Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

Yes, try to stay positive, even though somedays it may be hard. I am keeping Kirk in my thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping for that celebration BBQ.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh Kate, I am so sorry to hear that Kirk is not making the progress we had all hoped for. I hope the hydrotherapy helps and that he finds that swimming is his real passion and what will help him get well. Early Happy Birthday wishes for Kirk, and I hope you get your barbeque.

I hope and pray the hydrotherapy helps him.
    Please know that you and Kirk are in my thoughts and prayers.

{{hugs}} to you both!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I'm keeping you both in my Prayers!

Stay positive, things may get hard but they will get better!

~Ceph

Kirk, I'm so sorry to hear you're not recovering quickly.

I hope the hydro therapy perks you up! *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm so sorry that Kirk isn't doing as well as expected. I've got such a soft spot for this handsome man. As I've said, he reminds me so much of one of my son's dogs. Hydrotherapy is the best thing out there today. It's proven to be so beneficial to so many people. I hope that Kirk will become a new man and see better days ahead. After all, he'll be wanting to flip some burgers and hot dogs at the BBQ won't he??

You're both in my thoughts and prayers as always. Bless you for going all these extra miles to help him He's a very special boy

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Pics!

Here are the swimming pictures I promised. Kirkie was in the water for about 10 minutes, after a nice session of Healing Touch and massage. The land work opened up all his major chakras (heart, brow, crown, throat, solar plexus, sacral, root) before the hydrotherapy.

She measured corresponding parts of his leg muscles (didn't see what part exactly) so we can better track his progress. His right side measured in at 49 mm while the left was only 32 mm. That's a lot of atrophy for one month (although he has actually been favoring the left side for longer).

He is soo trusting and very good with letting people touch him all over. It was amazing to see her calm him (at first he was all over, sniffing, chewing her plants, etc.) and eventually fully relax him to the point where his eyes were closing. Only when he was fully relaxed did she want to get him in the pool.

In the pool he made about 6 laps total against a low level current. It was so cute - he carried the octopus toy around the whole time!! He took to the water like a lab, if you ask me. I'm so proud of him!!

Here he is swimming:

Short video:

I'll probably get in the water next week so I can practice doing the exercises with him. I have (dog-loving) neighbors who have offered their pool for Kirkie's therapy (it's the same type of heated therapy pool with current). So maybe next week I can get him in the water a second time! For now, I just want to gradually build him up and be sure I am comfortable with the exercises before I attempt them myself.

She talked a lot about the importance of positive thinking and its impact on healing. I know she is totally right, but it has been a frustrating 6 months, and I can admit that I have lost sight of this. However, now that I feel like I have another great supporter on Kirkie's "team" I hope I can better maintain the positive thinking I know he needs. Pet Talk prayers are great for this too...so keep them coming!!

Thanks so much for reading!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

aawww how cute!!!
    I am praying for you and Kirkie!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Despite everything, Kirk still has his handsome, adorable, wide eyed look. He looks precious in the pool, holding his octopus.Always praying for the sweet dear. You, Kate are a wonderful mother! Mommies never give up on their kids!

I've been Boooo'd!

I'm sorry to hear that Kirk isn't healing as well as expected. I hope with time he'll be feeling better. I love the water pics, he sure loves that octopus, what a handsome boy!

Triple Awwwwwwww!!!!! What a good boy he is in the water!! Him just loves him little octopus. Gosh!! I love that boy!! I hope you don't mind if I tell my son to look in on the new pics and video. He'll get such a big kick out of it. Kisses to you sweetheart!! I'm always praying and hoping for both of you!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

It's good to know you have great, supportive people on your side to
    help Kirkie get better. May be slow, but it's sure he will benefit from it.
    I can't wait for pictures of the big celebration in his honor. You both
    deserve it. ((HUGS))
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aww look at the handsome man swimming . Good vibes on the way as always, and some {{Hugs}} too.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Having a hard time....

Hello PT...Kirk is still having problems and I am getting more and more depressed.

I didn't post about it, but they had to go in AGAIN surgically on the left side and sand down his femur MORE. Yes, he managed to have major complications with the hip surgeries on BOTH sides. This last surgery was about a month ago on 2-26. Then his left leg was in a sling for a little more than 2 weeks. The sling was removed at the same time as the sutures and staples. It took a while, but eventually he started using the leg and I was so happy that he was no longer a hopping triped. He is very very atrophied and weak on the left side, but up until last night he was walking on it consistently (albeit carefully). Hydrotherapy was going well and he could last for 15 minutes in the water with regular breaks. After he warmed up, we would see great extension and full kicking with both back legs.

Then I went to pick up someone from the airport last night and came home to find him obviously injured. He would barely walk to me, whined in pain and could not comfortably lie down. This morning he is a bit better, but now he's back to hopping again and I'm left wondering what damage has been done. I know I have to call the vets today, but I am not up for more xrays or surgery....and I don't know what other options we have. I never expected that this ordeal could go on for six and a half months, but I am damn near breaking point. More than anything I want this poor puppy to move on with his life and start having FUN......

This is beyond unfair and I am so frustrated I hardly know what to do. Please pray for us.

Here we are in happier times a few days ago...He looks so dorky cause there was a treat on top of the camera

Here he is now, all drugged up on pain meds You can see his surgery scar here- the white line where the fur is slightly parted...

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Poor baby, he will be in our prayers again. An immobile Border Collie is NOT a happy Border Collie, poor baby!