Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

Kate, I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this. I hope and pray his surgery goes well!

My neighbors Malamute had hip dysplacia and responded well to acupuncture treatments. I hope Kirk continues to tolerate them.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am just now catching up on this thread .... so sorry to hear of your pup's problems and such a young age! Thank God you have so much help and vet experience around you to see him through all of this! Your breeder did the only right thing to do in this situation .... thank goodness for that! I am glad to hear that his neuter went well without complication! Sending prayers for a successful surgery on Thursday!

Hugs,
    Kim

Thanks for all the good vibes, everyone.
    Surgery is tomorrow and I'm trying very hard not to worry excessively. I still have a lot of things I need to get together....a sling, some carpet runner for the one patch of tile by the front door, bedding for his crate, etc. I am working on a list now. My thoughts are pretty scattered this week! Oi, this is so hard.

He has absolutely no idea what is ahead. I haven't really been talking to him about it or treating him any differently. He is really sore right now since he is off of his supplements. We do have him on a low dose of Deramaxx though, but I can't tell if it's doing much good. Sometimes when he is just walking slowly in the house I can hear the hips popping...

I will update as soon as I can on Thursday. Keep the prayers coming!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Awwww Kirk. I feel so badly for you. But tomorrow the beginning of the end of your pain begins little buddy. My RB Sami will be keeping an eye on you tomorrow. She had lots of surgeries when she was with us and can help you thru no trouble. Now sweet boy, your momma is very stressed and nervous about this whole surgery tomorrow. You be sure to be a good boy and give her a big, sloppy kiss to make her feel better. She loves you lots. As do we all.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Kirk, wakey, wakey sweetie. I hope your surgery went well and you are just waking up. Been thinking of you and Slick all day today with your respective surgeries.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I dropped him off just 3 hours ago. I stayed there for over an hour fiddling around and avoiding leaving. He should be nearly done with the surgery by now, but I'm still waiting on a call.

I need to go back outside where I get good cell reception...will update when I know more.

Kate

Kate, I totally missed this before. I'm sorry that I wasn't paying better attention.

You and Kirk are certainly in my prayers. I hope the surgery will go smoothly and the baby will have a chance at an active, healthy life. I'm sure you're going to make certain that it happens that way!!!!

Logan

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry I missed this thread. Praying for little Kirkie and you!!! Please update me in an email, if you can.

Kirk is out of surgery. Things went well! I AM SO RELIEVED!!!!

He is on lots of pain meds as well as a tranquillizer (Ace). I will go and see him this afternoon and probably stay until later this evening. He has to stay overnight because the doctors want to look at him in the morning. He may come home Friday night or possibly Saturday.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to keep him sedated for the first week (weeks?) at least – he is just too active! His second TPO is scheduled for October 26th. So I guess that means he should be pretty well healed by about Thanksgiving?? Whew. We've got a long way to go…..

I will try to get some pictures to post in this thread sometime soon.

Thanks so much for the good thoughts!! I cannot wait to see my boy!!

Kate

I am so glad the surgery went well. I was praying it would. Please do
    keep us updated on how Kirk is doing, o k ? The Vet Doctors can work
    miracles nowadays.When he's all healed up, it will make a world of difference
    for the little guy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Glad to hear his first surgery went well, we will keep you in our prayers, all paws crossed that recovery & 2nd surgery will go smoothly. That's an awful lot to go through, and it is too bad your co-workers aren't more sympathetic. But be assured that here on PT, you've got tons of support! ** Ear ruffles **to Kirk.

I'm glad that Kirk made it through the surgery ok. I hope he recovers well!!

Congrats Kirk! You've made it halfway through!

Giselle's birthday is Oct 26th, too, so I'll be sure tell her to wish for Kirk's speedy recovery when she blows the candles.

I'm happy to hear Kirk did well with his surgery. I hope he does well, he's such a sweet pup.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I haven't responded, but I certainly have been following this thread, and so thankful to hear that the surgery is over and it went well. Now we will keep our fingers crossed that the recovery will go smoothly as well!!

p.s. I totally understand how an over-hyper puppy that is underactive gets bored and misbehaves. Malone was the WORST when he was a puppy if we didn't exercise him all the time. He would get so bored and just go from one mischief to the next. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that your co-workers should walk a mile in your shoes before they start to make comments about Kirk-ie's behavior. Also, I will be thinking about you as you try to keep him quiet these next few weeks.