Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Pyrenees?

Great Pyrenees?

i was just looking at information about this breed of dog and it seems like it is not a popular breed! I mean it seems to me like in order to obtain this breed people may need to travel! I am from Iowa and doesnt seem like the breed is populated well! does anyone else seem to think so too? also does anyone have any other information about this breed? like what does a registered puppy like that run for? thanks for all the help!

They aren't popular because they are difficult dogs. My Uncle has them. He's a cattle farmer. Before he got his Pyrs he lost calves every year to coyotes. Since he got them not one calf has been taken. The coyote numbers are seriously reduced. The Pyrs kill them. Those dogs hang around the farm yard all day and disappear at dusk--that's when they head out to patrol the cattle fields. No one sees them again until dawn. That's what they were bred to do. My Uncle didn't do any training to get them to protect his cattle; it's pure instinct.

Unfortunately, they also "protect" the farm from other critters, including cats, stray dogs, chickens, ect. They have a very strong prey drive. Small things are prey and alot of things are smaller than a Great Pyr!

They need a job and without one they can quickly become very destructive. Like most giant breeds, they drool and need a ton of grooming. My uncle shaves his in the summer. He lives in a high tick area and in full coat he can't find the ticks on his dogs. They are beautiful animals and the ones I have been around are very good with people, even children.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I have always been interested in that breed and would like one some day but as Glacier has said they are a flock or herd protector and they need a job. I'm sure there is a breeder somewhere breeding them for temperment to be introduced as family members. Take a look in the back of Dog Fancy Magazine. There are breeders listed of all breeds.
    I know the collie was used only for herding and driving cattle, but now are mostly bred for temperment and are great loving family dogs. I seem to like them. lol

Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

They are beautiful, loving dogs, but not a good apartment dog. They are not for anyone who would be gone all day leaving the dog with nothing to do. As with any herding breed, a bored Pyr is a destructive Pyr, but given their size, they can destroy a lot more than a smaller dog. They have a long coat, which requires a lot of grooming if you care what they look like, and are droolers. All these factors mean they are not a dog for just anyone, so that is why, adorable as they are, they are not a "popular" dog. Check http://petfinder.com, as some do end up in rescue. There's one guy in Ottumwa, IA for example ...

They don't seem like a popular dog. I've only ever seen one once before. I have to say it was extremely cute. I love giant dogs like that.

If you're looking for breeders, I would be careful with the back of Dog Fancy. It has a lot of glorified BYBs.

Though I've never owned a Great Pyrenees, I have a touch of expeirence with them. Some friends of the family have bred/shown them since the very earliest I remember these people. As a matter-of-fact, my sister and I dogsat for them last summer when they took one of their young females, Emma, to a show. We had 6 puppies and and 7 adults (2 were boarding) to look after, along with their 7 horses. The dogs were all quite well behaved and beautiful, loving animals. Kisses were never in short supply and they loved to be petted. It was a total blast to spend time with the breed and I would love to do so again. Maybe some day I'll aquire a pup from them. Certainly not in the near future, but sometime...

A couple pictures of the pups we dogsat:

(The orange cat is Peanut Butter and the black one is Jelly. They're brothers and were good friends with the pupperoos.)

~Danny~
    [19 y/o Crazed Human Female]

-The Dogs-
    Mac
    [6 y/o female BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    Julie
    [9 y/o female Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute]
    Angel
    [7 y/o female German Shepherd/Lab]
    J.W.
    [6 y/o male BC/German Shepherd/Lab]
    R.B. Blackfoot
    [16 y/o Lab/German Shepherd]

-The Horses-
    Prissy
    [12 y/o Bay Tobiano Paint Mare]
    Miracles Happen
    [5 y/o Solid Bay Paint/Quarter Horse Mare]

All I really know is that in 1999 we had one named Jada in our training class who seemed rather docile, and that there are 2 I see often going for walks around my neighborhood that seem to be very in tune to their owner.

