Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chihuahuas Fighting

Thank you for your informative post. It really means a different way of looking at the dog-human relationship, doesn't it? With four dogs, plus a crabby old cat in the mix, it is going to be time consuming to attempt this approach, but I guess no more time cosuming than breaking up fights, wondering what I am doing wrong, and staying on top of all of the behaviors I do not want.

Just a few follow ups...

NILIF is definitely a wonderful way to go because, as Giselle said, it is a gentle way to assert yourself as the leader and the dogs learn that you are the owner of all the good things and they have to please you in order to earn them. Plus, it can boost their confidence. When we first got Ginger home she was an absolute basket case, afraid of everything. She growled in fear of my husband for the first two weeks we had her. We almost gave her away but decided we needed to stick it out. Then, a month or two after we got her I learned about NILIF and boy did it make a difference! Ginger started gaining confidence because she was learning and performing and getting rewarded.

When it comes to being the pack leader, it's definitely not an easy thing to do for most people. I'm the same way you are when I come home and have been away from my babies all day, all I want to do is cuddle and play with them, even though I know I shouldn't. I've had behaviorists and my vet tell me that the best thing to do when you leave and enter the house is to just ignore the dogs. Especially when returning home, just walk in and go about your business for at least 5 minutes or so. Then, when the dogs are calmed down, call them to you for petting and affection (but make them sit first!). It's totally opposite of how we humans are, but it communicates a simple, direct message to the dogs that you are the alpha, you come and go as you please and they can't demand your attention but you can demand theirs. And they're ok with it. Despite the emotions we put on our dogs, they're programmed to accept a pack hierarchy so acting that way is just natural to dogs and they accept and understand it.

I have to admit, though, that I am definitely not consistent with this. it's so hard when I see their happy little tails wagging when I walk in the door! I guess that's my one little spot to not follow the rules.

As far as these efforts being time consuming, I suppose they are. But like you said, not any more time consuming than dealing with all the problem behaviors. The trick is just to make it a part of your daily routine. Even though I'm bad about wanting to love on my dogs right when I walk in the door, I do try to have rules of behavior for every activity. And as time has gone on, I've found that it doesn't really take the dogs all that long to learn the rules, and once they learn them, as long as I am consistent in asking them to do the same things every time it ends up making things so nice and structured and mannerly! They learn to anticipate things like meal time and go straight to their spot and sit and wait for dinner like they know I want them to. When I reach for the leashes, they know to sit and wait for me to put the leashes on. Not jumping all over me getting all excited. So it does take a time investment to train the new behaviors and stick with them their whole lives, but in the long run your life ends up being much happier and your home much more tranquil.

Nature of the Breed

Having owned a Chihuahua I can tell you that they are just naturally inclined to be aggressive if they feel their space or position is being threatened. It is also why I will not own another Chihuahua. Having said that, owners and their family members are to blame for some of the snarling and biting due to teasing the dog or thinking nipping and baring teeth us somehow funny.

However, they are, IMHO, the Pit Bulls of the small dog world. No other small dog, with the possible exception of the Dachshund, behaves like this. I have had multiple experiences with other small dog breeds and Chihuahuas are the only breed I have dealt with that needs to be taught how to be nice.

Who needs the aggravation? Next dog I get will be a Yellow Lab or an English Bulldog. I want calmness in a pet not WWF Summer Smackdown pro-wrestling. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
    Having owned a Chihuahua I can tell you that they are just naturally inclined to be aggressive if they feel their space or position is being threatened. It is also why I will not own another Chihuahua. Having said that, owners and their family members are to blame for some of the snarling and biting due to teasing the dog or thinking nipping and baring teeth us somehow funny.

However, they are, IMHO, the Pit Bulls of the small dog world. No other small dog, with the possible exception of the Dachshund, behaves like this. I have had multiple experiences with other small dog breeds and Chihuahuas are the only breed I have dealt with that needs to be taught how to be nice.

Who needs the aggravation? Next dog I get will be a Yellow Lab or an English Bulldog. I want calmness in a pet not WWF Summer Smackdown pro-wrestling. Make sense?
    It does make sense - as a matter of fact, my buddy who is a veterinarian in Florida - where they are an extremely popular - calls them "lap alligators" none to fondly. Even pit bulls are usually better behaved!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Well, Aggressive dogs that want to fight can be dangerous, regardless of their size, and as the owner you may be held responsible for your dog's actions. Remember that your first duty is to protect other people and their animals from being harmed by your pet.