Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirk's Hips =( **8/26 GOOD update!**"

Letter from the breeder

Yesterday I got a letter from the breeder. She relayed that the owners of two of his littermates reported no signs of any problems. One of Kirk's littermates is also in our puppy class, so we have let them know as well.

She also included a check...she refunded his purchase price to the dollar. It will really help with the cost of surgery. Looking at the date on the check I see she wrote it the same day I called her to let her know about his hips. She offered a full or partial refund over the phone, and I was thinking of asking the next time I called her for at least the partial refund, but I'm glad she made the decision for me. I will have to think of something really nice to do for her. I should also e-mail her some of his recent pics!

I will call her tonight to thank her and let her know about his upcoming neuter.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

That's nice of her to fully refund you.

I'm wishing Kirk and you the best!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

That was very nice of her to do that, I bet that will help you out a lot. Good luck with Kirk!

It's good to know she felt obligated to return the full price.It is what any
    responsible breeder should do.I'm also glad it helps with Kirk's bills.Will you
    let us know when his surgery is scheduled. I want to pray extra hard for
    a positive outcome for the little guy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That was very nice of the breeder and I agree with lizbud. That is a truly responsible breeder It's heartwarming to see such unwavering support! I hope you and Kirk can both recover from this illness quickly!

I'm glad to hear she gave you your money back.
    Many MANY{hugs} to you and Kirk!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Surgery date set

Hey everyone! Kirkie made it through Thursday's neuter uneventfully. He was better behaved than he has been at the clinic previously, even staying still for catheterization. He was also really quiet, well after surgery anyway, and then until I got there to pick him up, haha. I think my co-workers were impressed!

Funny thing is....nugget #2 dropped just in time! Six days prior to his neuter when I had him in for pre-op bloodwork, nug #2 was still in hiding. However, after shaving him for a cryptorchid neuter (oops) they discovered that both of his little 'men' were hanging, LOL. So because it was a much lower risk procedure, the vet student was okayed to do his surgery (instead of Dr. Z). She did a great job, and the site is healing up very nicely. Kirkie is not even licking, even though the shave job is probably a bit itchy. Good boy!! After his TPO he is going to look soo ridiculous with so much of his fur gone....

Okay, that brings me to the next thing. On the day of his neuter, the board-cert. surgeon (Dr. Y) was there doing a TPLO on a co-woker's pittie girl. It was a nice coincidence and enabled him to see Kirk's frog leg x-rays hot of the press and even gave him a chance to rotate Kirk's hips while he was under. Thankfully the femoral head sits well in the acetabulum (ball in cup analogy) in this position, and this makes him a good candidate for the TPO. Good, albeit expensive, news!!

Surgery is scheduled for:
    Thursday, September 14th at 8:30am (Hawaii time).

We will probably do his right side first. They want to do the more severe side first, but x-rays don't show much difference between his hips – both are equally bad. However, back when his bunny hopping/limping was irregular, I noticed him favoring the right side more. On tonight's walk I tried to focus on his gait extra carefully and it still seems like the right side might be causing him a bit more trouble. We will do his other hip in 4-6 weeks, depending on recovery.

We may try post-op acupuncture for him, depending on how he tolerates it, hehe. On Saturday I asked Dr. A (acupuncturist & vet I work most closely with) if she would do one treatment, teaching me the points, and then perhaps let me take some needles home and try doing it myself. I can't afford to pay for acupuncture (after these surgeries!) and Kirkie will probably be too hyped up at the clinic anyway. She immediately pulled out her books and showed me the three main hip points, which she had actually just needled in an older pug in front of me. Then we took out one of our boarding dogs and she helped me find the points on the dog. So I think I had a pretty clear idea of the location of the points. She gave me two sizes of needles and wished me luck, LOL. I needled his left hip this afternoon and actually got him to keep the needles in for a full half an hour! I felt pretty confident in their placement and did see some drooling and his nose dripped some too, both signs indicative of endorphin release. Hopefully he'll continue to tolerate it!

Well, I think that about covers everything. Please keep him in your prayers Thursday! This is a major surgery, not without risks, and he will be under anesthesia for approximately an hour.

Thanks, PT!

Kate

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Aww Kirk, I'll be praying for you. You are so young & otherwise healthy, I'm sure you'll surpass everyone's expectations of getting better.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed Kirks way that his surgery goes well.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for sure Kirk and Mom. Can't wait to hear the outcome. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Many many maaaaaany hugs to you and Kirk!
    Glad to hear #2 dropped in time! That was GREAT news!
    Wow... you did acupuncture!! Way to go! I hope it works for him!
    I wish Kirk all the luck in the world for surgery this Thursday, you both will be in my thoughts!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I've been following Kirk's story and I am sending him lots of positive thoughts.

Please give him some hugs from me.

glad to hear the good news Kate!
    Keegan responded well to acupuncture.
    My vet used the accupressure gun on her tho b/c of having to stay still for so long with the needles in.
    GOOD LUCK KIRK!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm always anxious to read about Kirk, since that's my John's middle name (his family calls him Kirk). I told him about his "namesake" and he said his hips are going to start going soon too and maybe he'll see your vet!
    Relieved and pleased that the Big Snip went well. Positive, loving thoughts being sent over the miles for a speedy, safe, healthy recovery on Kirk's hip surgery. xoxoxox

I've been Boooo'd!

Kirk, you sweet little fluff ball!!! I'm so glad the neuter went well and you're recovering nicely. Will have you in my thoughts on Thursday and will pray that it goes quickly and well. Don't worry about the hair loss to the surgery, you may look "silly" for a short while but doggie hair grows back quickly.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21