Niņo & Eliza

Iilo vbmenu_register("postmenu_1594301", true);

If you're looking for breeders, I would be careful with the back of Dog Fancy. It has a lot of glorified BYBs.
    Yes you are right about that!!!!
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

We had one, we loved him mightily. He died at age 8, of osteosarcome (cancer). That's one of the big problems with the giants, they have relatively short lifespans (8-10 year average). He was a companion dog only - gorgeous, friendly. He did drool and shed like mad. But the main reason we wouldn't get another one in addition to the short lifespan - is that he was just like the breed books say "obedient when within arms reach of owner." They run whenever they get a chance, in order to set up a nice big safety perimeter around their "flock", they know what needs to be done better than you do and they intend to do it whether you want them to or not. They were bred as flock guardians, NOT as herders. This means they were bred to be independent thinkers ("where is that wolf/ coyote and how can I kill it") and not to be obedient to commands like herders. Ours was a wonderful dog. We all still miss him - even our vet still talks about him altho he passed on over 5 years ago. But he'll be our last Pyr.

I got this off a dog forum I am on a lot. Also I'm adding pics of my friend's pyr, Kiah.

"About the Great Pyrenees

The Great Pyrenees, also known as the Pyrenean Mountain Dog, lived for a long time in Andorra before being discovered in the early 20th century. When found they were strong, assertive sheep guard dogs in the mountains. Today the Great Pyrenees is mainly used as a guard of both its family and flock. It has also been know to be used as an avalanche rescue dog, as a cart-puller, a sled dog, and as a pack dog on ski team.
    The Great Pyrenees Temperment and Intelligence

The Great Pyrenees is known for its confident and gentle nature. They are patient, courageous and very intelligent dogs. Being somewhat reserved, these noble animals will go into defensive mode if territory is invaded. They will lovingly and loyally guard their flock with extreme poise and attention.
    Great Pyrenees Characteristics

The Great Pyrenees has small, triangular ears that stop when they meet the small, dark amber eyes on the face. The facial fur is thin and smooth with an upper lip covers the bottom one. Each front leg has a dew claw and is punctuated with a spherical, well padded paw with arched toes. The hind legs were created with a double dew claw and have very similar paws to those in the front. Both the shoulder and thighs are made of tough muscles that help this powerful dog to move about easily.

The Pyrenees has a strikingly beautiful white coat which may or may not contain shades of gray, badger, reddish brown, or tan on the head, ears or tail. The coat is resistant in all types of weather because it is made of two layers, an elongated, flat, thick outer coat and an impenetrable, wooly undercoat. Though the coat is more plentiful around the neck, it appears to produce a mane in males. The coat does tend to layer the length of the back of the front and hind legs.
    Great Pyrenees Health Concerns

The Great Pyrenees, like most giant breed dogs, is prone to elbow and hip dysplasia. They may also be prone to skin conditions in hot weather.
    Choosing a Great Pyrenees

The Great Pyrenees is not made for apartment living and needs open space and exercise to thrive. They can be very active as puppies and tend to wander off if not watched carefully. They are great family dogs although they do drool and slobber and some bark a lot. As a general rule, the best climate for these dogs is in the cooler climates."

My friend that owns Kiah also lives in Iowa do you want breeder information from her? She would know of some!

"To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I can assure you that responsible breeders are very, very glad that their breed is not so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by LilacDragon
    I can assure you that responsible breeders are very, very glad that their breed is not so popular.
    Ain't that the truth!! This is why I like rarer breeds. You've received a lot of good information so I can't add much more, but be prepared for drool (and lots of it!).

They are very sweet dogs. Usually they will not bother animals in their "pack" if raised with them but will chase other animals (such as neighbors cats) They need a large area to run so they can get lots of excercise. They like to herd things so they do better off in the country where they are not constantly trying to herd cars. They are actually very popular where i live. I know several people who have them. They get along well with most people and are very lovable.

i love pyrees! Such sweet natured dogs..my firend has 2..they are just the sweetest dogs..here is one of her boys Riley (a very dirty riley i might add)