirk's troubles. He's such a fun-loving pup, and I can't even fathom the pain you two are going through. My best wishes to you both, and I hope Kirk heals successfully.

Poor Kirk. I feel so bad for him always having to go to the vet , be locked in a crate and made rest. He can't have the normal puppy or adult life because his hips Is anything being done with the breeder?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

This is so upsetting, Kate.

I have been thinking of that cute little boy.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

So hows he feeling now, any better?? :/

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Update...

....on my handsome boy.

Well, his 3 days of 'heavy' pain meds are over, and he's certainly in less pain. Although there has been less hopping, I don't think there has been any significant improvement. It's hard because in his case toe touching and true weight-bearing look pretty similar, since the muscle is so very atrophied. However, what I thought was weight-bearing has been dubbed toe touching by another, more experienced party. (Not the vet, but someone who has experienced multiple leg surgeries, some very similar to Kirkie's....) Basically looking at his gait at the clinic is useless, because he's all hyper and hopped up on adrenaline (he LOVES the clinic), so I need to be able to accurately report what his progress has been day-to-day. I guess I was being a little too optimistic in thinking that his toe touching was weight-bearing....

He has hydrotherapy today (it will be his 5th time in the water). If it is a problem with his knee, then he really shouldn't be swimming....but I'm almost 100% positive it's a problem with the hip again. The therapist has quite a bit of experience and she won't do anything she's not comfortable with....so he may end getting a long massage session instead of water time. Have I ever mentioned that she LOVES Kirkie? She's always telling me he has the best temperament she has ever seen in any border collie she has met or worked with ...he's a real lover. I only wish you could all meet him because meeting new people is probably what he loves best in the world.

Also I'll be taking him in to the clinic tomorrow to figure things out. I'm hoping maybe they can manually manipulate his hip to get it back in the socket again....(with morphine on board of course).... assuming that is the problem. I hope we will have non-surgical options because I'm pretty sure I can't put either him or myself through surgery again. We'll see....

Here's some happy pictures....playing with his I Qube! He's *loves* that thing!!

Thank you ALL for your prayers and thoughts. Kirkie and I both are very appreciative!!

put a big ol' kiss right b/n his eyes from me
    still thinking of you and praying for you Kate!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

What a cutie pie!! Great pictures of you Mr. Kirkie!! You're one adorable boy. I wish we could all meet you too. That would be great and especially if it would help you. I hope you get better and feel good soon.

{{{{{KIRKIE AND MOM}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

glad to see an update! he is sooo adorable. he has such a gorgeous face. I really wish I could meet that cutie!! give him a big kiss for me, hope the therapy continues to go well

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)

Brock - Royal - Alki